Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 12:38 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwanderer View Post
This back and forth is getting old now. No, the lausagna I had a few times sucked also, end up throwing 2 different meatball hogies (pizza shops) out cause the meat balls were beyond horrible!

When did I say that NYC "lacks buildings with character"? I said how many times, the "avg building". Of course nyc has beautiful buildings. But the avg apt building there is bland looking. Post all the pics you, I spent too much time there to know the difference.

I'm about burned out on this subject, this will probably be my last response to you. I'll probably respond to Christian once more, and some others, then I'm done all this subject. I believe what I believe, and you believe what you believe. We ain't going to change each others opinons. I've spents years of my life in both cities, my mind won't change.
Meatballs, still? This is the rubric you're going on for Italian food.

That was an or statement. Finish reading the sentence!

You don't have to respond, just so long as no one believes your account of things is anywhere near a complete or truthful one, then that's fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 12:42 AM

7 posts, read 5,022 times
Quote:
See what I mean, you can't have it both ways. "Safe" streets, can also change some of the vibe, certainly the "edgyness" has changed in many areas of nyc. I'm just proving a point, you can't have it both ways. MaNNhattan is more livable now that it's probably ever been, but is it the most exciting era for that borough? You get my point by now.......
Yes it is. Was it more exciting were people were afraid to walk outside after 10pm?
Thanks to blooming economy of the 90's and some of the smartest mayors New York is in its best right now which is expressed in high demand for living space here and constantly growing population...

You probably do not realize but you are embarassing yourself with each and every post...

Old 11-16-2009, 01:13 AM

656 posts, read 1,419,764 times
Quote:
Chicago DOES NOT build new condos that resemble "Fedders" unbeilievable gernericness! I mean, come on, even the baconies are jive looking. And NO CENTRAL AIR? Please show me 1 new construction condo in Chicago without central air! Even the "conversion condos" in Chicago have central air (when they gut old apts out and make them into condos, in case you don't know what I mean).

Chicago' standard of living in much higher than NYC's! Everything from the grocery stores to the laundrymats. How many laundrymat's in NYC even have central air? And would it kill them to throw a roll of toilet paper or paper towels in their bathrooms?

The outerboroughs of NYC are very 3rd world like in many many areas. How about internet cafes there? Same thing. I don't overlook these kinds of things like I did when I was in my early 20's and first start going to nyc. As an adult, things like not being able to dry my hands off, or even washing them cause there's no soap, bother me....

One way to spot someone or somebody who doesn't exactly know what he/she is talking about is to analyze their statements for facts and anecdotal sayings, there are plenty of internet cafe's in the outer boroughs and the outer boroughs are far from third world places except for certain areas but even upper Manhattan can be considered third worldish .

There are grocery stores and laundry mats that have air conditioning , and as far a roll of toiler paper or paper towels, it depends on the place , I do agree certain restaurants and places are backwards when it comes to that

however, chicago may have its share of issues of that too, the south shore is very ghetto in many aspects more so than new york city in the mostly african american areas.

YouTube - Chicago Sucks

(Please note that although I don't think all of chicago sucks and it has a lot to offer , you should watch the 3 videos for a perspective although the author focuses more on his section of the hoods he brings up valid information about chicago in other parts of the video series)

Old 11-16-2009, 01:25 AM

331 posts, read 672,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Meatballs, still? This is the rubric you're going on for Italian food.

That was an or statement. Finish reading the sentence!

You don't have to respond, just so long as no one believes your account of things is anywhere near a complete or truthful one, then that's fine.
My man, I'm a working stiff from Pittsburgh. I'm not some UES or UWS guy with taste buds of a French Chef. Ya, meat balls! It seems in NYC they can't grasp the concept of how to make any good ones, so they must not be as simple as you make them out to be.

This is EXACTLY the reason that it's so hard to find an Italian restaurant that even serves spag & meatballs in NYC (let alone good ones). I guess NY'ers look down on this type of grub. It's too "working class" for them. Wow is all I can say, NYC really is becoming a city of rich eletist that look down on an avg Joe for enjoying something that is almost as American as 'apple pie'.

I think Bloomberg represents the "NEW" New York very accurately, a billionaire controling a bunch of millionaires.

Last edited by worldwanderer; 11-16-2009 at 01:52 AM..

Old 11-16-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
One way to spot someone or somebody who doesn't exactly know what he/she is talking about is to analyze their statements for facts and anecdotal sayings, there are plenty of internet cafe's in the outer boroughs and the outer boroughs are far from third world places except for certain areas but even upper Manhattan can be considered third worldish .

There are grocery stores and laundry mats that have air conditioning , and as far a roll of toiler paper or paper towels, it depends on the place , I do agree certain restaurants and places are backwards when it comes to that

however, chicago may have its share of issues of that too, the south shore is very ghetto in many aspects more so than new york city in the mostly african american areas.

YouTube - Chicago Sucks

(Please note that although I don't think all of chicago sucks and it has a lot to offer , you should watch the 3 videos for a perspective although the author focuses more on his section of the hoods he brings up valid information about chicago in other parts of the video series)
When did I say that the nyc grocery stores didn't have ac? Wouldn't that affect their food? And where did I say that "NO laundrymats in nyc has ac"?

The "south shore"? lol Where did I say that Chicago doesn't have ghettos?

I'm glad that you atleast admit that things like toilet paper, paper towels, and soap can be hard to find in many of nyc's business'es.

And when did I say say that NYC don't have any internet cafes? They have them, they are crappy for the most part. Ones in Chicago, almost feel like you're sitting in a Starbuck's or something similiar (they even put soap, toilet paper, and soap in their bathrooms ).

Old 11-16-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldismine View Post
Yes it is. Was it more exciting were people were afraid to walk outside after 10pm?
Thanks to blooming economy of the 90's and some of the smartest mayors New York is in its best right now which is expressed in high demand for living space here and constantly growing population...

You probably do not realize but you are embarassing yourself with each and every post...
Personally, I could care less if NYC turned into Beruit. Seriously, I could care less. I don't have any family that live there, why would I care. But ain't lot of the Ny'ers always complaining about how Times Square was turned into "Disneyland". And complaining about "hipsters", and how the city's becoming too expensive for artist, etc.

I could care less personally......

Old 11-16-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
My man, I'm a working stiff from Pittsburgh. I'm not some UES or UWS guy with taste buds of a French Chef. Ya, meat balls! It seems in NYC they can't grasp the concept of how to make any good ones, so they must not be as simple as you make them out to be.

This is EXACTLY the reason that it's so hard to find an Italian restaurant that even serves spag & meatballs in NYC (let alone good ones). I guess NY'ers look down on this type of grub. It's too "working class" for them. Wow is all I can say, NYC really is becoming a city of rich eletist that look down on an avg Joe for enjoying something that is almost as American as 'apple pie'.

I think Bloomberg represents the "NEW" New York very accurately, a billionaire controling a bunch of millionaires.
Elitist because the Italian food here doesn't conform to your tastes? How is this elitism? Where are you getting this NYC elitism from aside from one or two idiotic posters on this site?

I didn't make spaghetti and meatballs out to be simple because I know it takes skill to make a good meatball. However, you're not understanding that you went to Little Italy for Italian food (already a poor choice). Then you ask for an American dish that's not common in Italian restaurants.

We have honest-to-goodness street food vendors here who thrive and trucks selling tacos, dumplings, waffles, tea eggs, etc. These aren't particularly ritzy, but they're cheap and common.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Elitist because the Italian food here doesn't conform to your tastes? How is this elitism? Where are you getting this NYC elitism from aside from one or two idiotic posters on this site?

I didn't make spaghetti and meatballs out to be simple because I know it takes skill to make a good meatball. However, you're not understanding that you went to Little Italy for Italian food (already a poor choice). Then you ask for an American dish that's not common in Italian restaurants.

We have honest-to-goodness street food vendors here who thrive and trucks selling tacos, dumplings, waffles, tea eggs, etc. These aren't particularly ritzy, but they're cheap and common.
Will you please, quit making these assumptions. I went to little Italy, along with other nabes in Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn. I should've probably went to SI, but I wasn't going thru all that bs and tolls for a plate of spag & meatballs.

I would NEVER make a judgement about a city's food from a few dining experiences, honestly I wouldn't.

And I'm also not saying that there ain't one good meal to be had in nyc, of course there is. But overall, I think that a lot of food sold there is subpar.

I'll put it to you this way, you know where I end up getting my spag & meatballs fix in nyc? At the Queens Blvd mall at their food court. What's the name of that fast food chain restaurant? I forget, but that's the best I could find in nyc....... I would even drive their and pay to park in the garage there....... That's really sad, paying to park for fast food.....

Old 11-16-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Will you please, quit making these assumptions. I went to little Italy, along with other nabes in Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn. I should've probably went to SI, but I wasn't going thru all that bs and tolls for a plate of spag & meatballs.

I would NEVER make a judgement about a city's food from a few dining experiences, honestly I wouldn't.

And I'm also not saying that there ain't one good meal to be had in nyc, of course there is. But overall, I think that a lot of food sold there is subpar.

I'll put it to you this way, you know where I end up getting my spag & meatballs fix in nyc? At the Queens Blvd mall at their food court. What's the name of that fast food chain restaurant? I forget, but that's the best I could find in nyc....... I would even drive their and pay to park in the garage there....... That's really sad, paying to park for fast food.....
You mentioned Little Italy in your posts as your example. Why am I at fault for going by what you've said?

I guess I can chalk things up to have wildly divergent tastes. I've gone to plenty of Italian eateries in NYC that don't cost an arm and a leg and have come out really happy--at least much more content than with the food I might find at a Sbarro. I'll admit it's hard for me to understand how someone could have spent as much time as years in NYC without having found great Italian food.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
You mentioned Little Italy in your posts as your example. Why am I at fault for going by what you've said?
I mentioned Little Italy in reference to what the NYTimes article said comparing Pittsburgh and NYC's Little Italy.

Did you seriously think that's the only place that I've tried Italian food in nyc? I would never even make a comment on this matter if that was the case.

What's the name of the Italian fast food chain in the Queens Blvd mall? I can't remember? Their baked ziti with meatballs actually ain't half bad belive it or not.

I know this will probably surprise you, but I've had better Italian food in Buffalo and Niagra Falls (Ny side in their little Italy) than in NYC. I'm telling you the truth, I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City