Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better lifestyle for family
Orlando, Florida 23 27.38%
Dallas, Texas 61 72.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 01:21 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times

Advertisements

Dallas does have Six Flags with Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck.

But in all seriousness, Texas is a very friendly friendly state and I would think you could find more options of family activities in Dallas alone, much less the Metroplex and whole state of Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 02:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Dallas. 6.5 million metro area - older more sophisticated areas in Central Dallas.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:06 PM

146 posts, read 444,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Dallas does have Six Flags with Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck.

But in all seriousness, Texas is a very friendly friendly state and I would think you could find more options of family activities in Dallas alone, much less the Metroplex and whole state of Texas.

I just get the impression that once you leave the metroplex, the area around it is full of nothing. I have never been to Dallas (but wil be soon).

What is aorund the metroplex? Is it just flat lands? How far away is Dallas from other activities and urban areas?

Old 11-10-2009, 03:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99percent View Post
I just get the impression that once you leave the metroplex, the area around it is full of nothing. I have never been to Dallas (but wil be soon).

What is aorund the metroplex? Is it just flat lands? How far away is Dallas from other activities and urban areas?
The metroplex is the DFW metro area for starters. Outside of Dallas is Fort Worth and Arlington. Arlington is where Six Flags, hurricane harbor, and the cowboys stadium is located. Fort Worth has a historic downtown area and places like the Stockyards and more (Pretty much a whole other city). The Dallas area isn't exactly flat, but don't expect huge hills.

You have some upcoming suburbs like Plano or Denton (Home of UNT). Outside of the metroplex is pretty much nothing unless you take 35 south to places like Waco or Austin. 20 will take you to Tyler or Shreveport,LA.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:08 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
I've never been to Texas, but just based on the economy alone, I would have to go with Dallas over Orlando.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:17 PM

8 posts, read 25,206 times
Live in Dallas. Vacation in Orlando. Problem solved.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:49 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
Dallas

Old 07-03-2010, 12:54 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
If you base your decision solely on the economy then yes Dallas. If you are interested in getting Florida real estate at a steal right now, Orlando. It's an investors dream market right now.

Don't let the Dallas posters fool you, downtown Dallas is busy with people working during the day, but at night I found it rather dull compared to Orlando. Orlando is a mecca for entertainment that Dallas only wishes it could be but hey there's always the malls in Texas. Although In Orlando, I can shop Tiffany, Gucci, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, Prada, etc. when needed. Which is never, but at least I can, we even have most of the upscale places as outlets as well, which is more in my price range.

Dallas wins in the sports category, they have all 4, we only have the NBA. A short drive to Tampa though provides the other 3 and we get their games on TV anyways so it's all good.

All in all I don't consider Texas prairie land to be that beautiful. It also get very very cold in Dallas and even snows, that is a major discouraging factor for me. Florida has a more laid-back feel to me and I enjoy surfing and wakeboarding daily if desired in our many lakes, rivers, and crystal clear springs (tubing). Get yourself a Universal pass or a couple of friends who work for Disney and go for free anytime you wish to see what a real theme park is like.

Don't get me wrong, I go to DFW many times per year and I can totally see the appeal. Cheap cost of living, overbuilt infrastructure, minimal city life for a metro of 6 million +. Driving in Dallas is a true headache and so is using DFW or No-Love Field. OIA in Orlando is beautiful and will make you proud to arrive home.

Then there's the Florida over Texas argument which I will stay out of. All I have to say is decide what you'd prefer to call home. The tropical and beachy feeling Florida? or the The prairie-like feeling Texas? Would you prefer Mexican culture or Cuban/Puerto Rican?

I guess it all really comes down to preferences, Florida is practically paradise for us sun loving heat seekers, Texas not so much. If you prefer seasons go to Dallas. If you prefer GDP go to Texas, but if you have a great job and prefer fun, Orlando hands down!

Old 07-03-2010, 01:06 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
If you base your decision solely on the economy then yes Dallas. If you are interested in getting Florida real estate at a steal right now, Orlando. It's an investors dream market right now.

Don't let the Dallas posters fool you, downtown Dallas is busy with people working during the day, but at night I found it rather dull compared to Orlando. Orlando is a mecca for entertainment that Dallas only wishes it could be but hey there's always the malls in Texas. Although In Orlando, I can shop Tiffany, Gucci, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, Prada, etc. when needed. Which is never, but at least I can, we even have most of the upscale places as outlets as well, which is more in my price range.

Dallas wins in the sports category, they have all 4, we only have the NBA. A short drive to Tampa though provides the other 3 and we get their games on TV anyways so it's all good.

All in all I don't consider Texas prairie land to be that beautiful. It also get very very cold in Dallas and even snows, that is a major discouraging factor for me. Florida has a more laid-back feel to me and I enjoy surfing and wakeboarding daily if desired in our many lakes, rivers, and crystal clear springs (tubing). Get yourself a Universal pass or a couple of friends who work for Disney and go for free anytime you wish to see what a real theme park is like.

Don't get me wrong, I go to DFW many times per year and I can totally see the appeal. Cheap cost of living, overbuilt infrastructure, minimal city life for a metro of 6 million +. Driving in Dallas is a true headache and so is using DFW or No-Love Field. OIA in Orlando is beautiful and will make you proud to arrive home.

Then there's the Florida over Texas argument which I will stay out of. All I have to say is decide what you'd prefer to call home. The tropical and beachy feeling Florida? or the The prairie-like feeling Texas? Would you prefer Mexican culture or Cuban/Puerto Rican?

I guess it all really comes down to preferences, Florida is practically paradise for us sun loving heat seekers, Texas not so much. If you prefer seasons go to Dallas. If you prefer GDP go to Texas, but if you have a great job and prefer fun, Orlando hands down!
Dallas-Ft Worth has many lakes too. The Prairie land is only in North Texas. Yes, it gets cold in Dallas, you can't even tell the difference in seasons in some parts of Florida.

Don't even try to act like Orlando is better than Dallas.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:23 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
^^ the OP asked about what lifestyle you prefer, I think I'm entitled to say Orlando. In many ways Orlando is way better than Dallas. To be fair, there are some categories that Dallas is way better than Orlando in. Overall lifestyle for me goes to Orlando.

Your lakes are nothing like the lakes we have here which are everywhere and completely surrounded by city and suburbia literally putting them in your backyard. How many pro wakeboarders did you grow up next to that are now on ESPN? Or how about Kelly Slater from Cocoa Beach (Orlando's closest), multiple world surfing championships. Yeah I think it's safe to say I prefer the lifestyle in Orlando over Dallas

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 07-03-2010 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: miswording
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City