U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:01 PM

30 posts, read 164,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Interesting definition. I've lived in Charlotte, which has a city population of well over 600,000 and a metropolitan area just under 1.7 million. I now live in Minneapolis, which has a city population of about 400,000 and a metropolitan area of 3.2 million. Although Minneapolis has a smaller city proper population, it looks and feels much larger than Charlotte. With that said, I'm thinking the central city (or city proper) population doesn't really matter in some cases.
You are absolutely right. Just look at Boston and compare it to cities like Columbus, Indianapolis etc. that have a larger population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 12:22 PM

745 posts, read 1,067,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Interesting definition. I've lived in Charlotte, which has a city population of well over 600,000 and a metropolitan area just under 1.7 million. I now live in Minneapolis, which has a city population of about 400,000 and a metropolitan area of 3.2 million. Although Minneapolis has a smaller city proper population, it looks and feels much larger than Charlotte. With that said, I'm thinking the central city (or city proper) population doesn't really matter in some cases.
I feel the same way I could care less about the City-Proper population it doesnt really mean anything to me its more about the Metro Pop. I just put the city-prper def cause some people like to compare cities by those numbers.

For Example Greenville SC is only 56,000 people but it is the Anchor city for Greenville-Spartanburg Metro which is over 1.5 Mill

I wish they make a rule on CD that if you just say the name of the city like, Atlanta your talking about the Metro but if you say City of Atlanta your talking about the city itself.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:35 PM

2,368 posts, read 3,494,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm not sure there is one. If I were to guess I'd think the standard here is

Metropolitan area is over 2,000,000 and population density of the core-city is over 9,000 per square mile. By that system the only large cities in the US are New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, Boston, and San Francisco.

More generally I'd think any city with a metropolitan area over 2 million would be considered a large city regardless of its population density. So San Diego, Phoenix, and Miami are large cities.

San Antonio surpassed 2,000,000 in 2007, so it's a full fledge big city, growing over 40,000 per year.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:48 PM

25,092 posts, read 32,528,473 times
I think 2 Million+ in a MSA or CSA is good enough to be considered big.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:47 PM

2,249 posts, read 4,133,681 times
Jacksonville is bigger than San Francisco.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:22 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,619,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Jacksonville is bigger than San Francisco.
Jacksonville is bigger than San Francisco, Chicago, Atlanta, Washington D.C., Miami, and Boston combined. We are talking about area, right?

Old 11-16-2009, 04:24 PM

Location: A Small Metro In Southeastern Virginia Called Virginia Beach/Norfolk.
1,555 posts, read 2,675,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Jacksonville is bigger than San Francisco, Chicago, Atlanta, Washington D.C., Miami, and Boston combined. We are talking about area, right?

Good one

Jacksonville's density is in the toilet.

Less than 400 person per sq. mile (metro).

My metro, which is a small town according to forumers, has half a million more residents. That expanding your city limits things is a bunch of bull that means nothing but an ego boost. JVille sucks IMO.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Good one

Jacksonville's density is in the toilet.

Less than 400 person per sq. mile (metro).

My metro, which is a small town according to forumers, has half a million more residents. That expanding your city limits things is a bunch of bull that means nothing but an ego boost. JVille sucks IMO.
I'm sure the leadership in Jacksonville didn't do it for an ego boost...it's a cost cutting measure, because it eliminates the need for both city and county governments. Louisville and Nashville (among other cities) have done the same thing.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:32 PM

Location: A Small Metro In Southeastern Virginia Called Virginia Beach/Norfolk.
1,555 posts, read 2,675,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm sure the leadership in Jacksonville didn't do it for an ego boost...it's a cost cutting measure, because it eliminates the need for both city and county governments. Louisville and Nashville (among other cities) have done the same thing.
Oh wow. I didn't know that. In Virginia every city is independent from a county. Soo.. I wasn't aware that consolidation and expansion would cut costs.

It's still wack that their city is a county.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Oh wow. I didn't know that. In Virginia every city is independent from a county. Soo.. I wasn't aware that consolidation and expansion would cut costs.

It's still wack that their city is a county.
It may cause an inflated ego to some residents of Jacksonville on city-data. But it's purpose is a consolidation of city and county governments, kind of like many school systems have done in the past by consolidating city and county systems into one in an effort to cut costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City