U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most authentic southern state
Virginia 6 2.78%
North Carolina 7 3.24%
South Carolina 15 6.94%
Georgia 15 6.94%
Florida 4 1.85%
Alabama 39 18.06%
Mississippi 78 36.11%
Louisiana 18 8.33%
Texas 12 5.56%
Arkansas 9 4.17%
Tennessee 10 4.63%
Kentucky 3 1.39%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:26 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,317,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Previously, I don't even think you considered southeastern NC as Deep Southern. So why not the rest of eastern NC and where do you consider the dividing line to be? That whole swath of the state is very, very similar throughout, from Rocky Mount on down to Lumberton.
True, but recalling my experience in Northeastern SC, I've allowed the likelihood that SE NC is one in the same; however, my memories of ENC itself don't seem to have a huge deal of resemblance to what I've always called the Deep South. I simply have trouble placing an area that borders Virginia in the same subregion as Louisiana and Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 09:57 PM

27,708 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
True, but recalling my experience in Northeastern SC, I've allowed the likelihood that SE NC is one in the same; however, my memories of ENC itself don't seem to have a huge deal of resemblance to what I've always called the Deep South. I simply have trouble placing an area that borders Virginia in the same subregion as Louisiana and Mississippi.
Trust and believe, they all belong in the same subregion more or less--and that same area borders SC, which is pretty far removed from LA and MS. Obviously a border or line of demarcation has to exist somewhere, but there's nothing that would cause a sharp division culturally, demographically, economically, geographically, etc. between southeastern NC and the immediate surrounding areas of eastern NC. Economically depressed, large rural Black population where slavery was prominent, agriculture-based economy (cotton, tobacco), etc.--it all fits.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Trust and believe, they all belong in the same subregion more or less--and that same area borders SC, which is pretty far removed from LA and MS. Obviously a border or line of demarcation has to exist somewhere, but there's nothing that would cause a sharp division culturally, demographically, economically, geographically, etc. between southeastern NC and the immediate surrounding areas of eastern NC. Economically depressed, large rural Black population where slavery was prominent, agriculture-based economy (cotton, tobacco), etc.--it all fits.
For what it's worth, the original definition of the Deep South was exclusive to LA, MS, AL, GA, and FL.

I see your point, I'm just not 100% on it.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:23 PM

34 posts, read 46,750 times
Quote:
Not to completely discredit your opinion, but I'm not convinced NC could be the most authentic southern state. There's only one small portion of it that's barely in the Deep South.
"Southern Culture" is a generalization that refers to the overall culture of the south. There are multiple southern subcultures. The Deep South is just one of many subcultures found in the South, and i would consider most of Eastern North Carolina to be the Deep South. You have to remember, the Southern Appalachian mountains have a culture all their own.

Ever seen the show Lizard Lick Towing? Takes place in Lizard Lick, NC. If that ain't southern then idk what is!!

Old 05-17-2013, 11:27 PM

34 posts, read 46,750 times
Quote:
For what it's worth, the original definition of the Deep South was exclusive to LA, MS, AL, GA, and FL.
I tend to agree with your definition. Northern Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky all seem to have a culture rooted in the Appalachians, while Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Southern Georgia, and the Florida Panhandle can be considered Deep South.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 AM

27,708 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:

I see your point, I'm just not 100% on it.
But not even all parts of some of those states are characteristically Deep South, like northern AL and GA, and peninsular FL. The Deep South is more of a physiographical region defined by geographic and cultural characteristics instead of sharp state boundaries, and Eastern NC is definitely a part of it on that basis.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:53 AM

14,005 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Quote:
Exactly, NC fits perfectly. Especially the the cotton/tobacco based economy, the textile factories that used to dot the state, and the large rural Black population. Still plenty of rural Blacks in this state(NC).
What also makes NC very Southern and similar to the deep South, is the strong Baptist culture of the state. It's often been said NC is the buckle of the Bible Belt. Home of Billy Grahm and many gospel artist. NC, really doesn't look much diffirent than Northern GA, Northern SC, Northern LA, East Texas, or Northern Miss. NC is where(to me at least) the Deep South and Appalachia meet.

Last edited by polo89; 05-18-2013 at 02:03 AM..

Old 05-18-2013, 02:01 AM

14,005 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhx View Post
"Southern Culture" is a generalization that refers to the overall culture of the south. There are multiple southern subcultures. The Deep South is just one of many subcultures found in the South, and i would consider most of Eastern North Carolina to be the Deep South. You have to remember, the Southern Appalachian mountains have a culture all their own.

Ever seen the show Lizard Lick Towing? Takes place in Lizard Lick, NC. If that ain't southern then idk what is!!
I had no ideal Lizard Lick was in NC. I'm telling you, alot of Southern shows, and movies are filmed in NC, especially around the Wilmington area(eastern NC). There's a great portion of big NC cities(especially Charlotte) that are still heavily wooded, and still contain major roads that are only two-lanes. Charlotte is a big, bank, and economically and population boom city. Yet even in Charlotte, there are many areas one would think was straight out of the movie "Deliverance". NC is weird in that regard. It's like the infrastructure is 10yrs late, like they didn't expect Charlottes population to boom like it has in the last 5-10yrs. The light-rail is expanding though. Awesome.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhx View Post

I realize all of this, but let's also realize that NC is the arguably most progressive state in the south with a culture and population that seems to become more and more Mid-Atlantic every year. It's definitely southern, but I don't think it's anywhere close to being as southern as Louisiana or Mississippi; Deep South or not.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:27 AM

1,356 posts, read 2,216,639 times
Quote:
I realize all of this, but let's also realize that NC is the arguably most progressive state in the south with a culture and population that seems to become more and more Mid-Atlantic every year. It's definitely southern, but I don't think it's anywhere close to being as southern as Louisiana or Mississippi; Deep South or not.
I don't agree NC is becoming Mid-Atlantic at all, regardless of how many transplants are moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City