Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 01:04 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
^^ Intersting...what's the reason for that? Not saying you're wrong, just interested in hearing the reason.

I personally think Philadelphia is often overlooked because it doesn't seem to have a flagship industry.

NY is obviously the king of the country. Home to Wall St, etc, etc. So there's no question as to why it's the most well known.

Washington DC is home to the Federal Government. Boston is known as a Mecca for higher education. It's also a well-known technology. Philadelphia has a good economy and it thrives in several areas...but it doesn't have that flagship industry that people would associate the city with.

That's what I think.
That's a good point. I would say Philadelphia's modern industries -- that is, those after the decline in manufacturing on which Philadelphia's economy was long dependent -- are actually not that dissimilar from Boston's. The "meds and eds" sectors are pretty strong here, too, although I fully concede Boston has a larger higher educational industry. Outside of that, pharmaceuticals are big in the area (Wyeth, Rohm & Haas, Pfizer, etc.) Interestingly enough, Philly has more lawyers per capita than NYC, so it has a pretty disproportionately large legal industry, too. Overall, though, it has a pretty diverse economy, which certainly isn't a bad thing.

Last edited by Duderino; 11-13-2009 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 02:27 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That's a good point. I would say Philadelphia's modern industries -- that is, those after the decline in manufacturing on which Philadelphia's economy was long dependent -- are actually not that dissimilar from Boston's. The "meds and eds" sectors are pretty strong here, too, although I fully concede Boston has a larger higher educational industry. Outside of that, pharmaceuticals are big in the area (Wyeth, Rohm & Haas, Pfizer, etc.) Interestingly enough, Philly has more lawyers per capita than NYC, so it has a pretty disproportionately large legal industry, too. Overall, though, it has a pretty diverse economy, which certainly isn't a bad thing.
That's definitely not a bad thing. However it could be one of the reasons it's often overlooked.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:05 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,770,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergone View Post
All the time I here people say that Philadelphia is a big, important city, yet everyone says the "main" and most important cities of the corridor are DC, New York and Boston. I'm confused. Is Philadelphia one of the main cities of the corridor or is it like Baltimore, Hartford and Providence?
Yeah I wouldn't include Philadelphia as part of the main cities at all, I guess I also happen to over look Philadelphia as I see it often as a Baltimore, etc...

Old 11-14-2009, 12:30 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
How about pharmaceuticals as Philly's flagship industry? I tend to agree with others that Philly is kind of lost in NYC's shadow. If you divide the Corridor into sub-regions, Boston dominates the northern end, Washington is the obvious major center at the southern end, while NYC is the first city people will usually think of to represent the middle. Philly just kind of becomes an afterthought as one of the other middle cities, simply because it's too close to NYC to represent a separate area.

However, the lack of a flagship industry is an interesting suggestion. Philly is such a major player in pharmaceuticals, as I understand, that this could stand out. But pharmaceuticals may not get as much attention as the industries that dominate the economies of other Northeastern cities. It lacks the cultural prestige of being the great education center that Boston is, the powerful punch of Washington's politics and New York's finance industry, or the glamor of NYC as a center of entertainment. It may be that the lack of a flagship industry is not so much as a problem as the presence of an economic mainstay that many people don't see as having a lot of glitter.

By the way, I like Philly. Regardless of the attention the city does or does not get, Philadelphians have reason for serious pride in their home.

Last edited by ogre; 11-14-2009 at 01:44 AM..

Old 11-14-2009, 09:14 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
It seems strange that people seem to think that Philly falls into the category of a smaller overlooked East Coast city, when in fact it is the second largest city on the entire East coast, only behind Nyc. I mean besides the fact that it paved the way for almost every city in this country it still remains a very important city in the US.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:31 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergone View Post
All the time I here people say that Philadelphia is a big, important city, yet everyone says the "main" and most important cities of the corridor are DC, New York and Boston. I'm confused. Is Philadelphia one of the main cities of the corridor or is it like Baltimore, Hartford and Providence?
You're confused... Check the GDP's of each metropolitan area.... List of cities by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Old 11-14-2009, 09:49 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Philadelphia is often overlooked as the drive between NYC and DC/Baltimore swerves just east of the city, which is odd as the city is the 5th largest (or 6th largest if you include the big suburb known as Phoenix) city in the U.S. As a resident of Philly I find it frustrating that it is overlooked given its stature in terms of history, commerce and infrastructure. I guess it can be attributed to the overall American retardation in terms of geography.
"Philadelphia is often overlooked as the drive between NYC and DC/Baltimore swerves just east of the city".

This is a very good point. Both the New Jersey Turnpike and I-295 completely bypass Philadelphia to the east. When you travel the Bosh-Wash corridor getting through and around New York City, Washington, even Baltimore can be a major problem. To say the least!

But when traveling on the turnpike it is like Philadelphia is not even there. Or at least it seems like a smaller city like Wilmington. All you really see a sign or two that say "Philadelphia next exit"!

I do not understand how Philadelphia faded from the national limelight so much. Even here on City Data, people often seem suprised to see Philadelphia has such a nice skyline or has so much history.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:13 PM

657 posts, read 1,504,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
"Philadelphia is often overlooked as the drive between NYC and DC/Baltimore swerves just east of the city".

This is a very good point. Both the New Jersey Turnpike and I-295 completely bypass Philadelphia to the east. When you travel the Bosh-Wash corridor getting through and around New York City, Washington, even Baltimore can be a major problem. To say the least!

But when traveling on the turnpike it is like Philadelphia is not even there. Or at least it seems like a smaller city like Wilmington. All you really see a sign or two that say "Philadelphia next exit"!

I do not understand how Philadelphia faded from the national limelight so much. Even here on City Data, people often seem suprised to see Philadelphia has such a nice skyline or has so much history.
You beat me to it. Philadelphia is a major and important American city, with the best "grinder" -- provolone and prosciutto -- that I've ever tasted in my life.

But the NJ Turkpike totally bypasses Philly when you're en route from NY to DC/Baltimore.

Does anyone know the exact reason why I-95 was not continuously extended up the East Coast? It stops north of Philly. If you're going between DC and NY, you have to take the Turnpike for continuous road travel.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:13 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Philadelphia does suffer from its proximity to the other, more important city. DC and New York are BOTH more important that Philadelphia. Boston is a good 3 hours from the closest "big" city, so it really isn't overshadowed by New York as much as Philadelphia is overshadowed. The overshadowing effect makes Boston appear more important than Philadelphia, which isn't the case.

I appreciate that Philadelphia has been able to retain its strong identity despite being sandwiched between two other cities with major influences.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:21 PM

28 posts, read 47,819 times
Gawc latest report has NY alpha, Washington DC beta+ and Boston beta global city. Philadelphia is gamma. GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City