Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much are these two cities alike?
These two cities are identical. 2 2.25%
These two cities have more similiarities and less differences. 27 30.34%
These two cities are complete opposites. 17 19.10%
These two cities have more differences and less similiarities. 30 33.71%
I have not been to one or either of the cities. 13 14.61%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 AM

886 posts, read 1,555,893 times

Advertisements

San Diego is much superior to everything in central Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 08:59 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,874,797 times
San Diego is better overall, but Tampa is pretty nice.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:10 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,772,257 times
I would much rather live in San Diego than Tampa. San Diego to me, seems like a younger and more hip city than Tampa. Better bars and beaches. It's a short drive up to LA from San Diego. The closet major city to Tampa is Orlando. San Diego has more natural beauty than Tampa does.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:12 AM

398 posts, read 746,634 times
Tampa/St Pete area have much better usable beaches however... If the beach and water activities are your thing go with Tampa. San Diego wins everything else. The weather is also significantly warmer, feels tropical most of the year. The area is MUCH more lush. Whereas San Diego is mediterannean and dry.
I also think Tampa wins on sports, their fans seem more die hard and they have the bucs/rays/lightning.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:25 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,627,926 times
Never been to either, but they both seem like nice places.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,772,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
Tampa/St Pete area have much better usable beaches however... If the beach and water activities are your thing go with Tampa. San Diego wins everything else. The weather is also significantly warmer, feels tropical most of the year. The area is MUCH more lush. Whereas San Diego is mediterannean and dry.
I also think Tampa wins on sports, their fans seem more die hard and they have the bucs/rays/lightning.
Considering the level of support the Rays get, it makes the city look bad.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:49 AM

398 posts, read 746,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Considering the level of support the Rays get, it makes the city look bad.
It was my impression that the Padres had little support either, esp considering they have been there much longer. You have a lot of baseball fans in Tampa anyway, lots of Yankees and Boston fans, b/c of spring training and relocations. So while they may not support the Rays that much, the populous seems pretty sports oriented.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:12 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
It was my impression that the Padres had little support either, esp considering they have been there much longer. You have a lot of baseball fans in Tampa anyway, lots of Yankees and Boston fans, b/c of spring training and relocations. So while they may not support the Rays that much, the populous seems pretty sports oriented.
Last season SD ranked 17th in attendance at around 26,500, Tampa was 29th at 18,900.

2011 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Old 03-30-2012, 01:25 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,028,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I would much rather live in San Diego than Tampa. San Diego to me, seems like a younger and more hip city than Tampa. Better bars and beaches. It's a short drive up to LA from San Diego. The closet major city to Tampa is Orlando. San Diego has more natural beauty than Tampa does.
I'd agree with most of your post except better beaches. Florida's west coast has the most beautiful beaches in the country.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:46 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,798,876 times
Quote:
I've only been through Tampa a few times and it seems to be a bit removed from the actual coast to me though. Enlighten me- it seems like you have to drive at least 10-15 miles from Tampa to get to the more suburban, typical Florida coastal developed beaches of St. Pete/Clearwater and then up and down the Isthmus (whatever that's called) area. I do love that quality of beaches though with the white sand, uncrowded area and warm water, and obviously there is much more of a boat culture with all the inlets of waterways that define that area. San Diego beaches do seem to be much more integrated to the city proper and the defined topography, cliffs and caves make them interesting to explore- yes, our water is much cooler but we still have a pretty well defined beach culture.

I'll give Tampa the nice water temps and tropical weather, but I don't think the two cities compare that well otherwise.

Fair weather sports fans not withstanding there also is very much a Charger Mania and pretty good Padres following as well- I've got tickets to opening day here as I do every year with about 50 folks from our neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City