Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas Versus Philadelphia: Which City Is More Important? Which City Would You Prefer To Live In?
DALLAS 143 33.89%
PHILADELPHIA 239 56.64%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 11 2.61%
DON'T KNOW 4 0.95%
DON'T CARE 25 5.92%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
The last time I checked, Dallas is still growing faster than Philly.....
News Flash! Dallas has a lot more land area within its city limits, which allows it to grow a lot faster than Philly's much smaller city limits. If Philly had Dallas land size, the population gap between the 2 cities would widen even more than it is now.

When it comes to which city people prefer to live in that's pretty subjective. It all depends on what type of city you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 10:17 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
News Flash! Dallas has a lot more land area within its city limits, which allows it to grow a lot faster than Philly's much smaller city limits. If Philly had Dallas land size, the population gap between the 2 cities would widen even more than it is now.

When it comes to which city people prefer to live in that's pretty subjective. It all depends on what type of city you like.

If if but but, if Philly had no major waterways near it, they would have the extra room in the city limits but then it wouldnt have the history or be the city it is. You cant change some like this without making it into a different city so dont get silly with this claim we have heard a few times in this post alone

Old 04-14-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
If if but but, if Philly had no major waterways near it, they would have the extra room in the city limits but then it wouldnt have the history or be the city it is. You cant change some like this without making it into a different city so dont get silly with this claim we have heard a few times in this post alone
I don't see what's so silly about it because its the truth. Don't get mad at me for trying to level the playing field by giving fair comparisons. Also what did I say that was wrong?

Old 04-14-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I don't see what's so silly about it because its the truth.
Its pretending Philly is something different than it is.. my point is changing this changes the city. If your saying if Philly was something it is not it would beat Dallas, I will give you that... but its not Philly beating Dallas when you make that change

Old 04-14-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Its pretending Philly is something different than it is.. my point is changing this changes the city if you could make this change without making any other like moving the delaware river to create the land space.
Why do you keep on bringing up the Delaware river? All I am doing is making a fair comparison since city limits vary from size. Either way Philly is still a larger city so I don't see why your getting so bent out of shape about it. All I said was that if Dallas and Philly had the same city limits, the population gap would be even bigger then it is now. That's all I'm saying.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:41 PM

6,691 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:

Dallas doesn't even use all of the land. 30 sq mi of it is floodplains/parks and 45 sq mi is water. A large portion of Southern Dallas is undeveloped.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,293 times
Quote:
Dallas doesn't even use all of the land. 30 sq mi of it is floodplains/parks and 45 sq mi is water. A large portion of Southern Dallas is undeveloped.
The rest of it is freeways and tract housing.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Fairmount Park takes up 10% of the city limits of Philly. Like I said in another thread "It goes both ways of the spectrum".

Old 04-14-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Why do you keep on bringing up the Delaware river? All I am doing is making a fair comparison since city limits vary from size. Either way Philly is still a larger city so I don't see why your getting so bent out of shape about it. All I said was that if Dallas and Philly had the same city limits, the population gap would be even bigger then it is now. That's all I'm saying.
There is no doubt you are correct...Philly would be the biggest, most mountainous, best climate city it if was bigger, near the mountains and was in California for climate.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:52 PM

6,691 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
The rest of it is freeways and tract housing.
That's totally untrue. You will only see a lot of that in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City