U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most authentic southern state
Virginia 6 2.78%
North Carolina 7 3.24%
South Carolina 15 6.94%
Georgia 15 6.94%
Florida 4 1.85%
Alabama 39 18.06%
Mississippi 78 36.11%
Louisiana 18 8.33%
Texas 12 5.56%
Arkansas 9 4.17%
Tennessee 10 4.63%
Kentucky 3 1.39%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:49 PM

2,714 posts, read 6,318,419 times

Advertisements

To the best of my knowledge-Mississippi is the most authentic southern state with Louisiana or Alabama next, then Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, Texas, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky.

Specifically if one wants to identify some areas of adjacent states you could wedge north Florida between Georgia and SC; tie NC and Va located outside of NOVA, southern West Virginia after or tying with Kentucky, east Texas between SC and Arkansas.

Oklahoma and to a lesser extent, Missouri have a bit of southerness but beyond that I couldn't say as I never have actually visited Maryland or Delaware. Florida south of north Florida is largely northern in culture now. Actually southernmost Illinois and Indiana seem slightly more southern in culture than does central and southern Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 04:02 PM

2,248 posts, read 5,953,616 times
I've never considered Texas anything other than the South (perhaps the eastern 2/3, anyway). Not Old School south, but similar to Arkansas and Louisiana.

It seems as though that word carries negative connotations though, so it doesn't surprise me that cities like Austin and Miami are ashamed of their Southern roots.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:07 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,018,508 times
Yeah, Texas is definitely the South in my opinion...Most of the residents live in the eastern half of the state so the majority of the state's residents reflect the culture of states further east.

Last edited by solytaire; 11-18-2009 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-18-2009, 04:08 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,815,975 times
I think Mississippi takes the cake and honorable mention to Alabama.

It completely irks me how when threads like this are made, it always turns into a conversation about how Texas is not southern. You're right, it's not all southern but there are many parts that are and have people who associate with that. And whoever said Texas isn't know for southern food and such, have you ever been to east Texas? I mean people talk about deserts and cowboys when you say Texas, but I don't know anyone who denies that part of it isn't southern though. Same with Florida. Its just that Texas is such a big state that someone from the western part isn't really southern, so you get confused.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:25 PM

751 posts, read 1,066,112 times
Most authentic? well how about I went with an area that is part of the 13 colonies and said SC

Old 11-18-2009, 04:27 PM

155 posts, read 278,239 times
You have a point, South Carolina has not experienced the same insane growth as Georgia and North Carolina.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:28 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,603,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Only geographically.....
Well, that's the number one qualifier.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:49 PM

13,856 posts, read 21,892,812 times
If you mean lowest percentage of people born out of state that would seem to be Louisiana with Kentucky second. If neither of them fits the idea of what's desired than Mississippi than/or Alabama.

Maps: Migration Flows in the United States - Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Old 11-18-2009, 09:52 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,868,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Well, that's the number one qualifier.
The heck it is. Most of Florida has been disowned by hte family of Southern states.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:30 PM

4,552 posts, read 12,986,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I would probably say that would be Alabama, Louisiana, or Mississippi. To a slightly lesser extent, Tennessee, Georgia, and Kentucky as well (Parts of Atlanta don't feel too "Southern" to me and I don't know if TN could be considered a "Deep South" state like the first three), but rural Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Georgia all seem extremely Southern.

South Carolina is pretty close, but is starting to get a bit tainted by Northerners flocking to areas such as Myrtle Beach and even Charleston. Virginia and Florida were once extremely Southern, but Virginia (northern Virginia) has been tainted by Washington D.C.'s influence and Florida has been tainted by....many things (Northerners flocking in droves, tourists overrunning the Orlando area, Hispanic influence in Miami, etc.) North Carolina certainly is a Southern state with its love of barbecue and huge tobacco industry, but Northerners are most likely starting to dilute that area as well.

Don't believe anyone who says Texas. Texas is not a Southern state, so it is disqualified (Nothing against Texas).

I don't know enough about the demographics of Arkansas, and Oklahoma, while I consider it a Southern state, it seems to have more of a Midwestern feel. Arkansas probably feels more Southern than Oklahoma.

Arkansas feels very Southern to me, why dont most people consider it Southern?

I went with Mississippi though.

earlier today, I was in my hometown in E.NM, I came across this guy who is known to roam around town on his bike, he was telling me he was from Kentucky and let me tell ya, this guy fits the stereotypical image of someone from Kentucky, my girlfriend told me she didnt even know people were really like that.

this guy is a tall county boy and had 4 top teeth, the rest were rotted gums, he talked so slowly with a big drawl, he talked about KU basketball and about black folks. He was everything that represents KY(in a stereotype).

anyways, I imagine Kentucky is pretty darn Southern as well,never been there though

Last edited by desert sun; 11-18-2009 at 10:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City