Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 06:54 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,813,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I've pointed this out before but a lot of Floridians including myself never heard of "sweet tea" either.
Just thought it was like the canned version of Lipton Iced tea which is very sweet.
How unbelievably odd, since you can easily find it in restaurants from Key West to Pensacola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 10:30 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,554,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
How unbelievably odd, since you can easily find it in restaurants from Key West to Pensacola.
Perhaps ignorance on my part?
Sweet tea to me is just tea flavored with sugar like Lipton and not a recipe.
Why does this surprise you?
There are a lot of Floridians who didn't grow up with southern culture.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:34 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,833,597 times
Quote:
Sounds like there is more than one version of culture. The south is too diverse to be held just to a 'one size fits all' culture.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:52 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,191,970 times
You guys down South put waaaay too much sugar in your tea! Sweet tea to me is more like a soft drink, almost like a soda.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:22 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,732,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Sweet tea is apparently a lot easier to find all over the south than it used to be. You can get it just about anywhere in Texas nowadays, but just like South Louisiana and Florida, it isn't nearly as ingrained into the culture as it is in Georgia.

Out here I grew up drinking plain iced tea. They would give you sugar packets if you wanted it sweetened.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:51 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,373,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
You guys down South put waaaay too much sugar in your tea! Sweet tea to me is more like a soft drink, almost like a soda.
Arizona, Snapple, Brisk, iced tea that you get at a stand, etc., actually are sweet as soda. I'm not sure if Southern Sweet Tea uses more sugar or if there's something else about it that gives it a different flavor.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:18 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,813,053 times
Quote:
There are many Floridians in denial of where they actually live as well. It's not all an extension of the Northeast as you and others in South Florida try to project, either.

Just like grits, sweet tea can easily be found in every single County in Florida. McDonald's even serves it.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:33 PM

4 posts, read 2,819 times
New Orleans is also quite a subtropical city. French quarter I’ve seen huge Norfolk pines and Bougainvillea. Garden district I’ve seen royal and fishtail palms. 5th ward ive seen rubber ficus, Ti, and majesty palms. Suburban NOLA there are fruiting papaya and flowering bird of paradise. And other parts of Nola I’ve seen bismarck palms and even plumeria and jacaranda (no cocos tho, those would be for grand isle type of climate as most winters there do not get below freezing) and fruiting mangos and starfruit are found in courtyards downtown. I’ve been to Miami and it truly feels carribean as I’ve been to many of the islands. But in culture I’d say NOLA wins. Miami close second.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:42 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,349,015 times
New Orleans and Charleston SC!

Old 02-02-2018, 07:09 AM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
New Orleans and Charleston SC!
And throw in Savannah to round it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City