Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 10:17 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Some people, particularly in Fort Worth, gets so defensive when people use Dallas to refer to DFW. It is pretty common practice to refer to a metro by the name of its largest city. Though, I admittedly use DFW.

If anything, I feel bad for San Jose when people use San Francisco to refer to the Bay Area.
Historically, it's the most insulting thing you can say about Ft. Worth... it's just not a good thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 10:54 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Historically, it's the most insulting thing you can say about Ft. Worth... it's just not a good thing to do.
But that's the name of the metro, why is it a bad thing?

Old 09-27-2016, 11:38 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Because Fort Worth is it's own city. Even though both share the same metro, they are not the same cities. It's like saying Washington DC is Baltimore? Even though they are close by they are not the same.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:33 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Because Fort Worth is it's own city. Even though both share the same metro, they are not the same cities. It's like saying Washington DC is Baltimore? Even though they are close by they are not the same.
Dallas and Fort Worth are not the same city, though neither is one of them with any one of their suburbs, but they are part of the same metropolitan area. No one is using "Dallas" to refer just to "Fort Worth," only to refer to "Dallas-Fort Worth" as a whole, which is a MSA, not a CSA like Washington D.C.-Baltimore or the Bay Area.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:32 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,521 times
Dallas is the much bigger city, it's more vibrant, has better transportation IMO, etc. But on the downside it has very hot summers which can typically last well over 6 months a year, vs. Cleveland's harsh winters, which only last 4.5 months tops. Dallas has more sports teams but also costs more to live in than Cleveland from my understanding although I could be wrong there. Personally I'd prefer Cleveland because it's more of a 4 season city.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:49 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99percent View Post
I know these are two very different cities, but I may be relocating to Dallas soon. I havent had the chance to visit Dallas yet, but will be soon.

I am currently in the Cleveland area, and was wondering how the 2 cities compare.
How bad and long are the summers?

Does Dallas have a "big city" feel?

How affordable are the subirbs of Dallas? What are some good suburbs near the airport?

Any other info would be helpful.

Thanks.
Cleveland has an enormous CSA, which includes the MSA of 2 other cities (Akron and Canton). Cleveland has a higher population density. But it pales in comparison to Dallas CSA, which is twice as many people.

But Dallas does have a big city feel. Keep in mind that Cleveland's density, over 2,000 per square mile over Dallas does not mean that Dallas lacks a big city feel. Dallas has 1.3 million people in the city proper, Cleveland only has 400,000. Dallas is also, physically, 4 times larger than Cleveland. If you want a big city, go to Dallas. If you want a city that is big enough with an intense urban core, go to Cleveland.

Cleveland's claim to fame is that you are not going to get anything with that level of population density in Ohio. It is the quintessential urban experience in that state.

For what you're looking for a better comparison would be Columbus Ohio. The sheer size of Dallas, in all things, makes a comparison to Cleveland unfair.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:17 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
The name of the metro is DFW... Dallas-Ft. Worth... NOT just "Dallas".

Why would you think that?

(I know I'm veering off topic with this, but why is this still not sticking with people? It's not "The Dallas Area")

Old 09-29-2016, 11:49 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The name of the metro is DFW... Dallas-Ft. Worth... NOT just "Dallas".

Why would you think that?

(I know I'm veering off topic with this, but why is this still not sticking with people? It's not "The Dallas Area")
And you've been on here how many years trying to tell people and educate them, and how has that worked out? A lot of people are stupid when it comes to matters of geography, or just lazy (using just 'Dallas' instead of 'DFW'). We all get it, Fort Worth is its own city. Let it go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk

Old 09-29-2016, 12:37 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Dallas is the much bigger city, it's more vibrant, has better transportation IMO, etc. But on the downside it has very hot summers which can typically last well over 6 months a year, vs. Cleveland's harsh winters, which only last 4.5 months tops. Dallas has more sports teams but also costs more to live in than Cleveland from my understanding although I could be wrong there. Personally I'd prefer Cleveland because it's more of a 4 season city.
Unless your definition of "very hot" is anything over 80 degrees, this is absolutely false. Mid-June through mid- Sept is reliably hot. Some years are worse than others, but May is usually just warm and wet while October is generally mild.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:22 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
And you've been on here how many years trying to tell people and educate them, and how has that worked out? A lot of people are stupid when it comes to matters of geography, or just lazy (using just 'Dallas' instead of 'DFW'). We all get it, Fort Worth is its own city. Let it go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSFlvxnbgk
I'm going to keep correcting, regardless of who likes it or not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City