U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most authentic southern state
Virginia 6 2.78%
North Carolina 7 3.24%
South Carolina 15 6.94%
Georgia 15 6.94%
Florida 4 1.85%
Alabama 39 18.06%
Mississippi 78 36.11%
Louisiana 18 8.33%
Texas 12 5.56%
Arkansas 9 4.17%
Tennessee 10 4.63%
Kentucky 3 1.39%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:47 PM

4,347 posts, read 6,931,478 times

Advertisements

From someone who has lived in the south their whole life and has traveled the south (and I mean EVERY state considered to be in the geographical south) I say Mississippi takes the cake on most authentic southern. Alabama comes in second. Then Tennessee.

Kentucky and West Virginia are far more southern than some might think... as well as Florida (mostly North Florida)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:49 PM

10,167 posts, read 16,647,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>

Oklahoma is exactly what it's geography dictates....a "westernized" version of the South. Midwest is not a proper designation for OkieVille, but one could certainly call Oklahoma the Southwest or the quintessential state (similar to Texas and Western Arkansas) in which Southern culture begins to mix with Southwestern/Western culture.
As usual, EXCELLENT post and summation, my friend. I would only slightly quibble with one thing.

That is, that, really, Texas/Oklahoma/western Arkansas history/culture makes up it own brand of "Southwestern" that is totally different from the "Southwest of New Mexico and Arizona, and certainly from the "West" of the Rocky Mountain States.

Ours is the blend of South and frontier west. If anything, we influenced them in small areas (like eastern New Mexico)...otherwise, we are our own seperate sub-region of the larger South. We bring into it a flavor that cannot be matched anywhere else. Lots of Southern states can say they are both Southern and eastern. How many can say they are Southern and western?

And heck, I am proud of it, and know you are. After all, we are the part of the South that epitomizes the frontier spirit that motivated those from the southeast to keep going westward. An extended family sorta thing....

God bless the South! All of it.

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-20-2009 at 10:58 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 11:37 PM

5,329 posts, read 7,377,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
As usual, EXCELLENT post and summation, my friend. I would only slightly quibble with one thing.

That is, that, really, Texas/Oklahoma/western Arkansas history/culture makes up it own brand of "Southwestern" that is totally different from the "Southwest of New Mexico and Arizona, and certainly from the "West" of the Rocky Mountain States.

Ours is the blend of South and frontier west. If anything, we influenced them in small areas (like eastern New Mexico)...otherwise, we are our own seperate sub-region of the larger South. We bring into it a flavor that cannot be matched anywhere else. Lots of Southern states can say they are both Southern and eastern. How many can say they are Southern and western?

And heck, I am proud of it, and know you are. After all, we are the part of the South that epitomizes the frontier spirit that motivated those from the southeast to keep going westward. An extended family sorta thing....

God bless the South! All of it.
>>>>>
<<<<<

Absolutely, Brother!

Thank you for clarifying that for I'm sure there are many folks out there that hear "Southwest" and immediately think Arizona/New Mexico. Or when someone hears "West" they immediatley think California. Culturally Arizona/New Mexico/California share little in common with us South-Central folk---Arkies, Texans, and Okies.

Oklahoma/Texas (and as you mention, parts of Arkansas) share a brand of Southwest which is distinctly/overtly Southern with a dash of the Old West mixed in there.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:35 AM

358 posts, read 625,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanAaron View Post
I've heard that the South has been experiencing a "yankee invasion" which I guess is a movement of Americans from northern states into the South, so my question is what is the most authentic southern state for southern culture in USA
Can someone please explain exactly what southern culture is? My impression of it is not a favorable one. And why do southerners always have to proclaim how southern they are? Sounds like an inferiority complex to me, but I could be wrong.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:53 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,769,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
Can someone please explain exactly what southern culture is? My impression of it is not a favorable one. And why do southerners always have to proclaim how southern they are? Sounds like an inferiority complex to me, but I could be wrong.
Yeah, you would be wrong for the most part.

On C-D, it's more of a defense mechanism against posts like this one.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:01 PM

358 posts, read 625,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yeah, you would be wrong for the most part.

On C-D, it's more of a defense mechanism against posts like this one.
So because you say "Y'all" and "Thank You" alot, and chit chat with me in line at the grocery store, that's what make you different (and better) than the rest of the country?

Not looking to pick a fight, but I'm really curious as to what TRUE southerners think sets them apart from the rest of us. Do tell.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:27 PM

10,167 posts, read 16,647,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
So because you say "Y'all" and "Thank You" alot, and chit chat with me in line at the grocery store, that's what make you different (and better) than the rest of the country?
*stratches head* Yeah, come to think of it? *snaps fingers* That IS it. Wish I'd articulated it that way before. Shame, shame...

Quote:
Not looking to pick a fight, but I'm really curious as to what TRUE southerners think sets them apart from the rest of us. Do tell.
Wellll, start with that we are proud to be Southerners. What is so hard to understand about that?

Old 11-21-2009, 01:01 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,863,802 times
I'd guess Mississippi, as it seems to have had the least Northern influence and migrants/transplants, followed by most of Alabama.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:05 PM

9 posts, read 15,366 times
I voted for South Carolina, because it was one of the orginal 13 colonies and looks the most southern with its architecture like Charlestown and the plantations, South Carolina also has that southern charm and spirit.

South Carolina, Georgia too but Atlanta has changed Georgia and then after those then Mississippi

Last edited by Seany Boy; 12-09-2009 at 07:06 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 06:37 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,964,979 times
Texas is BOTH Southern AND Southwestern. If Houston is considered a Southern city, BUT El Paso is considered a SOUTHWESTERN city, THEN TX is in BOTH regions, instead of one. Therefore Texas is considered BOTH. It wouldn't be LOGICAL if Texas was considered to be in just ONE of the regions. It's way to big, so wouldn't make sense. And Fort Worth's city slogan is, "where the west begins".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City