Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:48 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,255,343 times

Advertisements

Columbus IS extremely BORING ... "if you're a BORING type of individual". "LIFE is what you make of it", it's really that simple and yet true. I've lived in Los Angeles and have spent time in some of the greatest cities of the world ... including London, Paris and Berlin.
If I was BORED, and at times I definitely was ... it was because I chose to be be.
Columbus has a wide variety of entertainment venues, interesting and eclectic districts and neighborhoods and friendly people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 10:51 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post

THANK YOU FOR THE VIDEO'S you just peaked my interest IN COLUMBUS
I See It As A "Destination and Renaissance City NOW"....(BUT) as far as
raising a FAMILY and being in A STRONG ECONOMY OKC Edge COLUMBUS
..But FOR YOUNG PEOPLE THERE"S NO COMPARISON....

Old 06-27-2012, 12:06 PM

14 posts, read 22,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
OKC seems kind of dusty and lacks any real identity
OKC is not dusty. C'mon it's not Tucson, Arizona. There's also a vibrant Riverwalk area running through Bricktown which is a subdivision of OKC's downtown. As for not having an identity, well it does. OKC is well known for overcoming hard times like nothing ever happened. Try the Oklahoma City Bombing that happened in April of 1995. While you're in OKC you might want to visit the National Memorial. It's beautiful. OKC is also home to the OKC Thunder, the Western Conference Champions of the NBA. If you were in OKC about two weeks ago the NBA Finals were being played in the city. It also has a vibrant film district and the oil and natural gas industry is blowing up. Evidence of that is the newest OKC skyscraper called the Devon Tower.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:16 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
There are about 12 places I'd chose the state of Oklahoma over.

Ohio isn't one of them...... I take Columbus over OKC.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:21 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

Make that 15. I forgot South Carolina, West Virginia, and Mississippi.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:01 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

This is good news for us bona fide Okies!

Old 06-30-2012, 07:08 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Columbus by a mile.

Larger, more dense and interesting city and metro. Better topography, more green/lush, very close to several major cities and great access to cities throughout the midwest and east. Weather is not as extreme in Columbus and Columbus seems to have a much more liberal culture compared to OKC (although nearly every metro over a half million does).

OKC is doing amazing things with what it has, but that has only caused it to feel fake and manufactured. I don't like the riverwalk much at all, but I totally get why it was built and it was needed there and it's great for OKC, but it leaves a lot to be desired when you compare that to other mid and major cities.

While the NBA and Devin tower have drastically changed OKC, the cultural gap between OKC and most similar sized or larger cities is still very wide. I think OKC will always feel like a gigantic suburb in the middle of nowhere to me. Some people are totally fine with that and that's not an insult, but just how the city feels to me. Even downtown with it being so spread out with big box stores and parking lots around them (theater, bass pro etc). Downtown OKC needs about twenty blocks of midrise development, not a 70 story tower. I don't know, Columbus feels like a major city compared to OKC. Ever been to downtown Columbus? It's crowded and dense compared to OKC.

OKC just needs to be what it is (a big suburb) where its biggest assets are the cost of living, stable economy and that it's 2-3 hours from the DFW metroplex. And that's okay. Still it's nice to see the city trying to be more urban and sophisticated. It has definitely helped and the city is developing a better image and reputation because of it. Before the NBA, I don't think anybody ever gave OKC a second thought other than it being home to a terrible domestic terrorist event. I will say that okc is about 1000 times better than it was in the 80's and 90's, that's for sure.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:53 PM

420 posts, read 805,108 times
Old thread but I had to chime in. I grew up in OKC and did not move away until I was 26. I currently live in Columbus. Columbus blows OKC away by a "country mile" and its not even that close. I always thought that once I was done with my professional training I would move back to OKC as my family is there but I cannot do that as Columbus is that much better.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:00 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
Columbus by far. And I saw that as an Oklahoman for 16 years.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:16 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
There is absolutely no comparison between these two cities. Even at OKC's current rate of improvement, Columbus is a good 30-40 years ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
Old thread but I had to chime in. I grew up in OKC and did not move away until I was 26. I currently live in Columbus. Columbus blows OKC away by a "country mile" and its not even that close. I always thought that once I was done with my professional training I would move back to OKC as my family is there but I cannot do that as Columbus is that much better.
Once you've lived in a real city, it's hard to do OKC unless it is specifically the type of place you are looking for. It really changes your perspective once you see how much better the quality of life is once you leave Oklahoma. I made the mistake of moving back to OKC in 2012 and it was one of the worst decisions I ever made.

Last edited by JMT; 05-27-2017 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Please keep this thread about just Columbus and OKC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City