U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most authentic southern state
Virginia 6 2.78%
North Carolina 7 3.24%
South Carolina 15 6.94%
Georgia 15 6.94%
Florida 4 1.85%
Alabama 39 18.06%
Mississippi 78 36.11%
Louisiana 18 8.33%
Texas 12 5.56%
Arkansas 9 4.17%
Tennessee 10 4.63%
Kentucky 3 1.39%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,317,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But not even all parts of some of those states are characteristically Deep South, like northern AL and GA, and peninsular FL. The Deep South is more of a physiographical region defined by geographic and cultural characteristics instead of sharp state boundaries, and Eastern NC is definitely a part of it on that basis.
I should've specified that the original definition included parts of those states, but not all of them. I doubt there's any other poster on this site who's got into more debates about what the Deep South is than I, so I'm definitely pretty gung-ho about it.

We'll simply have to agree to disagree. Again, SE North Carolina makes some sense, but I'm just not buying ENC as a whole. I'm clearly not the only one, since any part of the state is rarely included in definitions of the Deep South.

Remember that the term isn't just about black folks and cotton. It's also been used to refer to the original Confederate states of TX, LA, MS, AL, GA, FL, SC, and, today, I think many folks would apply it to the most southern, agriculture heavy parts of those states. Only the broadest and most lenient definitions will include NC.

Just how familiar are you with the central southern states of LA, MS, and AL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 AM

27,715 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
I don't agree NC is becoming Mid-Atlantic at all, regardless of how many transplants are moving here.
Yeah I wasn't going to touch that one, LOL. I understand that people are mostly referring to the cultural and demographic shifts that have been taking place within parts of the state when they say that, but still.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah I wasn't going to touch that one, LOL. I understand that people are mostly referring to the cultural and demographic shifts that have been taking place within parts of the state when they say that, but still.
It's pretty much happening the same way that Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas have been "losing" their southernness.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
It's pretty much happening the same way that Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas have been "losing" their southernness.
True, but it can happen without the place being assigned to another geographic region, although that's tempting to do for places closer to regional borders.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
True, but it can happen without the place being assigned to another geographic region, although that's tempting to do for places closer to regional borders.
Well, I never said it was the Mid-Atlantic, but the influence is certainly there, which why I don't think it's accurate to claim that NC could somehow be the most authentic southern state.

I've heard North Carolinans that speak with an accent that sounds more East Coast than southern.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:19 AM

1,136 posts, read 2,086,050 times
Quote:
Well, I never said it was the Mid-Atlantic, but the influence is certainly there, which why I don't think it's accurate to claim that NC could somehow be the most authentic southern state.

I've heard North Carolinans that speak with an accent that sounds more East Coast than southern.
Go 20 miles outside of charlotte and Raleigh and tell me if that's mostly true

Old 05-18-2013, 10:25 AM

1,136 posts, read 2,086,050 times
So reversing this list from the results the least authentic southern states are

1. Florida/Virginia (#1)
2. Kentucky
3. North Carolina
4. Georgia/Texas
5. South Carolina
6. Louisiana
7. Alabama
8. Mississippi (#10)

I feel like VA should be after Florida....and Texas should be after Georgia.....for the tie breakers....

Old 05-18-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I can agree with the last part, but any true mid-Atlantic influence is mostly historic (i.e., Quakers in the Triad, Old Salem, etc.).

Quote:
Transplants most likely.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:39 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,064,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Most of NC is pretty darn Southern. Most of NC, is characteristically similar to the one slice of Texas that is considered the Deep South(east Texas). In other words, if Austin, SA, and Dallas are considered Southern, most of NC is Southern for sure.
MOST OF NC!!!! All of North Carolina is Southern. That's like saying most of Michigan is Midwestern...North Carolina is 100% Southern in every single respect. As far as the most authentic southern state goes however, I'd probably say it's not. South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana could all be considered among the most authentically Southern states. In addition, I'd throw in Arkansas and Tennessee in with North Carolina...they are all 100% Southern without influences from outside regions.

Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, Texas, and Oklahoma I'd all consider majority Southern, but they do have influences from other regions.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:01 AM

14,005 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Quote:
I realize all of this, but let's also realize that NC is the arguably most progressive state in the south with a culture and population that seems to become more and more Mid-Atlantic every year. It's definitely southern, but I don't think it's anywhere close to being as southern as Louisiana or Mississippi; Deep South or not.
Well, NC is progressive. But why should being progressive be marks against a states Southerness? Heck, NC still went slightly red in this past election. I'm not saying it's not progressive, but that doesn't negate NC's prevailing Southern culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City