U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: How much are these two cities alike?
These two cities are identical. 2 3.45%
These two cities have more similiarities and less differences. 20 34.48%
These two cities are complete opposites. 12 20.69%
These two cities have more differences and less similiarities. 16 27.59%
I have not been to one or either of the cities. 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:41 AM

307 posts, read 65,620 times

Advertisements

I have been to Tampa, but not San Diego. Just from pics, Tampa seems like the east coast version of San Diego to me. But, that is just my opinion from someone who has never been.

Do you guys think that San Diego and Tampa are similiar or different?

Size, transit, the type of people, culture, density, weather, beaches, amenities, etc.

Compare and contrast the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:42 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,847,657 times
Ive been to both. I think Tampa could pass as the east coast version of SD.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:10 AM

7,883 posts, read 9,709,065 times
These two cities have more similiarities and less differences.

I love em both as well.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:34 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,847,657 times
there skylines look somewhat similar

SD:

http://msnbcmedia2.msn.com/j/msnbc/C...11a.hlarge.jpg

Tampa:

http://www.floridatrend.com/images/photos/09-01/tampa_skyline_%5Bhealy%5D.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-08-2009, 11:37 AM

307 posts, read 65,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post

SD:

Tampa:

http://www.floridatrend.com/images/photos/09-01/tampa_skyline_%5Bhealy%5D.jpg (broken link)
Yes, they do, both are around the same size.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:50 PM

7,883 posts, read 9,709,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post

SD:

Tampa:

They really do, even most of the buildings look similar.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:30 PM

2,683 posts, read 5,763,213 times
I lived in San Diego for 10 years, but I have yet to go to Tampa. From what I've heard and the pics I've seen, they do look similar. I used to think that Miami was more like the East Coast version of SD, but since Miami has become Manhattanized to become the 3rd largest skyline in America, that's not the case anymore, unless San Diego becomes Manhattanized in the near future.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:38 PM

Location: A Small Metro In Southeastern Virginia Called Virginia Beach/Norfolk.
1,555 posts, read 2,708,312 times
Like 'em both.

But I like Sn Diego a litle more.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:23 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,770,269 times
Well since I've lived in both, I guess you can say I have some expertise in this, LOL. I lived in San Diego for 13 years and in Tampa-St. Petersburg for 2 before I moved to the city I currently reside in.

While both cities have their similarities, there are significant differences between the two.

Both cities are on the west coast. San Diego on the West coast of the country, Tampa is on the west coast of the Florida peninsula. Some of the most beautiful sunsets in the country are in these regions.

Weather-wise, I found San Diego to be superior. The Mediterranean climate was absolutely wonderful. It does get colder at night in San Diego FWIW. I found the Winters in Tampa to be better than the winters in San Diego though. Summers? San Diego, no question. Tampa Bay is extremely humid between April and October.

Beaches: If you life surfing, San Diego, no question, no contest. Swimming? The waters of the gulf are warmer than the Pacific, so if you prefer warmer water, Tampa, no contest. The water and sand seemed to be much cleaner in the Tampa Bay area than San Diego. Sailing? I say it's a wash between the two.

Also, in terms of personality, San Diego "felt" much larger than Tampa-St. Pete. While many people lament that SD feels small townish (especially compared to LA and San Francisco), Tampa felt very 'slow' compared to Miami and even nearby Orlando. Water, believe it or not seemed to be a lot more prevalent in the Tampa Bay area than in San Diego, as Tampa Bay is a much larger body of water than San Diego Bay, so more people live by and around the water in the Tampa Bay area.

Also, keep in mind that water is not only a physical boundary, but can serve as a psychological boundary as well. When I live there, I lived on the Pinellas County side of the bay, and people in St. Petersburg acted as if Tampa was on another planet. That sort of contributed to the small-town feeling of Tampa. It felt way smaller than a metro of 3 million.

Landscape: SD is riddled with Canyons and mountains. I found it to be a lot more scenic than Tampa, but the landscape was browner than that of Tampa. Tampa Bay area is flatter, but greener. And again, the area seemed to be more in-tune with the water than San Diego in many ways. Don't get me wrong, the harborfront of San Diego is wonderful and there are great ocean views in San Diego. But Tampa has more lakes and you're more likely to cross say, the Gandy or Howard Frankland bridge to get somewhere moreso than San Diegans use the Coronado Bridge.

I think SD is more cosmopolitan than Tampa as well. San Diego is only 18 miles from the Mexican border, so the city is a lot more Latinized than Tampa Bay. There is also a significant Asian population in San Diego compared to Tampa. The Latino population in Tampa is mostly Puerto Rican and Cuban, whereas in SD, it's mostly Mexican. The black population in Tampa is much larger than San Diego.

I found the housing and neighborhoods in San Diego to be a lot more attractive. Many parts of Tampa and St Pete looked rural and/or run down to me. There were very nice neighborhoods in Tampa, but you're more likely to run into a more run-down part of town in Tampa Bay than you are in San Diego.

Downtown St. Pete is charming and pretty fun in many ways. DT Tampa has a LONG way to go in order to even compare to DT San Diego. I do know that there is a riverfront project that is being built that will help the area though.

The Gaslamp Quarter in DT San Diego is much nicer than Ybor City, it's Tampa equivalent to me. The club scene in Tampa just got really old to me really quickly.

SD is much more expensive than Tampa Bay, but Tampa Bay isn't as cheap as it used to be.

Those were my experiences, and as I always say, Your Mileage May Vary.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 AM

10,180 posts, read 5,205,837 times
I like San Diego more so but Tampa is pretty cool and has a nice waterfront that it should use more of. The one that gets me about Tampa is that it has a small skyline but somehow manages to make the best of it and make it seem larger than it is. Which is a good thing.

San Diego for me because of the mountains, beaches, & medium sized city with big city amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City