Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas Versus Philadelphia: Which City Is More Important? Which City Would You Prefer To Live In?
DALLAS 143 33.89%
PHILADELPHIA 239 56.64%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 11 2.61%
DON'T KNOW 4 0.95%
DON'T CARE 25 5.92%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:03 PM

185 posts, read 648,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
After some poking around Wikipedia, I´ve found out that Trenton used to be part of the Philly metro until 2000, when the census showed that more people living in Mercer country were traveling to the New York metro than the Philadelphia one. So there was a switch. Of course, that does leave out the GDP values of those living in Trenton who still work in the Philly area, so the numbers aren´t perfect, but more of Mercer county provides for NYC than Philly, so, there we go.

Preferences are just that - preferences. And Philadelphia is indeed for more urban than Dallas. But to say that there is no urban neighborhoods in Dallas is to show stunning ignorance, and in your case, with your choice of words, a disdain for Dallas that is clouding any objective assessment. You prefer Philadelphia, that is fine. There are plenty of reasons to do so. But Dallas is far from split level ranches without any urban neighborhoods.
One of my mothers old coworkers lived around Trenton, but instead of commuting to Philly for her job as a medical coder, she commuted to Manhattan because she made more money there as opposed to Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 03:04 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I dont think so. There are areas outside the Dallas TV market share that watch Dallas TV (like Waco or the Tyler-Longview area), but they dont belong in the Metro area or the CSA in any way.

Also the size of DFW has nothing to do with the growth. People are flocking here at an unprecidented rate. Most of this is because of the job market. So in 5 years or so, this will all be moot.
That's our point, as I stated; I don't know Dallas well enough to comment. However, I do know Philadelphia and IMHO...the additional metropolitan areas mentioned, should be included in it's CMSA.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:38 AM

83 posts, read 99,528 times
Philly Philly Bo Billy
Banana fana fo Philly....

Philly!

Old 12-13-2009, 12:23 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmario_88 View Post
Dallas is more important than Philadelphia. I enjoy what Philly has to offer but lets face the facts, Philly is a city losing population and it basically lives and relies on it's history. It is not more important than Dallas not to mention that the DFW metropolitan area is growing fast and I mean faaast..... I like Philly more but Dallas takes this one. IMO
Actually, per a very recent Census Bureau correction, a new estimate demonstrates the Philly gained population since 2000. Philadelphia is certainly much more historic than a typical large Sun Belt city like Dallas, but it is hardly on the decline. Its strong healthcare and educational industries will continue to keep it very nationally and internationally relevant.

Hey, Philly: You're bigger! | Philadelphia Daily News | 12/02/2009 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20091202_Hey__Philly__You_re_bigger_.html - broken link)

Old 12-14-2009, 08:31 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Dallas has a much larger and more exciting gay nightlife than Philadelphia. That's another redeeming quality of Dallas...I know there are many more.
I have never been to Dallas but when I first visited Philadelphia in the mid seventies the Gay community was very visible and we had a rather large area around Spruce st, many blocks square...I know that the Gay community is better defined/organized today....than it was then.

Washington Square West, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Exploring Gay Philadelphia : Itinerary :: gophila.com - The Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia

Gay-friendly Philadelphia :: gophila.com - The Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia
. AND on the other hand...Houston just elected a Gay Mayor..I unfortunately can't forsee that in Philadelphia, in the near term...but you never know???

Old 04-14-2012, 12:39 PM

9 posts, read 12,078 times
How can such a question even exist

Old 04-14-2012, 05:29 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The catchment area is also considerably larger, like 3x or 4x the land area.

Reading, Trenton, Vineland, Allentown, Dover, Atlantic City, Lancaster all get included in Phillys MSA if Philadelphia were given the lax parameters of the sweeping upstart metroes like Dallas.GDP would be pushing $500M
If If If If.....Dallas by a mile.... Philly is too full of its self and is living off its history.... cost of doing business is causing manufacturing to shutter there so the trend is clear...Dallas is the future and now.....Philly was great

Old 04-14-2012, 06:00 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
If If If If.....Dallas by a mile.... Philly is too full of its self and is living off its history.... cost of doing business is causing manufacturing to shutter there so the trend is clear...Dallas is the future and now.....Philly was great
Haha. You're probably about 40 years late in making a statement like that. Philadelphia has long been restructuring its economy, as the decline in manufacturing is about a half-century in the making. History is a very cool attribute about the city, but obviously history by itself does not drive a city (unless you're Rome or Athens, perhaps). At any rate, there are many other industries in Philly other than manufacturing.

Dallas clearly has the edge in economic growth at the moment, and I can't fault you on an opinion, but it's very short-sighted to think that any place cannot recover after periods of decline. We tend to have very short attention spans as Americans and thus abandon things very quickly, but many places have enormous potential to "reinvent" themselves with adequate creativity and planning. In that sense, the "future" does not belong to any city.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:04 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Dallas easily. I like Philly and all, but for some reason the first thing that comes to mind is Gritty. Not saying that's all I think about Philly though.

Other reasons I chose Dallas are because, family, it's in Texas, scenery, ft worth is near by, and it's close to other cities, but not too close.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:14 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,437 times
History is definitely on Philadelphia's side. Dallas was never the Capitol of the US nor was it it's largest city. But, I think now with Dallas emerging along with Houston as key American Cities (I wouldn't call them World Cities just yet) I'd lean more towards the side of Dallas. Or, let me put it this way: I think Dallas has the brighter future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City