U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you want to live if money was no concern?
Give me Tokyo! 1 12.50%
Nah, New York is way better. 3 37.50%
Can I live in both? 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:36 PM

1,662 posts, read 2,517,981 times

Advertisements

Let's take the two most influental cities in the world and see who would win in a fight! Ok maybe not a fight but more of a comparison. Which city is more suited to you're personal tastes? If you had magic abilities and could snap your finger and make NYC a city in Japan and Tokyo a city in the US, would you?

Would you ever give up living in New York for a chance to live in Tokyo? If by some chance that a fellow member reading here is already living in Tokyo, would they give up Tokyo for a chance to live in NYC?

Stuff to keep in mind
Tokyo is the largest metro area in the world with a population of 32,450,000. It also has the highest population density of nearly 4x what NYC has (4,049 vs 1,104).
The New York metropolitan area is the 4th largest in the world (behind Seoul and Mexico City) with a population of 19,750,000. If you include the csa counties in NJ, PA, etc it goes into the 20,000,000's but if you include the Kano region surrounding Tokyo, their metro jumps into the 50,000,000's.
New York is the world leader with financial markets due to the NYSE. Tokyo is second I believe with the NIKKEI.
New York has more miles of subway track and is a 24 hour system but Tokyo has more ridership. New York's MTA is less confusing as well when compared to the hodgepodge of differently owned subway lines in Tokyo (Tokyo Metro, JR lines, etc). Public transportation in Tokyo is like clockwork though.
Tokyo is way more high tech. New York has Times Square but there are countless corridors in Tokyo that resemble Times Square on top of the famous Shibuya Square.
New York has 5th ave and Tokyo has the Shinjuku ward.
Tokyo is one of the safest cities in the world (as well as one of the cleanest) but New York kills Tokyo when it comes to diversity.
New York's skyline is taller but Tokyo's stretches beyond the horizon.

I'm going with Tokyo. There's not much that New York has that Tokyo doesn't have more of. Now having said that, both cities are so big that you could spend years and years explorring and both offer every sort of amenity immagineable. It really comes down to personal preference.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 PM

22,003 posts, read 23,542,011 times
I think it's going to be rare for an English language, US-based forum to choose Tokyo over NYC. Especially since it's unlikely that there's more than a handful of posters who can speak Japanese whatsoever.

I'm happy with both, but my industry favors NYC over Tokyo. Otherwise, I'd enjoy living in Tokyo as much as I love being in NYC.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:02 PM

11,329 posts, read 17,054,449 times
I've only lived in one but I like them both.

I'm not a big city person and Tokyo's density spreads very far (even though its mostly low/mid-rises) so that's a minus for me.

I imagine Tokyo is far cleaner than most of NYC (NYC has some spotless spots too) so that's a plus.

More High Tech is debatable as I think most of the civilized world is on the same page in this category.

Tokyo is safer than NYC (especially my part of NYC) and that's a huge plus for me.

I could go on and on but I wouldn't want to live in either but I'd choose to live in NYC (I can't speak Japanese) and I wouldn't trade living in the U.S.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,281,197 times
Tokyo has to be more urban...right?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:41 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,175,613 times
New York City.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:50 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,191,258 times
Sorry, but....

1) This comparison has been done in the past.

and

2) Other than old posts that are grandfathered in, we are not doing comparisons in this room between North American and foreign cities, as it's too hard to make direct and equal comparisons on most levels.

Please read: What To Post In This Room (and - NOT). READ BEFORE POSTING ****

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City