Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 06:55 PM

828 posts, read 649,359 times

Advertisements

Yes, it is. Most of FL is basically not Southern though, to the point that where if I would ask for "sweet tea," they would not know what it is (this happened to me near Daytona Beach, FWIW). Panhandle, as most know, is mostly Southern, as is Jacksonville to some extent (it is more "Floridian" than Southern to me overall though); Richmond is borderline Southern at this point IMO, and I think Louisville, beyond superficial appearances, is a bit more Southern influenced culturally than Richmond is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 05:46 AM

811 posts, read 889,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Lousiville is basically half-Midwest. It's as "South" as Cincy. Very Catholic, German, accents are different, homes look Midwest in style.

Richmond has a little more southern feel, but is basically at one end of the Northeast Corridor. It, too, feels like a border city, on the cusp of the Northeast Corridor.
Louisville is a very unique, Upper South city with Bardstown Rd. And the Highland's neighborhood being a mecca for artists, foodies and unique stores, etc. Add in the Bourbon and Horse industries and their accompanying tourism, and there really is nothing quite like it in the South.

Louisville is nothing like Cincinnati, if one actually spends any time in those cities they would notice the differences. Besides both cities being on the Ohio River, there aren't many similarities. I have never seen a shotgun style house in Cinci, the Catholic influence isn't nearly as prominent in Louisville as it is in Cuncinnati, and there is nothing like the Bourbon and Horse industry in Cincinnati. Louisville is Upper South.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:35 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Every city in this country is unique regarding the qualities that are key to them (i.e. historical paths, demographic technicalities, the surrounding land and the bond with it, etc).

In reality, the manifestation of uniqueness when it comes to how people debate it on this site will be found when looking at two main aspects: the practiced lifestyle of a city's populace, as well as the degree to which said lifestyle permeates to national trends. NOLA is certainly unique in those respects...but other historic coastal South cities are as well.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:53 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I love this spin on Houston's lack of planning and "uniqueness."
As GP mentioned, there is no spin at all: the lack of zoning ensures a continued heterogeneity in Houston's build pattern that won't be seen with other US cities. Lack of zoning isn't a true negative at all, because anything built before 1916 in the US was built without zoning....which would include many historic neighborhoods urbanists hold very dear.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:12 AM

398 posts, read 382,428 times
DC is not located in the south.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_megalopolis

Old 11-12-2017, 04:47 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post

Using this standard, Norfolk and Richmond aren't southern either.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:09 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Old 11-13-2017, 11:30 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Yes, it is. Most of FL is basically not Southern though, to the point that where if I would ask for "sweet tea," they would not know what it is (this happened to me near Daytona Beach, FWIW). Panhandle, as most know, is mostly Southern, as is Jacksonville to some extent (it is more "Floridian" than Southern to me overall though); Richmond is borderline Southern at this point IMO, and I think Louisville, beyond superficial appearances, is a bit more Southern influenced culturally than Richmond is.
I've pointed this out before but a lot of Floridians including myself never heard of "sweet tea" either.
Just thought it was like the canned version of Lipton Iced tea which is very sweet.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:14 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,966 times
Richmond is a bit of a juxtaposition in that it was the capital of the confederacy 1.5 centuries ago and now sits at the bottom of the East Coast megalopolis and veering ever farther away from it's original roots. In the not too distant future , as Richmond enters it's likely upcoming boom, there will be sweet tea and a few central Virginia accents left in the region as far as being "southern".
The confederate monuments in the grassy median along Monument Avenue are being debated at this point. Monument Ave. is one of the most beautiful urban boulevards in the country. The monuments along the avenue glorify confederate heroes and are very aesthetically pleasing but are obviously emblematic of a repressive culture that went to war to defend it.
Living in the city now are transplants from all four corners who are transforming the city into a haven for creative talent i.e. food, art, design, architecture and entrepreneurship.
I think Richmond, more than most modern southern cities, has the Ace in it's combination of deep history and emerging contemporary cultural impact.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:16 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I've pointed this out before but a lot of Floridians including myself never heard of "sweet tea" either.
Just thought it was like the canned version of Lipton Iced tea which is very sweet.
Are you a native Floridian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City