Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,569 times

Advertisements

The Difference is Miami has a well Known Haitian community now which you do not see in New Orleans The racial make ups and ethnic neighborhoods in miami, You most definitely will not find them in New Orleans. No matter what history or things from 9 million years ago you just dont see it now days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickRocks82 View Post
The Difference is Miami has a well Known Haitian community now which you do not see in New Orleans The racial make ups and ethnic neighborhoods in miami, You most definitely will not find them in New Orleans. No matter what history or things from 9 million years ago you just dont see it now days.
Krot toro .

Old 03-06-2010, 04:26 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You can(AND WILL) find Voodoo in Miami. Just go to the Little Haiti neighborhood. I've seen Voodoo priestess when I was kid, when me and my family were driving around Little Haiti(we're Haitian). They have MANY Botanicas on the corners where you can buy ALL SORTS of Voodoo charms, and statues, and potions, and incantations, and bracelets, etc.
Louisiana Voodoo - Louisiana

Haitian Vodou - Haiti

They're Both Afro-American religions but they're different, all of them branch off West African Vodun and other African traditional religions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickRocks82 View Post
When Westbank said “It can be argued that the majority of "African Americans" in New Orleans are of direct Haitian/Caribbean descent, since most of Haiti migrated to New Orleans after the revolt.” He was right on the money! But your right you won’t see Haitian vodun in New Orleans, you see New Orleans voodoo in New Orleans that’s what happens when a place is “9 million years old” LOL, it breaks from another tradition and grows it’s own.

What does Miami has that compares to New Orleans Jazz funerals? Before Jazz was termed New Orleans had this melting pot of marching band, Classical, Ragtime, Blues and etc Music. In fact those genres are what early jazz musicians consider their work, Jazz is the cross roads of those genres historically meeting in New Orleans that why NOLA is consider the birth place of Jazz. Their a documentary call “Jazz History” it was on youtube, the first chapter is call Gumbo. It went though the significance of New Orleans Local culture and It’s legacy.
Oh ♫ When the Saints Go Marching In ♪

YouTube - The Princess and the Frog Official Internet Trailer
Again Look at it this way! Disney just made an animated fairy tale about an American princess, now American and princess is a confliction, unless your talking about Native American culture. But New Orleans is one the few settings that gets away with such a false thing. Maybe environment, but I don’t think Miami has the history, architecture and folklore to created the atmosphere for such a setting.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:31 PM

31 posts, read 62,576 times
definitely new orleans. miami is close though

Old 06-08-2010, 02:43 AM

49 posts, read 105,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
The food, religion, customs, accents, social taboos, etc. are different from and in some cases the exact opposite than what is found in other parts of the south?

What does New Orleans have in common with the rest of the south other than location? I know Houston and Nola will have slight similarities because of geography and creole migration, but other than that you have to stretch it to find something really in common.

QUESTION: What in your opinion makes New Orleans DEFINITELY SOUTHERN?
Thats right. New Orleans is the only southern city that is Catholic and is not a migrated catholic culture. For instance. Miami is mainly Catholic due to immigrants and same with many Texas cities. New Orleans is Catholic from being under french and spanish rule. Traditions like mardi gras indians, Bone Gang, second lines, Jazz Funerals, Voodoo, St Josephs day in the Sicilian community, Mardi Gras, Social clubs, Tambourine and Fan Clubs. Phrases like Parain, Marain, Langniappe, Banquette, Mamere, that are inter mingled in the patois form of english. Architecture that is Greek Revival, Old Spanish, Old French, and old Caribbean. Not to mention it really is the only city in the United States with its own entire cuisine. Therefore that makes New Orleans the most unique southern city. Miami has many Caribbean cultures within it, but New Orleans has its own culture which has more in common with Caribbean cultures then Southern ones. That is the deciding factor.

YouTube - NEW ORLEANS MARDIGRAS INDIANS

YouTube - REBIRTH NEW ORLEANS! Secondline Young Men Olympian Parade

Old 06-08-2010, 02:53 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanstopics View Post
Thats right. New Orleans is the only southern city that is Catholic and is not a migrated catholic culture. For instance. Miami is mainly Catholic due to immigrants and same with many Texas cities. New Orleans is Catholic from being under french and spanish rule. Traditions like mardi gras indians, Bone Gang, second lines, Jazz Funerals, Voodoo, St Josephs day in the Sicilian community, Mardi Gras, Social clubs, Tambourine and Fan Clubs. Phrases like Parain, Marain, Langniappe, Banquette, Mamere, that are inter mingled in the patois form of english. Architecture that is Greek Revival, Old Spanish, Old French, and old Caribbean. Not to mention it really is the only city in the United States with its own entire cuisine. Therefore that makes New Orleans the most unique southern city. Miami has many Caribbean cultures within it, but New Orleans has its own culture which has more in common with Caribbean cultures then Southern ones. That is the deciding factor.

YouTube - NEW ORLEANS MARDIGRAS INDIANS

YouTube - REBIRTH NEW ORLEANS! Secondline Young Men Olympian Parade
Texas was also Catholic since the beginning. Texas was also under Spanish and French rule. Same thing with Florida, Florida was also Catholic from the beginning and was under Spanish rule.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Texas was also Catholic since the beginning. Texas was also under Spanish and French rule. Same thing with Florida, Florida was also Catholic from the beginning and was under Spanish rule.
You beat me to it!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:36 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG2011 View Post
I wouldn't say New Orleans is the most unique city in the south, but I'd put it in the top 3. Miami and Atlanta are other contenders IMO.
Atlanta? I don't think Atlanta is a unique Southern city at all. In fact, it is the quintessential Southern city.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:51 PM

132 posts, read 390,305 times
Ill Fight for Memphis Think about it Memphis is dubbed the creator of blues and rock&Roll. music goes in timeline starting Early Peoples<Slaves<Blues<1930's Jazz<Disco<Rock and roll<Hip hop If u take out 2 parts of important history were would we be and in new orleans which ive been jazz is prevalent and in memphis blues is prevalent so i think the list deserves to be
1 New Orleans
1b Memphis
2 Miami
3 Nashville
4 Baton Rouge
5 Little rock ( Historyy)

Old 06-08-2010, 11:33 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
I grew up in the Miami area and have been New Orleans. Though Miami and South Florida in general is one big melting pot it still evolving with more seasonal transplants. New Orleans migration settlement started almost 300 years ago way before Miami even was on the map. It is more established. Eventually, Miami will reach that level spanning that many generations but it still has a way to go.

Here's a video I found interesting. New Orleans accent has several dialects. I had mistaken the YAT dialect for New Yorker but later learned that both cities historically share the same immigrant stock.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City