U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:56 PM

3,424 posts, read 3,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
thanks solytaire

what kind of poplar is that exactly? i believe east texas does have some varieties of cottonwoods and such.

it may be just from what i seen, but it seemes like georgia has more varieties of maples..as far as pines go, there may be some types i'm not aware of, but i do know that longleaf, loblolly, and shortleaf pine are all pretty widespread in both east texas and georgia

That is the yellow poplar range..

As far as pines, you're right..but if Im not mistaken Upper East Texas only Has longleafs and loblollies...while Deep East Texas/southeast Texas contains loblollies, shortleafs and longleafs...

In GA, TN, Alabama and parts of VA the pines are mostly slash pines...although they do have all of the other varieties as well (Except for VA).

Im not familiar with cottonwoods, but I wouldnt doubt if East Texas has them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 PM

7,747 posts, read 8,824,205 times
Why is it that everytime anyone talks about Southerness, it's always assumed that it's a designation that is only associated with the negative?
"Southerness" as a cultural expression is directly affected by the amount of growth (from outside the region) that a city has experienced. Cities that grow more slowly can probably retain their Southern culture more easily because they have the dominent culture which "overwhelms" and influences their newcomers. Cities with explosive growth probably experience the opposite: newcomers "overwhelming" the local culture.

So, if you were to rank the Southerness of a group of cities, I'd expect that you'd have to carefully look at their growth rates and where that growth was coming from.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:00 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,260,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
That is the yellow poplar range..

As far as pines, you're right..but if Im not mistaken Upper East Texas only Has longleafs and loblollies...while Deep East Texas/southeast Texas contains loblollies, shortleafs and longleafs...

In GA, TN, Alabama and parts of VA the pines are mostly slash pines...although they do have all of the other varieties as well (Except for VA).

Im not familiar with cottonwoods, but I wouldnt doubt if East Texas has them.
yeah i wish those grew here naturally. that's an awesome tree, especially during winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City