Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 08:35 AM

245 posts, read 215,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Whatever...
Ok, Britney.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
800 for a studio vs a townhome for the same amount in some other areas of the USA . Does not sound like your getting you moneys worth to me 700,000 dollars for a house vs the same type of house elsewhere for 200,000 Sound like your paying more than you should....

You forgot to mention that New York City as opposed to most other areas did not take a big hit in real estate meaning that your 500,000 (Brooklyn) condo is still worh 500,000 after five years and not 150,000. You also forgot to mention that while the same 500,000 can buy you a house elswhere it does not give you access to the strongerst job market in the US, not to mention access to jobs in sectors that are virtually not present outside of NYC like publishing, journalism, performing arts, advertising, arts etc etc. Honda Civic is a very good car yet people still buy Mercedeses, wonder why? Because they want something better. The same with New York City.

BTW. Good luck with the 800 studio

Old 05-06-2010, 09:00 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,563,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carverR View Post
If one is bored with what NYC offers in terms of "city life" then one must be a very boring person.
Not at all. I'm a "city life" person myself, so I get off on the kind of scene that NYC presents. But I've known plenty of people who don't--people who are much happier hiking through a national park, or spending their time in a small town or what have you.

I've got a friend who lives in CO, who spends most of his free time mountain biking and climbing. Hardly a boring person...it just depends on what makes you happy. What's boring to you may be engaging to someone else.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Not at all. I'm a "city life" person myself, so I get off on the kind of scene that NYC presents. But I've known plenty of people who don't--people who are much happier hiking through a national park, or spending their time in a small town or what have you.

I've got a friend who lives in CO, who spends most of his free time mountain biking and climbing. Hardly a boring person...it just depends on what makes you happy. What's boring to you may be engaging to someone else.

Well, if you travelled to super big city usually considered the top world city expecting incredible hiking and biking experience than there is something wrong with you and your vision of the world.
Of course you can hike and bike in New York but this is not what I would call a big selling point for a 10M city. You don't go to Metallica concert expecting to see Yanni.... Lastly, this is city-data not hikingandbiking.com so how is this even relevant?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:06 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Well, if you travelled to super big city usually considered the top world city expecting incredible hiking and biking experience than there is something wrong with you and your vision of the world.
Of course you can hike and bike in New York but this is not what I would call a big selling point for a 10M city. Lastly, this is city-data not hikingandbiking.com so how is this even relevant?
That's something I definitely can agree with.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
What are you on about? Do you have reading comprehension problems?

Quote:
Lastly, this is city-data not hikingandbiking.com so how is this even relevant?
Because it's a topic that you raised. You claimed that "if one is bored with what NYC offers in terms of "city life" then one must be a very boring person" is false if one does not find city life to be an engaging pursuit to begin with.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
What are you on about? Do you have reading comprehension problems?

Because it's a topic that you raised. You claimed that "if one is bored with what NYC offers in terms of "city life" then one must be a very boring person" is false if one does not find city life to be an engaging pursuit to begin with.
I am afriad you have serious reading comprehension problems. Since you quoted me in your post you can see that I wrote "in terms of city life" and hiking and biking is not necessarily an important aspect of "city life" or urbanity for me and most people. Remember we are talking about "city life" here. Check the topic and the name of this site.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Remember we are talking about "city life" here.
Indeed, we are. My point apparently missed you by a not-inconsiderable amount, so we'll try again. As I mentioned in my post--and which you, evidently, did not read--I happen to enjoy what so-called "city life" offers, and therefore tend to appreciate NYC. I would imagine most who enjoy the same things would agree (although there could be exceptions). But someone who derives little or no pleasure from spending time in densely packed urban areas will likely not enjoy NYC--and such inclinations do not make them an inherently boring person.

Or, put another way, I tend to find soccer a rather boring sport. Therefore, I am bored with what skilled soccer teams offer in terms of "soccer skills". But it doesn't say anything more about me as an individual, other than the fact that I don't appreciate soccer. Likewise, certain individuals may very well be bored with what NYC offers in terms of "city life," but it doesn't portend to make any greater statement on that particular individual's character.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:49 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,391,408 times
Quote:
Indeed, we are. My point apparently missed you by a not-inconsiderable amount, so we'll try again. As I mentioned in my post--and which you, evidently, did not read--I happen to enjoy what so-called "city life" offers, and therefore tend to appreciate NYC. I would imagine most who enjoy the same things would agree (although there could be exceptions). But someone who derives little or no pleasure from spending time in densely packed urban areas will likely not enjoy NYC--and such inclinations do not make them an inherently boring person.

Or, put another way, I tend to find soccer a rather boring sport. Therefore, I am bored with what skilled soccer teams offer in terms of "soccer skills". But it doesn't say anything more about me as an individual, other than the fact that I don't appreciate soccer. Likewise, certain individuals may very well be bored with what NYC offers in terms of "city life," but it doesn't portend to make any greater statement on that particular individual's character.
Your completely logically arguments have no place here

Old 05-06-2010, 09:52 AM

324 posts, read 659,637 times
Quote:
You forgot to mention that New York City as opposed to most other areas did not take a big hit in real estate meaning that your 500,000 (Brooklyn) condo is still worh 500,000 after five years and not 150,000. You also forgot to mention that while the same 500,000 can buy you a house elswhere it does not give you access to the strongerst job market in the US, not to mention access to jobs in sectors that are virtually not present outside of NYC like publishing, journalism, performing arts, advertising, arts etc etc. Honda Civic is a very good car yet people still buy Mercedeses, wonder why? Because they want something better. The same with New York City.

BTW. Good luck with the 800 studio
I don't live on a 800 dollar studio Thats what those silly people on new York will pay for.. If I wanted to go to broadway plays,, art museums, concerts sports venues clubs, lounges,etc I can do that right here in Atlanta Ga..I live in a 4 bedroom home me and my lover in sandy springs..which I'm getting ready to sale when I move to DC and the market value of my home is still worth what it was when I first bought it..I have a job that I been on for the last 10 years fianicially I'm doing Great.. I have all the amenties an needs right here on Atlanta Ga.. What do I look like going all the way too NYC to live
and spend ridiculous amounts of money to be piled up next to a bunch of
people... You can enjoy your performing arts, journalism etc none of that
interest me anyway.. Some of the things I like to enjoy NYC can't offer mr especially during the winter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City