Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Shopping
Chicago 49 57.65%
San Francisco 29 34.12%
Tie 7 8.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:47 PM

358 posts, read 751,106 times

Advertisements

My vote goes to SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I lived in Atlanta and currently live in SF. Atlanta is definitely better for most shopping compared to SF!
You are on crack...Phipps and Lenox over Union Square? Really now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 08:06 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,173,601 times
San Francisco holds its own against Chicago. Atlanta and D.C. shouldn't even be mentioned. SF and Chicago are on another level.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:04 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,587,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx_kidd View Post
no way a midwestern town wins this lol...I have been to union square and its vibe is incredible...all the hustle and bustle
This is why people from the Midwest couldn't care less about what people from the coasts think of us because we know we have the best everything. Obviously you have never seen the hustle and bustle of Michigan Avenue.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:33 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,454,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGTSS View Post
I agree with....

1. New York, NY
2. Los Angeles, CA
3. Miami, FL
4. Chicago, IL
5. San Francisco, CA

i agree too

Dallas, Boston, Houston, Atlanta, DC, Seattle are the next tier

Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,372,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
This is why people from the Midwest couldn't care less about what people from the coasts think of us because we know we have the best everything. Obviously you have never seen the hustle and bustle of Michigan Avenue.

nobody has the best of everything... michigan ave is cool and all, but come on...

Old 11-23-2009, 07:11 PM

672 posts, read 1,781,324 times
I've been to Michigan Ave. in Chicago seems to have just about the same vibe and equivalent to Union Square in SF. However, I have to admit that shopping in the vintage/thrift/boutique shops may be a little more fun because of all the unique neighborhoods in SF that you get to walk through, not to mention weather.

You add in the unique shopping experiences in the suburbs of SF like Berkeley, Palo Alto, Marin, Los Gatos, and SF might nudge Chicago out here. My wife likes the artsy cute stuff, and the Bay Area has that in spades. The experience is just plain better imo.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:51 PM

71 posts, read 188,785 times
Chicago offers plenty unique shopping experiences in the neighborhoods. A lot of the suburban downtowns have nice shopping districts. But I have never had to leave the city limits to find anything.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
I've been to Michigan Ave. in Chicago seems to have just about the same vibe and equivalent to Union Square in SF. However, I have to admit that shopping in the vintage/thrift/boutique shops may be a little more fun because of all the unique neighborhoods in SF that you get to walk through, not to mention weather.

You add in the unique shopping experiences in the suburbs of SF like Berkeley, Palo Alto, Marin, Los Gatos, and SF might nudge Chicago out here. My wife likes the artsy cute stuff, and the Bay Area has that in spades. The experience is just plain better imo.
Did you explore Chicago's suburbs? There are TONS of little, charming burbs bustling with art walks, etc, buttloads of antique stores, etc. And there are more neighborhoods in Chicago than in SF, did you explore those? Or were you just a tourist and hit Michigan Ave and Oak St?

And if you like cool, damp, foggy, cold summers, than San Fran's weather is definitely "better".

Old 11-23-2009, 09:52 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,432,455 times
I usually shop @ K MART...LOL.....SEARS and JC PENNEY for "high-end"...so the cities posted are inconsequential as far as my shopping goes.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:43 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And if you like cool, damp, foggy, cold summers, than San Fran's weather is definitely "better".
SF in summer is an oasis surrounded by a nation of HEAT....Chicago is an uncomfortable steambath in summer by comparison.

Hell, even our hot areas have a more preferable and tolerable kind of heat than Chicago(land).

Shopping is one thing, Weather is something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City