Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 02:26 PM

725 posts, read 1,511,009 times

Advertisements

First off NY is a great city. I don't think it's fair to criticize the subway of NY with all the crazy things that go on in the Atlanta subway or any other public transit in this country. I was surprised by how clean the city of NY was and when it comes to urban living I tip my hat. NY is very urban, fun and is the epitome of urban living.

Now allow me to straighten my tie. Let's not forget what happened this past decade though. Either Atlanta or Dallas is the fastest growing cities in sheer numbers of all the cities in America. That means more people came to those 2 cities than any city in the US… yes, more than NYC. Guess why? Jobs. Post recession it still holds true. Atlanta is coming out of the recession looking better than it did when it went in and it is developing really fast so ATL is gonna be a money market for a long time. As far as entertainment... there is always something to do in Atlanta and one can actually afford it. My NY friends and I have a blast. NY does has some of the best of everything and on a large scale too, but I think what some people are saying is that there is not much NY has that Atlanta or a lot other major cities don’t other than ocean-related things that obviously Atlanta can't do. Despite the emphasis on the large suburban homes urban living in Atlanta is really fun and there is plenty to do. There is city-life in Atlanta. Not everybody lives in a huge house on a huge lot although that does sound nice.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 05-06-2010, 02:48 PM

324 posts, read 659,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carverR View Post
To many folks who left NYC in the pursuit of the "big house on a huge lot" dream paid dearly Florida's, Atlanta's or Phoenix' economies went belly up and local real estate markets simply crashed taking the owners/investors with them.
I am not saying I don't find South Florida with year round sun and beautiful beaches attractive but a lot of NYC-expatriates there first lost real fortunes in real estate then their jobs and now many are going back to New York... People often forget that New York besides being expensive like hell also offers job opportunities like no other place in the US.
Atlanta offered me a Job that I been on for 10 years got it without being in NYC..

Old 05-06-2010, 02:52 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
good for you.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:57 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
There is actually 5 million people in the Atlanta metro area.. They move to New York and eventual they leave.. Like I said sweetie you can have your cluttered urban living.. I'll the house with land vs studio on concrete...

and thats precisely why alot of people consider Atlanta a suburban city..... In most (not all)traditional cities not just in the usa but all over the world, it's very hard buy a house in the city with a yard and parking garage. Houses belong in the suburbs anyway, it makes mass transit harder to make sense and they are a waste of land that should be utilized for high density/mix use development.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
First off NY is a great city. I don't think it's fair to criticize the subway of NY with all the crazy things that go on in the Atlanta subway or any other public transit in this country. I was surprised by how clean the city of NY was and when it comes to urban living I tip my hat. NY is very urban, fun and is the epitome of urban living.

Now allow me to straighten my tie. Let's not forget what happened this past decade though. Either Atlanta or Dallas is the fastest growing cities in sheer numbers of all the cities in America. That means more people came to those 2 cities than any city in the US… yes, more than NYC. Guess why? Jobs. Post recession it still holds true. Atlanta is coming out of the recession looking better than it did when it went in and it is developing really fast so ATL is gonna be a money market for a long time. As far as entertainment... there is always something to do in Atlanta and one can actually afford it. My NY friends and I have a blast. NY does has some of the best of everything and on a large scale too, but I think what some people are saying is that there is not much NY has that Atlanta or a lot other major cities don’t other than ocean-related things that obviously Atlanta can't do. Despite the emphasis on the large suburban homes urban living in Atlanta is really fun and there is plenty to do. There is city-life in Atlanta. Not everybody lives in a huge house on a huge lot although that does sound nice.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Your right on the money. I have nothing against NYC I love the place, But its the arrogance of the posters on here. They make the city look really bad. If I was a person who had never been to NYC I wouldnt wanna go based on the attitude that some of these NYC poster. I would stereotype everyone in NYC as being arrogant...

IF everyone wanted to live in NYC then they would IF NYC was the only place that had good jobs people wouldnt live in places Like Houston, Dallas Chicago.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Your right on the money. I have nothing against NYC I love the place, But its the arrogance of the posters on here. They make the city look really bad. If I was a person who had never been to NYC I wouldnt wanna go based on the attitude that some of these NYC poster. I would stereotype everyone in NYC as being arrogant...

IF everyone wanted to live in NYC then they would IF NYC was the only place that had good jobs people wouldnt live in places Like Houston, Dallas Chicago.

I totally call BS.... you do realize that on this site the Atlanta/Houston posters are the absolute worst!!! threads about them or threads that spiral down that way always get shut down.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
and thats precisely why alot of people consider Atlanta a suburban city..... In most (not all)traditional cities not just in the usa but all over the world, it's very hard buy a house in the city with a yard and parking garage. Houses belong in the suburbs anyway, it makes mass transit harder to make sense and they are a waste of land that should be utilized for high density/mix use development.
They can consider Atlanta a suburban city. It still hasnt stopped people from moving to this suburban city.... Give me suburban central over high density development...

Old 05-06-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I totally call BS.... you do realize that on this site the Atlanta/Houston posters are the absolute worst!!! threads about them or threads that spiral down that way always get shut down.
You can call it what you wanna but Ill take Houston vs Atlanta over the arrogant threads of NY.. Ny posters always get banned from posting Ask Rachel84

Old 05-06-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
good for you.

Thanks

Old 05-06-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
They can consider Atlanta a suburban city. It still hasnt stopped people from moving to this suburban city.... Give me suburban central over high density development...

I will give you credit here. You are the first Atlanta poster to acknowledge that Atlanta can be considered suburban. There is nothing wrong with a suburban city or an urban city, it just boils down to which type of living you prefer. Our country is great in that it provides so many things for so many different types of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City