Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 06:48 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
And by the way, saying that an area that has almost 2.3 million people within 110 sq miles, is somehow "suburban", is beyond silly......
No.. stating there aren't suburban parts within those 110 sq miles is beyond silly.

Actually it's not silly, it's just ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 06:54 PM

331 posts, read 672,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
No.. stating there aren't suburban parts within those 110 sq miles is beyond silly.

Actually it's not silly, it's just ignorant.
I guess your definition of "surburban" and "residential" is different than mine. He also used words like "vast portions". Again, VERY silly.......

Old 11-16-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I guess your definition of "surburban" and "residential" is different than mine. He also used words like "vast portions". Again, VERY silly.......
I'm just wondering if you've been there often? We are not the first to consider the area very suburban in feel. I have family in Auburndale (sp?) and it's definitely not urban . Although, most of the area is suburban when in comparison to Manhattan, Bronx, and Brooklyn.. But there are definitely areas that feel suburban, despite the high population density.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I'm just wondering if you've been there often? We are not the first to consider the area very suburban in feel. I have family in Auburndale (sp?) and it's definitely not urban . Although, most of the area is suburban when in comparison to Manhattan, Bronx, and Brooklyn.. But there are definitely areas that feel suburban, despite the high population density.
First of all, Manhattan is nothing more than a city "downtown". Sure it's huge, and lots of people live in it, but it's just a downtown. No city has 'entire' areas that look like their downtowns.

Did you see where he said, "vast portions of Queens is suburban"? Do you agree with that? Brooklyn also has areas that could be said to have a "suburban" look.

But how far would someone have to walk or drive to be in a very busy street or intersection? Not to mention the lots that those houses sit on, are mostly much smaller than your avg typical suburb in America. Plus having sidewalks is also something that a lot of suburbs in America lack. Especially when you leave the inner-ring burbs and head outward.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:20 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Ive never been but I've been told there are very suburban parts of queens.

Not true?
This is true. It amazes me that people see a few parts of Queens like the Lefrak City/Corona area with all its apartment buildings near the LIE. They see it in the cab ride to JFK airport and think they know all of Queens, lol.

All or most parts of Whitestone, Bayside, Douglaston, Little Neck, Floral Park, Bellerose, Cambria Heights, Rosedale, Laurelton, Springfield Gardens, Howard Beach, Auburndale, Hollis Hills, Jamaica Estates, etc. can be described as suburban.

More semi-suburban to suburban would be Queens Village, Hollis, St Albans, Jamaica Hills, South Ozone Park, Richmond Hill, Middle Village etc. Also much of the Rockaways. Still more dense would be Woodhaven, Glendale, Maspeth and parts of Astoria.

There are some of the larger areas of Queens like Flushing, Jamaica and Forest Hills which contain both urban areas and suburban areas.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
This is true. It amazes me that people see a few parts of Queens like the Lefrak City/Corona area with all its apartment buildings near the LIE. They see it in the cab ride to JFK airport and think they know all of Queens, lol.

All or most parts of Whitestone, Bayside, Douglaston, Little Neck, Floral Park, Bellerose, Cambria Heights, Rosedale, Laurelton, Springfield Gardens, Howard Beach, Auburndale, Hollis Hills, Jamaica Estates, etc. can be described as suburban.

More semi-suburban to suburban would be Queens Village, Hollis, St Albans, Jamaica Hills, South Ozone Park, Richmond Hill, Middle Village etc. Also much of the Rockaways. Still more dense would be Woodhaven, Glendale, Maspeth and parts of Astoria.

There are some of the larger areas of Queens like Flushing, Jamaica and Forest Hills which contain both urban areas and suburban areas.
Ny'ers crack me up. Just like when they're in the outerboroughs and then say, "I'm heading to the city". When refering to going into Manhattan. Some will even argue the fact that Queens or Brooklyn is even NYC, they just don't know..... Lived there their entire lives in nyc and don't know.....

For some reason, NY'ers think that an entire city is suppose to look like Manhattan. They just don't understand the difference between a city neighborhood and the suburbs.....

If this is your defintion of suburb, then all American cities are nothing more than suburbs with downtowns. Cause what you're saying can be said about EVERY single city in America, every last one of them. What American city is even denser than Queens? Please list them. I know SF is up there, who else? Chicago's density is less than 13,000 people per sq mile. And I've never heard people refer to Chicago as not being "urban". Same with Philly, I believe it's density is right around Chicago's. Is Philly "surburban" like also? How many American cities even have a density level over 10,000 people per sq mile? Not too many....

This is probably the last time I will comment on this too. 110 sq miles with almost 2.3 million people, and a density of 21,000 per sq mile says it all.

A lot of people in Manhattan consider the outerboroughs to be suburbs, and ALL of LI to be "country". I see you have LI listed as your address, do you consider yourself to be living in the country? I know there is "country" out in LI. But it's more than a rock "throw" from Bayside or on the LI Expressway heading past JFK.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:01 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Ny'ers crack me up. Just like when they're in the outerboroughs and then say, "I'm heading to the city". When refering to going into Manhattan. Some will even argue the fact that Queens or Brooklyn is even NYC, they just don't know..... Lived there their entire lives in nyc and don't know.....

For some reason, NY'ers think that an entire city is suppose to look like Manhattan. They just don't understand the difference between a city neighborhood and the suburbs.....

If this is your defintion of suburb, then all American cities are nothing more than suburbs with downtowns. Cause what you're saying can be said about EVERY single city in America, every last one of them. What American city is even denser than Queens? Please list them. I know SF is up there, who else? Chicago's density is less than 13,000 people per sq mile. And I've never heard people refer to Chicago as not being "urban". Same with Philly, I believe it's density is right around Chicago's. Is Philly "surburban" like also? How many American cities even have a density level over 10,000 people per sq mile? Not too many....

This is probably the last time I will comment on this too. 110 sq miles with almost 2.3 million people, and a density of 21,000 per sq mile says it all.

A lot of people in Manhattan consider the outerboroughs to be suburbs, and ALL of LI to be "country". I see you have LI listed as your address, do you consider yourself to be living in the country? I know there is "country" out in LI. But it's more than a rock "throw" from Bayside or on the LI Expressway heading past JFK.
Trolls crack me up too.

I lived in Queens for over 20 years and know most of the borough pretty well. Your description of architecture on a different post makes me think you do not. But hey a few other people here on CD result to stereotypes instead of actual knowledge so you are not alone.

Many of the neighborhoods in Queens are far more dense than others. Many contain large number of apartment buildings, multi-family housing, etc that greatly increase the overall population of Queens. Thus Jackson Heights could be described as more urban while Bellerose could be described as suburban.

But don't let that fact keep you from sprouting the same old density argument over and over again.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:00 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Misconception?

Columbus, GA - People think a lot of stuff. They think I grew up in a suburb of Atlanta. Columbus is 100 miles south of the A a completely seperate city.

They think I must be from Mayberry. Columbus is a lot of things but it ain't Mayberry there's crime and problems just like any city.

They think I'm from Ohio.

DC- Now that I live in the DC burbs there seems to be misconception (particularly on this board) that everyone in DC is either dodging bullets or involved in politics. Have yet to meet anyone that works in politics not even one of those interns having affairs with congressmen. The only close thing to insider I've ever done is overhearing a conversation between two people one of which had a friend of a friend who worked in the white house talking about Obama's cabinet picks right after the election. So that was kinda neat knowing who he picked before it was in the news.

When I first moved up here my mom kept telling me to be careful when I lived in a fairly safe Virginia subdivision. She didn't realize that the part of VA I lived in was a lot safer than the neighborhood I grew up in just because I was so close to the big city.

Of course there's the misconception that DC is boring and nothing but politics. DC is pretty cool and I even like Northern Virginia because it's so quiet but so close to the excitement of the big city.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:06 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,558 times
Quote:
Look at Phoenix for a prime example. Phoenix barely existed before the 1950's. But after the invention of air conditioning, the place exploded in population. Phoenix is now the 5th largest city in the US (it surpassed Philly a few years back). Philly has been heavily populated just about since this country was founded. Look how narrow the streets in Philly, Pittsburgh, Boston, Baltimore, etc. They were built way before the automobile.

The sunbelt exploded when cars where widely available, that's the difference. Look how much wider the streets are, how the homes have bigger lots, almost non existence of rowhouses, etc. The car has everything to do with why the "newer" cities are much less dense.
That's true about Phoenix. But there are plenty of warm places that thrived before air conditioning. Look at Atlanta it was a big city in its day just not as huge as it is now. Shucks lets take it way back to other parts of the world that thrived for millenia that are super hot way before air conditioning.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

x100. I'm not sure why worldwanderer is trying to argue with us..

They are obvious not like a suburb to Des Moines, Iowa (which I would consider rural) or something, but the areas you listed are certainly suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City