Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2010, 01:22 PM

22 posts, read 56,248 times

Advertisements

*I know this is long, so for those of you who don't want to read the whole thing - comments, thoughts, opinions, etc on either city are greatly appreciated. Thanks!*
We are trying to figure out where we should move. Fargo, ND or Boise, ID.

So far, we have a small pros / cons list (which I will continue to update).
We are a young couple soon to be married and we are looking for a CLEAN, safe city with lots of charm and enough to do to keep us entertained.

What we are really wanting is:
1) a CLEAN city in appearance
2) a fair amount of snow in the winter and mild summers
3) a city that is safe (I am from the SF bay area (east bay) and would like something similar to the San Ramon, Danville, Alamo feel.)
4) the occasional concert or similar form of entertainment
5) decent job market
6) upscale dining with a wide variety is a must

Fargo, ND Pros:
-Haven't been there yet, but appears to be very presentable and clean.
-The residents seem to care about the city a lot.
-3 universities in the area
-seems very safe
-seems to have lots of dining and entertainment options for such a small city.

Fargo, ND Cons:
-Extremely cold
-Higher cost of living
-Small city
-Far from families

Boise, ID Pros:
-Lower cost of living.
-Bigger city and surrounding areas
-Lots of dining options and entertainment
-Lots closer to both families

Boise, ID Cons:
-City and surrounding areas don't appear to be as well kept - with the exception of some neighborhoods.
- Hot summer, not much winter snow

Thats all we really have for now.
We would greatly appreciate input from people who have been to both or lived in one or the other. We are going to visit both cities soon, but I would still appreciate opinions from others who have spent time in each city, in case we overlook some things on our visits.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 01:55 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bears8489 View Post
*I know this is long, so for those of you who don't want to read the whole thing - comments, thoughts, opinions, etc on either city are greatly appreciated. Thanks!*
We are trying to figure out where we should move. Fargo, ND or Boise, ID.

So far, we have a small pros / cons list (which I will continue to update).
We are a young couple soon to be married and we are looking for a CLEAN, safe city with lots of charm and enough to do to keep us entertained.

What we are really wanting is:
1) a CLEAN city in appearance
2) a fair amount of snow in the winter and mild summers
3) a city that is safe (I am from the SF bay area (east bay) and would like something similar to the San Ramon, Danville, Alamo feel.)
4) the occasional concert or similar form of entertainment
5) decent job market
6) upscale dining with a wide variety is a must

Fargo, ND Pros:
-Haven't been there yet, but appears to be very presentable and clean.
-The residents seem to care about the city a lot.
-3 universities in the area
-seems very safe
-seems to have lots of dining and entertainment options for such a small city.

Fargo, ND Cons:
-Extremely cold
-Higher cost of living
-Small city
-Far from families

Boise, ID Pros:
-Lower cost of living.
-Bigger city and surrounding areas
-Lots of dining options and entertainment
-Lots closer to both families

Boise, ID Cons:
-City and surrounding areas don't appear to be as well kept - with the exception of some neighborhoods.
- Hot summer, not much winter snow

Thats all we really have for now.
We would greatly appreciate input from people who have been to both or lived in one or the other. We are going to visit both cities soon, but I would still appreciate opinions from others who have spent time in each city, in case we overlook some things on our visits.

Thanks!!

In either case, you are in for quite a bit of culture shock; probably, more so for Fargo, as the relative isolation and extreme winter temperature drops are going to be very uncomfortable for a Californian.

You might want to consider the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited by MassVt; 04-07-2010 at 02:06 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 02:07 PM

22 posts, read 56,248 times
Actually, I am currently in Pocatello, ID and I have been here a little over a year now.

I can deal with the winter and other things that small towns bring.

I would just stay in the bay area - or even consider the Pacific NW, but we are looking for something smaller.It seems in the Pacific NW, it's either small small town or suburbs of the larger cities. Something between the size of Fargo and Boise seems about ideal to me.

Last edited by bears8489; 04-07-2010 at 02:28 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 02:25 PM

8 posts, read 13,025 times
Boise is pretty hot in the summer (100+ days aren't rare) but I think it's an extremely well kept city! I went to Boise State and was always impressed with all but the worst parts of town. Rent is pretty cheap too so it's easier to afford the best areas to live (downtown or hyde park maybe). I was only in Fargo for a couple days but there didn't seem to be as much to do when you compare with Boise/Eagle/Meridian/Nampa/Caldwell (lots more people w/i a 30mi radius). N. Dakota isn't a weekend trip to anywhere either... Lots of good concerts come through Boise because there's nowhere else to go between SLC and Seattle. Nighlife is remarkably decent and it's nice that all the bars are within walking distance downtown. I lived in Boise for 5 years and wouldn't hesitate to suggest it to anyone.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:48 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
Between these two choices, Boise. Closer to familes, much prettier, has mountains, much better climate, bigger city with more attractions and dining options. There are literally dozens of Western/Mountain states I would live in before I ever considered Fargo (Spokane, Missoula, Albq., N.M., Park City, UT, SLC, UT, Bend, OR and MANY MORE. I'd even prefer Lincoln Nebraska over Fargo. What a strange choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City