U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 09:03 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,302,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
I second that
Well, the city of St. Louis still has one of the highest per-capita crime rates in the nation, but the metro area doesn't...it's considered pretty safe - but I think people perceive them to be one in the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 09:08 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,058,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Well, the city of St. Louis still has one of the highest per-capita crime rates in the nation, but the metro area doesn't...it's considered pretty safe - but I think people perceive them to be one in the same.
It's really concentrated in north City, you are relatively safe in the south side of the city. The burbs are very safe for the most part.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:54 PM

643 posts, read 818,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I want to see what happens next! Did they get a table, did they have to go somewhere less gay? Life in Atlanta seems so complicated.
Thanks for the good laugh

Old 11-07-2009, 10:02 PM

643 posts, read 818,655 times
phoenix is always hot(only 6 months out of the year)

Old 11-07-2009, 10:03 PM

1,802 posts, read 3,100,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I will also add about Atlanta the misconception that it's the most sprawled out, suburban oriented, conservative, backwards, no soul having city on the planet.

For proof against that:

YouTube - Midtown Atlanta
Conservative and backwards, no.

Suburban Oriented, yes.

No Soul, meh...Toss up.

Just my two cents. I lived there for a little under a year. Not a bad place at all.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Conservative and backwards, no.

Suburban Oriented, yes.

No Soul, meh...Toss up.

Just my two cents. I lived there for a little under a year. Not a bad place at all.
Now how in the world do you get "suburban oriented" from that video clip? Or are you just giving your opinion in general? Usually people who have the misconception of Atlanta being suburban lived in/experienced the suburbs - not the city. The city isn't suburban oriented.

Just in case you don't remember, here is the corner AND the restaurant where the video takes place - Flying Biscuit.
(21) 10th avenue - Atlanta, Georgia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/14365866@N07/2416737094/ - broken link)

Another view of Piedmont and 10th:

DSCN0313.JPG on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apexdv/178020578/ - broken link)

Old 11-07-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Now how in the world do you get "suburban oriented" from that video clip? Or are you just giving your opinion in general? Usually people who have the misconception of Atlanta being suburban lived in/experienced the suburbs - not the city. The city isn't suburban oriented.

Just in case you don't remember, here is the corner AND the restaurant where the video takes place - Flying Biscuit.
(21) 10th avenue - Atlanta, Georgia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/14365866@N07/2416737094/ - broken link)

Another view of Piedmont and 10th:

DSCN0313.JPG on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apexdv/178020578/ - broken link)
I didnt get it from the video clip. I got it from having lived in buckhead for nearly a year.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
I didnt get it from the video clip. I got it from having lived in buckhead for nearly a year.
I figured that's what you were saying after rereading your post. I can see how you would think that Atlanta is suburban living in Buckhead. Parts of Buckhead are suburban-like, but I wouldn't actually go so far as to say they are completely suburban when compared to the actual suburbs.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
I figured that's what you were saying after rereading your post. I can see how you would think that Atlanta is suburban living in Buckhead. Parts of Buckhead are suburban-like, but I wouldn't actually go so far as to say they are completely suburban when compared to the actual suburbs.
Drive down Piedmont South of Lindbergh. Anywhere you go a block off piedmont are ranch style homes with non gridded streets, very suburban.

Just look east of Piedmont Park, drive through there and tell me it doesnt look like a suburb.

Its not necessarily a bad thing, it wasnt my style but thats cool. Compared to other large cities in the U.S., Atlanta is very suburban.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:52 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,762,197 times
That the City of Miami is a large City in area,it is not,as it is only 36 square miles,the smallest big city in the country but it has a high density population(400,000+). Miami Metro-Dade consists of an area of over 1900 square miles with a population of 2,500,000 as Dade County consist of 38 independent municipalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City