U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most authentic southern state
Virginia 6 2.78%
North Carolina 7 3.24%
South Carolina 15 6.94%
Georgia 15 6.94%
Florida 4 1.85%
Alabama 39 18.06%
Mississippi 78 36.11%
Louisiana 18 8.33%
Texas 12 5.56%
Arkansas 9 4.17%
Tennessee 10 4.63%
Kentucky 3 1.39%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2009, 05:00 PM

10,167 posts, read 16,645,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree with everything you say, BUT there are certain people out there in West Texas including Odessa, Midland, Van Horn, etc, etc, that do not consider themselves Southerners, but rather Westerners. Heck, I even knew people in Austin that don't consider themselves Southerners, they rather consider themselves Westerners or just Texans.
Once again, I see your point and for sure people in far western and far southern parts of the state are less likely to see themselves as "Southern" as those in the eastern and northern two/thirds of the state.

BUT..even in most of west and south Texas --according to the latest sociological self-identication surveys done -- a majority easily consider themselves to live in the South and be Southerners, as opposed to West and Westerners. This is starkly contrasted with New Mexico and Arizona, where the opposite is the preference.

Of course, it is just my opinion, but I always felt that self-identification with a region is, arguably, the most important of all.

Anyway, this map (IMHO of course, LOL) was one of the best ever done:

Cultural regions of the south map
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 05:30 PM

18,212 posts, read 25,908,730 times
LOL@ the poll. The fact that Texas has more votes than South Carolina and as many as Georgia makes me laugh. Clearly these 6 people have never been to Brownsville or El Paso.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:35 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,961,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
LOL@ the poll. The fact that Texas has more votes than South Carolina and as many as Georgia makes me laugh. Clearly these 6 people have never been to Brownsville or El Paso.
Haha, Or even Austin, San Antonio, Del Rio, Laredo, McAllen, or Kingsville.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:43 PM

14,006 posts, read 21,961,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Once again, I see your point and for sure people in far western and far southern parts of the state are less likely to see themselves as "Southern" as those in the eastern and northern two/thirds of the state.

BUT..even in most of west and south Texas --according to the latest sociological self-identication surveys done -- a majority easily consider themselves to live in the South and be Southerners, as opposed to West and Westerners. This is starkly contrasted with New Mexico and Arizona, where the opposite is the preference.

Of course, it is just my opinion, but I always felt that self-identification with a region is, arguably, the most important of all.

Anyway, this map (IMHO of course, LOL) was one of the best ever done:

Cultural regions of the south map
Touche. That map seems somewhat accurate. It has the transition zone around Austin San Antonio the Hill Country and South Texas and it has the WHOLE Trans-Pecos region and the horn of Texas and the WHOLE South Texas below San Antonio as straight up NOT part of the South. That map seems kinda accurate to me.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Touche. That map seems somewhat accurate. It has the transition zone around Austin San Antonio the Hill Country and South Texas and it has the WHOLE Trans-Pecos region and the horn of Texas and the WHOLE South Texas below San Antonio as straight up NOT part of the South. That map seems kinda accurate to me.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that map! (JJW did a great job on it). But important to remember that at one time, Austin...and even San Antonio...were dominated by Southern culture and history. Today, Austin has become California East/South. And San Antonio being reclaimed by Mexico. But it wasn't always that way. The older parts of each are still Southern, in most ways....

Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 PM

756 posts, read 672,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Anyway, Texas is a Southern state. What are your reasons/credentials to disqualify it? Or? To disbelieve those who feel otherwise. I honestly anxiously await!

BTW - I voted Mississippi. That it happens to be my primary "ancestral home-state" doesn't influence.
You go a point Texas is very southern... Just Southwestern... I think the aim of this poll was more like, traditional southern. There's a large difference in culture of acclaimed southern states vs. Texas.
I voted 'Bama, cuz Tim Tebow cried and it made me happy.... Plus it's my ancestral home-state

Old 12-12-2009, 12:14 AM

5,329 posts, read 7,376,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaider08 View Post
You go a point Texas is very southern... Just Southwestern... I think the aim of this poll was more like, traditional southern. There's a large difference in culture of acclaimed southern states vs. Texas.
I voted 'Bama, cuz Tim Tebow cried and it made me happy.... Plus it's my ancestral home-state
>>>>>
I voted 'Bama, cuz Tim Tebow cried and it made me happy....
<<<<<

Amen!

That man-child crying like that was totally unacceptable....just shouldn't ever happen from a seasoned college athlete.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:31 AM

Well, I gotta say I voted Mississippi. That is MY ancestral home. My heart and mind and knack for BS is solid in Texas (the WESTERN South)...but most of my kin came from the state which is pronounced "M..eye...crooked letter crooked letter eye...humpback humpback eye.." Gotta visit it and spend time there someday!

Old 12-12-2009, 12:36 AM

1,528 posts, read 5,590,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Don't believe anyone who says Texas. Texas is not a Southern state, so it is disqualified (Nothing against Texas).
Whoa, who said you could disqualify???
Not that I care, but who are you to say Texas IS or ISN'T southern?

Old 12-12-2009, 10:45 PM

480 posts, read 650,034 times
(For many years San Antonio was called a "blend of Old Mexico and Old South")

Today? It is very much going back the opposite direction. In fact, that is an understatement...it already HAS! LOL Anyway, I don't how to label large parts of South Texas, anymore. Despite its large and majority hispanic population, it is still not "Southwest" as in NM or AZ...or even El Paso. But it has definitely lost a lot of classic "Southern flavor" (although the presence -- as Mr. McCoy and Spade have noted --is still very much there in many areas).

Oh well...that is a confusing one! [/quote]

I live in San Antonio although I may not say I'm a southern and would say I live in the south and not the west or even southwest. I would say I'm Texan first, graphically speaking you can't go much further south than SA in the way of a large city except Miami. Houston being 200 miles to the east is slightly north of SA. SA is a blend of Old Mexico and Old South as well as German culture. SA didn't become majority Hispanic until the 1970 census, all these cultures played a role. My pick was Mississippi too they don't have large city with a flood of people from all over the US like Atlanta or Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City