U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Better scenery?
Los Angeles 131 71.20%
Chicago 53 28.80%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:19 PM

331 posts, read 384,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
But only a few species of trees turn color in autumn. Most trees\ plants are evergreen [eucalyptus, palms, citrus, pines, oaks, etc.]. I wish we did have a real autumn like Chicago because nothing really changes from season to season in LA.
The northeast region of America is the most beautiful during the "fall" season. It literally looks like a Norman Rockell painting. It's extremely wooded, unlike a lot of the midwest. A few miles outside of Chicago, and it looks like the prarie. Illinois is not a very attractive state. Sure they're parts around Chicago that are, but overall, it's very boring and unappealing looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 10:29 PM

721 posts, read 902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
The northeast region of America is the most beautiful during the "fall" season. It literally looks like a Norman Rockell painting. It's extremely wooded, unlike a lot of the midwest. A few miles outside of Chicago, and it looks like the prarie. Illinois is not a very attractive state. Sure they're parts around Chicago that are, but overall, it's very boring and unappealing looking.
Chicago's built on a huge swamp...it's not meant to look pretty. There are tons of forest preserves in Chicago..a lot of IL is wooded, its just a lot of its been cut down for farming....

Old 11-18-2009, 10:42 PM

454 posts, read 706,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
a lot of IL is wooded, its just a lot of its been cut down for farming....
and flat suburban sprawl
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3635/...6094d23ba3.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 07-28-2012 at 06:55 AM..

Old 11-18-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Chicago's built on a huge swamp...it's not meant to look pretty. There are tons of forest preserves in Chicago..a lot of IL is wooded, its just a lot of its been cut down for farming....
I've driven all thru the state of Illinois, in all different directions. Illinois, along with most of the midwest can't compare with the northeast. Drive thru the "turnpike" in Pa. or interstate 80. Go up into the New England states also, extremely wooded!

Trying to compare Illinois with PA in tree's, is an arguement you won't win. Pa. is heavily forested from one end to the other. Compared with the midwest states that only have 'pocketed' areas.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:09 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,977,535 times
Quote:
Trying to compare Illinois with PA in tree's, is an arguement you won't win. Pa. is heavily forested from one end to the other. Compared with the midwest states that only have 'pocketed' areas.
The Northeast wasn't brought up, it's a non-issue, why are you always adding things to the conversation that don't belong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
and flat suburban sprawl
There's nothing wrong with flat and that looks fairly dense to me, especially for a suburb. Do you have the link to the picture?

Quote:
Once again, it's not about New England. Just stop posting about Chicago, period.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
The Northeast wasn't brought up, it's a non-issue, why are you always adding things to the conversation that don't belong?

There's nothing wrong with flat and that looks fairly dense to me, especially for a suburb. Do you have the link to the picture?

Once again, it's not about New England. Just stop posting about Chicago, period.
Ah, the "east coast" was "brought up". If you bothered to read some previous post you'd seen that.

Don't get mad at me cause Chicago was built on an around the "prarie".....

Old 11-19-2009, 12:36 AM

165 posts, read 162,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I wish we did have a real autumn like Chicago because nothing really changes from season to season in LA.
photos courtesy of milquetoast at ssc.

No it not as colorful as Chicago autumn, but there is no doubt four seasons in Los Angeles. Mostly the tress in the suburban communties have more drastic colors, whereas in the city of LA we have more palm trees.
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...fredcamino.jpg

Courtesy of Dao at ssc.

Eagle Rock district within the city of LA

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/2827/lafall06.jpg (broken link)

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/7/lafall05.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2868/lafall03.jpg

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7636/lafall02.jpg

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/5231/lafall01.jpg

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/905/lafall08.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 07-28-2012 at 06:56 AM..

Old 11-19-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Well obviously...the St. Louis Arch is the gateway to the west and IL and MO boarder.
Actually, I was thinking more in the terms of heading westbound on interstate 94 towards Minneapolis (which I still consider to be midwest).

But once you start getting west of that, I consider it to be "western".

Old 11-19-2009, 09:31 AM

786 posts, read 865,848 times
Plenty of trees in the Upper Midwest...which Chicago is part of. Much of the upper midwest is more northwoods than farms...

Old 11-19-2009, 09:39 AM

805 posts, read 1,475,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
photos courtesy of milquetoast at ssc.

No it not as colorful as Chicago autumn, but there is no doubt four seasons in Los Angeles. Mostly the tress in the suburban communties have more drastic colors, whereas in the city of LA we have more palm trees.

Courtesy of Dao at ssc.

Eagle Rock district within the city of LA

Hey I allready posted these exact pic's. Couple of post back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City