U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2009, 03:10 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,279,298 times

Advertisements

Cape Coral/Fort Myers, FL myths:

1. It's a sleepy small town....Cape Coral has 140,000 residents....Lee County has about 600,000

2. It's a retirement place for rich old people....while some parts certainly qualify, Cape Coral has a large middle age population and the city of Fort Myers has a large younger population.

3. Everyone here is a Yankee transplant.... while there are a lot of transplants a good amount of native Floridians relocate here to escape the hectic South Florida metro. Certain areas farther inland are still very Southern in culture.

4. The beaches here are all private owned by snobbish senior citizens with beachfront mansions and exclusive condos.... Fort Myers Beach has well over 30 public access parking lots, Sanibel island has ample public parking and there is a massive state park with fully public parking and access.

5. It's a flyover town with nothing but a nice beach and is dead in the offseason....Fort Myers is home to spring training for both the Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins, has minor league baseball and hockey teams, a growing Florida public university (FGCU), an excellent and well used downtown with a major riverfront, a vast and well used park system and many events brought in every year at multiple venues ranging from a downtown convention center to two different college campuses to a medium sized sports arena. Also features several wildlife preserves and state parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:23 AM

398 posts, read 832,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post

YouTube - Schlage LiNK 0:30 Television Commercial Open Door From Distance

It NEVER rains like that in Seattle, contrary to popular belief (illustrated by this national commercial). Okay, maybe once a year there is a crazy rain storm, but it's not like that all year AT ALL.
LOL!!! Yah, that's more like a Midwest microburst. In actuality it is pretty much just drizzle 24-7-365. OK, OK, before I get flamed - maybe more like 23-6-355. hehe

Old 11-08-2009, 08:36 AM

307 posts, read 65,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Now how in the world do you get "suburban oriented" from that video clip? Or are you just giving your opinion in general? Usually people who have the misconception of Atlanta being suburban lived in/experienced the suburbs - not the city. The city isn't suburban oriented.

Just in case you don't remember, here is the corner AND the restaurant where the video takes place - Flying Biscuit.
(21) 10th avenue - Atlanta, Georgia on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/14365866@N07/2416737094/ - broken link)

Another view of Piedmont and 10th:

DSCN0313.JPG on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/apexdv/178020578/ - broken link)
HAHA. There is a restuarant in Atlanta called the FLYING BISCUIT.

LMFAO.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:22 AM

7,732 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
HAHA. There is a restuarant in Atlanta called the FLYING BISCUIT.

LMFAO.
Yes, there is.

A VERY successful restaurant, with an extremely loyal following. A restaurant that has grown from one small location in an old neighborhood, to one with 10 locations in 3 States.

Your point?

The Flying Biscuit Cafe

Old 11-08-2009, 10:25 AM

307 posts, read 65,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yes, there is.

A VERY successful restaurant, with an extremely loyal following. A restaurant that has grown from one small location in an old neighborhood, to one with 10 locations in 3 States.

Your point?

The Flying Biscuit Cafe
My point is that it's a perfect example of cultural differences between regions.

I sure hope they have gravy to go with them and some fried chicken.

yummmmmm..... i bet that is so good.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:33 AM

5,262 posts, read 7,784,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Sounds like Syracuse in regards to many suburbanites here. I've also heard the opposite from those that might have driven by it.

Also, it is bigger than people realize and relative to similarly sized cities, is actually less crime ridden than some suburbanites think.
I would imagine that would be the situation in Syracuse since my city is similar in that sense.

My city is the largest city in the county (like Syracuse), and it's the odd ball city considering it's extremely diverse in Bergen County (like Syracuse is in Onondaga County)... People call it "Crackensack" because they think the city is crime-ridden and poor, but in reality, it has a lower crime rate than the national average.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:10 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,836,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Cape Coral/Fort Myers, FL myths:

1. It's a sleepy small town....Cape Coral has 140,000 residents....Lee County has about 600,000

2. It's a retirement place for rich old people....while some parts certainly qualify, Cape Coral has a large middle age population and the city of Fort Myers has a large younger population.

3. Everyone here is a Yankee transplant.... while there are a lot of transplants a good amount of native Floridians relocate here to escape the hectic South Florida metro. Certain areas farther inland are still very Southern in culture.

4. The beaches here are all private owned by snobbish senior citizens with beachfront mansions and exclusive condos.... Fort Myers Beach has well over 30 public access parking lots, Sanibel island has ample public parking and there is a massive state park with fully public parking and access.

5. It's a flyover town with nothing but a nice beach and is dead in the offseason....Fort Myers is home to spring training for both the Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins, has minor league baseball and hockey teams, a growing Florida public university (FGCU), an excellent and well used downtown with a major riverfront, a vast and well used park system and many events brought in every year at multiple venues ranging from a downtown convention center to two different college campuses to a medium sized sports arena. Also features several wildlife preserves and state parks.
My cousin is just moved from my area to attend FGCU this fall as a freshman so Ive been there a few times these last few months. I was surprised at how it was, i was expecting it to be like what you stated in the bold. but its actually pretty cool with a lot to do, like around ft myers beach (it kinda reminded me of the keys). And on the other side of I-75 where the college is it looks very new, upper class and sophisticated especially near that huge upscale town center, I wasn't expecting that.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:32 PM

1,806 posts, read 3,209,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Drive down Piedmont South of Lindbergh. Anywhere you go a block off piedmont are ranch style homes with non gridded streets, very suburban.

Just look east of Piedmont Park, drive through there and tell me it doesnt look like a suburb.

Its not necessarily a bad thing, it wasnt my style but thats cool. Compared to other large cities in the U.S., Atlanta is very suburban.
To add to my point, just drive over most of buckhead. You have a very suburban mall in Lenox Square. I lived on Chastain Drive, fairly close to Chastain Park, if that area looks urban to you I think you need your eyes examined.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:26 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,758,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
To add to my point, just drive over most of buckhead. You have a very suburban mall in Lenox Square. I lived on Chastain Drive, fairly close to Chastain Park, if that area looks urban to you I think you need your eyes examined.
Were we discussing Chastain and Buckhead? No, we were talking about Ansley Park and Morningside, two 1920s neighborhoods that WERE suburban when they were developed, but the characteristics of suburbia have changed drastically since the early 1900s.

Your one neighborhood or one area of the city certainly doesn't make the entire city "suburban oriented". It's just another misconception that is being touted as reality - the very essence of a misconception.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:29 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,758,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLover View Post
My point is that it's a perfect example of cultural differences between regions.

I sure hope they have gravy to go with them and some fried chicken.

yummmmmm..... i bet that is so good.
Wrong...this is a restaurant owned by Emily Saliers of the Indigo Girls. It serves dishes like organic oatmeal, free-range chicken sausage, and turkey bacon. Keep throwing out silly criticisms when you have no idea what you're talking about. It's fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City