Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 01:53 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,914,539 times

Advertisements

Havent been to all of the cities, but I live in Orlando. I'd put Orlando last in southerness. It's more NY/Latin American now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I haven't been to Orlando in about 5 years, but it was VERY southern the last time I was there. The hispanic population of a city doesn't determine how southern it is, at least in my opinion it doesn't.

Orlando has the 2nd largest Puerto Rican population in the nation, behind NYC. And most of Orlando's PR population comes from NY. Add that to the large amount of people from NY, Mass., and NJ, and it aint southern man. Trust me. I'm a native to FL, as is my wife. All of our neighbors (mostly hispanic) except 1 or 2 that I can think of are NOT from NY or NJ. To my immediate left - NJ. to my right - NY (by way of the Domincan Republic). In front of me - NY. And this is pretty common throughout.

Orlando has changed more than any other city I can think of in the last 5-7 years.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:02 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Orlando has the 2nd largest Puerto Rican population in the nation, behind NYC. And most of Orlando's PR population comes from NY. Add that to the large amount of people from NY, Mass., and NJ, and it aint southern man. Trust me. I'm a native to FL, as is my wife. All of our neighbors (mostly hispanic) except 1 or 2 that I can think of are NOT from NY or NJ. To my immediate left - NJ. to my right - NY (by way of the Domincan Republic). In front of me - NY. And this is pretty common throughout.

Orlando has changed more than any other city I can think of in the last 5-7 years.
Did you read my response at all? I said "The hispanic population of a city doesn't determine how southern it is, at least in my opinion it doesn't." In my opinion, it doesn't have any real effect on whether a city "feels" southern or not.

Orlando could be 99% hispanic, and I would still get a feeling of southerness from it. I've lived in Florida too...and in Atlanta my neighbors are from all over the country and all over the world. It's all just opinion anyway, and mine is that Orlando is hella-southern.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 11-02-2009 at 02:24 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 02:40 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,470 times
their locations below the mason dixon line makes them all southern. most of them will have all, some, or a mix of their own traditions, which make them southern; however, the most common one---that no one can change, no matter how much it bothers the northerners, westerners, or "wishers and wannabes to be in other places on the earth---or in space---is their geographical location. just because several hundred thousand asians moved to the west coast area of california did not redefine california as a western pacific state located in the western section of the u.s.. the same principle is true in the south. the pool may be getting crowded w/ those from the north, west, midwest, etc. nevertheless, they don't identify the geographic region---it remains the south.

Last edited by kingchef; 11-02-2009 at 02:54 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
their locations below the mason dixon line makes them all southern. most of them will have all, some, or a mix of their own traditions, which make them southern; however, the most common one---that no one can change, no matter how much it bothers the northerners, westerners, or "wishers and wannabes to be in other places on the earth---or in space---is their geographical location. just because several hundred thousand asians moved to the west coast area of california did not redefine california as a wstern pacific state. the same principle is true in the south. the pool may be getting crowded w/ those from the north, west, midwest, etc. nevertheless, they don't identify the geographic region---it remains the south.
Very nice post...I think the problem is that many people - some on a subconscious level - feel that being "southern" is a negative thing. That's why the recent and modern changes found in southern cities, according to some, make them less southern...while recent and modern changes found in cities in other regions don't make them less a part of their geographical region.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:15 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,531 times
1. New Orleans
2. Winston-Salem
3. Richmond
4. Atlanta
5. Dallas
6. Daytona Beach
7. Houston
8. Virginia Beach
9. Austin
10. Orlando

Old 11-02-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Did you read my response at all? I said "The hispanic population of a city doesn't determine how southern it is, at least in my opinion it doesn't." In my opinion, it doesn't have any real effect on whether a city "feels" southern or not.

Orlando could be 99% hispanic, and I would still get a feeling of southerness from it. I've lived in Florida too...and in Atlanta my neighbors are from all over the country and all over the world. It's all just opinion anyway, and mine is that Orlando is hella-southern.
Well, like the other poster "Grapico" who I believe also used to live in Orlando, he also put Orlando last (I believe on pg 3). Maybe he can shed some light as to why he also pit Orlando last (the least southern) in this poll. Not sure how you can say a town could be 99% hispanic and still be southern, but OK.

PS- Orlando is far from southern. 10 yrs ago, maybe, but not now. The poster above also put Orlando last. Not sure if he/she is from Orlando.

PS #2 - I certainly dont find southern as negative at all. I wish Orlando (and FL for that matter) was still southern. But I really dont consider southern in most areas anymore. I am a FL cracker but there aint too many of us here anymore.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:40 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Orlando still has a bit of Southern in it. We were by this supermarket along this road (may have been Kissimmee) and nobody can't tell me I wasn't in the South. The area was very Southern mixed with a little bit of "Hickness", the whole vibe was totally different than up the road. I saw confederate flags (Southern) and people walking in the store with no shoes on ("Hickness"), etc.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:08 PM

Sure, there are going to be pockets of areas 45 minutes (and an entire county away) from Orlando that might be still considered southern, but Osceola County is FAR dfferent now too.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:55 PM

There is nothing wrong with Orlando being southern...it's not a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City