Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 11:00 PM

721 posts, read 1,785,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGTSS View Post
River Oaks, West University, Uptown/Galleria(?), Downtown, Memorial, ....and yes suburbs....Sugarland, Katy, Clear Lake, Woodlands,. I've seen it all.

There is no major city in the country that I've never been to.
...and let me guess...the rest of them are terrible, uninhabitable wastelands except New York? You don't have any credibilty when all you do is bash...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 11:03 PM

331 posts, read 670,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
...and let me guess...the rest of them are terrible, uninhabitable wastelands except New York? You don't have any credibilty when all you do is bash...
Not only that, but it's IMPOSSIBLE to find any good food either, except for Arby's and Potbellies. Or else you have to pay thru you nose for it.....

These kids on here crack me up.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:04 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,168,308 times
Quote:
River Oaks, West University, Uptown/Galleria(?), Downtown, Memorial, ....and yes suburbs....Sugarland, Katy. I've seen it all.

I've been around and I know my geography.
Meh. Not at all my favorite places. Sugarland is OK for a suburb and Katy is pretty boring. There's not much downtown. Uptown is OK. The Galleria is just a mall. Nothing special. West University and River Oaks are cool I guess. It sounds like all you've done in Houston was hangout in suburbs and go shopping. IMO, the biggest problem with the city is that there are TOO many people that do that. So please, stay out of Houston unless your going to actually make an effort to enjoy the city.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Ya, and your buddy "worldwanderer" falls under "non-basher" right?

I have never bashed any city in this thread. I don't hate Chicago. I am just being honest with my observations.
Just as I'm being "real" about NYC!

Old 11-15-2009, 11:06 PM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
worldtraveler, I don't find your descriptions of NYC to be very grounded in reality despite your claims. Quite a few of your claims are nigh unprovable and you constantly shift your arguments from one to another (NYC buildings lacks character->the places with character in NYC are almost nonexistent or rare->those nabes are too expensive) I hope people don't actually take your word as is. You're not helping with the hyperbole that the NYC posters are spurting out by misrepresenting the city from the other side of the fence.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Meh. Not at all my favorite places. Sugarland is OK for a suburb and Katy is pretty boring. There's not much downtown. Uptown is OK. The Galleria is just a mall. Nothing special. West University and River Oaks are cool I guess. It sounds like all you've done in Houston was hangout in suburbs and go shopping.
He probably ate at "Subway" too....

Old 11-15-2009, 11:08 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,256,426 times
Quote:
Ya, and your buddy "worldwanderer" falls under "non-basher" right?

I have never bashed any city in this thread. I don't hate Chicago. I am just being real.
Really?

Quote:
Yea, and you certainly would never find anything as nice in Houston. LOL. Envy...
Quote:
The argument was lost when your sidekick said Pittsburgh had better restaurants than NYC.
Quote:
Yes, and I would waste my time "cyber-traveling" Houston? LOL.
Quote:
This is Manhattan, not ****tsburgh.
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, Toronto is a farm if one wishes to compare it to New York.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:10 PM

79 posts, read 91,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Meh. Not at all my favorite places. Sugarland is OK for a suburb and Katy is pretty boring. There's not much downtown. Uptown is OK. The Galleria is just a mall. Nothing special. West University and River Oaks are cool I guess. It sounds like all you've done in Houston was hangout in suburbs and go shopping.
What else is there to do in Houston besides hang out? Downtown Houston sucks and feels dangerous. There really is nothing to do in Houston except "hang" out in boring shopping centers like "Town Center" in Sugarland and Highland Village Uptown/Rice Village. Walk around those the street and go to little stores and restaurants in Montrose? The museums in Houston are boring and everything is spread out.

The only thing I liked doing was going to memorial park/jogging in West University (which is pretty nice I may add). There, I said something nice.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
worldtraveler, I don't find your descriptions of NYC to be very grounded in reality despite your claims. Quite a few of your claims are nigh unprovable and you constantly shift your arguments from one to another (NYC buildings lacks character->the places with character in NYC are almost nonexistent or rare->those nabes are too expensive) I hope people don't actually take your word as is. You're not helping with the hyperbole that the NYC posters are spurting out by misrepresenting the city from the other side of the fence.
The thing that really gets me about nyc, is a lot of ny'ers really do believe that nyc is #1 in EVERY catorgory... No city in the world can clame this, or have this be true. Ny'ers call NYC the "Concrete Jungle", but yet it's suppose to be appealing to the eyes and have character too? Sorry, you can't have it both ways. If NYC was all tree lined streets, with beautiful brownstones, it would've never been described as a concrete jungle. The big and bland highrise apt buildings is what makes NYC a "concrete jungle", not the beautiful brownstones.

Arrogance of many ny'ers gets tiresome to listen to, period. I've said good things about nyc if you tread thru my post. But I'm sick and tired of hearing how you can't get a "good" meal west of the Hudson. Or everywhere else lacks character, diversity, culture, etc.

NYC is overhyped in a lot of ways, if you don't see it, fine. But just don't get mad at others who who do see it this way. And just cause someone doesn't buy into all the hype, doesn't mean that they hate nyc either.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:15 PM

79 posts, read 91,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Really?
Reality is not "bashing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City