U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, which city is the greatest?
Chicago 168 40.58%
New York City 246 59.42%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-16-2008, 12:09 AM

29 posts, read 35,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Whoa!!! When are they planning that tower for midtown Manhattan to be completed?? I haven't heard a word about it. Is it under construction? I am usually up-to-speed on new towers in the city...great news if it's built!!

The MoMa was about to start with pre-construction, but the stupid and selfish NIMBYs complained that the tower is too "tall and out of context" with the rest of the buildings in their neighborhood (yes, too tall in Midtown Manhattan ). Anyway, it will more than likely start sometime this year but the landmarks & commission has to approve it.

It is supposed to hold the best/highest star 100 room hotel in the United States, New space for the museum, and 120 super-high end residential condo's from around $6,000,000 - $40,000,000 +.

But this is my favorite proposed tower on 80 South Street:

Last edited by NYNY10023; 03-16-2008 at 12:24 AM..

Old 03-16-2008, 12:11 AM

3,597 posts, read 7,705,204 times
Like anything else, when we compare cities what we're really comparing are cartoons; they highlight the themes we've all "seen", but don't really exist.

Secondly, there is a gross flaw in the idea that it's Chicago vs. NYC. Because it's not. It's Chicago vs. Manhattan. Especially because Manhattan is the actual "New York county".

Chicago stacks up immensely well against Manhattan. It's always been an incredibly close draw and, to my best judgment, there hasn't been a clear winner since the early 19th century. It was around that time that, threatened by Chicago, Manhattan forcibly annexed the other boroughs and created this "New York City" thing. The Bronx is basically another city unto itself even to this day, and the culture/lifestyle is much closer to the real New York we dream of from the 70's. It's also much less glamorous; that real NYC has always been considered by the elites of the east coast to be as gauche and tacky as wearing a brown belt with black shoes.

The startling difference is this: People live in Chicago. By contrast, people move through Manhattan. No one's ever going to be able to afford to live there, not unless you have millions to deal with property taxes if by some miracle of god you find a pantry cupboard for sale.

This is such a fundamental difference between the two cities that it's completely changed how I view both of them. It makes Chicago a real city in my mind, and it makes Manhattan a very nice hotel. Consider that when you judge Chicago vs. NYC, because those people in Chicago are real city folk, while those people in Manhattan are increasingly New Jersey/CT/Bronx suburban folk.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:56 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,134,668 times
Wow, that NYC future skyline is beautiful. And Chicago's will only get more awesome as well with it's Trump Tower and the Spire.

Both cities are THE best in the US and in the world!

Personally, I prefer Chicago because it has almost everything New York has at a third of the price, and there's a reason Chicago can't beat NYC classic and erratic vibe - because it's completely different! Classic and erratic in a different way, and a bit more friendly and homier in my opinion.

But I love NYC and always will go and visit it whenever I can because it's my 2nd home!!

Okay Mod, time to close this old and dug up thread!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 01:17 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,720,995 times
New York and Chicago are untouchable. That's it. They're untouchable.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:43 AM

112 posts, read 298,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
In overall qualities (e.g.: skyline, architecture, food, setting, etc) which is the greatest city: Chicago or New York City?
They are both great cities, but I prefer New York's massive and stunning skyline, setting, shopping, aesthetics, weather, food and architecture.

But New York and Chicago are the greatest cities in this country in my opinion. Chicago and New York just feel different, the vibe seems more relaxed and Americana in Chicago and New York's vibe is just more upbeat, snobby and "cosmopolitan."

Its really hard to compare the two but both are spectacular!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:43 AM

30 posts, read 361,831 times
As a lover and frequent visitor of both cities and a great appreciator of art and architecture, I can safetly say this is a silly discussion. Of course architecture is a crucial element to the identity of a city, but there is much more to a city than its skyline. The truely amazing things happen in the perhaps less than architecturally inspiring buildings. I'm speaking of ideas, innovation, and a thirst for advancing mankind. These ideas can happen in the tallest highrise or in the darkest slum.

That said, Chicago pales in comparison to NYC if we are simply talking about high rise buildings. Lets put aside the Chicago's very questionable claim to having the "first" high-rise. Architectural experts would agree its a matter of interpretation of the term. Looking at aethetics only, NYC simply has more beautiful buildings. Who cares if they are taller? Lets simply look at the most popular buildings of the two cities: The Sears Tower and John Hancock towers in Chicago are dreadful buildings at best. Their sad black sillouttes and lack of geometry speak only of emptiness to me. A nice weekend retreat for Darth Vader perhaps. Granted, I love many of Chicago's architecture such as the Mies towers along Lake Shore and of course the Wrigley building. The new Trump Tower is growing on me.

NYC has the iconic Empire State Building that has influenced and inspired countless architects (can you say Freedom Tower?) as well as the ever re-evolving Chrysler Building. Please name me an architect inspired by the giant monstrosities of Chicago I spoke of earlier?

Finally, the proposed buildings for NYC (much like the Trump in Chicago) appear to take into consideration the overall urban look and feel of the city while also seeking to be forward looking in their own right. This respect for the cities architectural heritage (and a beautiful one at that) is what truely seperates NYC. Just glancing at the stunning beauty and quality of the proposed MOMA tower seen in earlier blogs or the new towers at the ground zero I believe proves these point. The hideous, pompous, and primarily ego driven "Spire" of the Chicago skyline also proves this point. Chicago's self-obsession with architecture is consequentially also its demise. And a last point, with few exceptions, Calatrava's low rise museums and civil projects are awe-inspiring, but the man should not be allowed to design high-rise architecture. His gift is in the horizontal (see his bridges) and not in the vertical. Thank you for your time.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:57 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,462,622 times
Here is the difference between NY & Chicago.

New York is the center of the universe... Chicago is just one of the great world cities

In terms of urban development, New York & Chicago are the two best models of how a city should be built.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:10 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,462,622 times
I respect your opinion but I think you should read this article in a different perspective to really understand why the American Institute of Architects considered Chicago #1 when it comes to architecture.

"Affirming the evident, the American Institute of Architects recently judged Chicago the city with the finest architecture in the country. To take the obvious a bit further, Chicago holds more important buildings of the past century and a half than any other place in the world."

The Not-So-Second City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in Skyscrapers View Post
As a lover and frequent visitor of both cities and a great appreciator of art and architecture, I can safetly say this is a silly discussion. Of course architecture is a crucial element to the identity of a city, but there is much more to a city than its skyline. The truely amazing things happen in the perhaps less than architecturally inspiring buildings. I'm speaking of ideas, innovation, and a thirst for advancing mankind. These ideas can happen in the tallest highrise or in the darkest slum.

That said, Chicago pales in comparison to NYC if we are simply talking about high rise buildings. Lets put aside the Chicago's very questionable claim to having the "first" high-rise. Architectural experts would agree its a matter of interpretation of the term. Looking at aethetics only, NYC simply has more beautiful buildings. Who cares if they are taller? Lets simply look at the most popular buildings of the two cities: The Sears Tower and John Hancock towers in Chicago are dreadful buildings at best. Their sad black sillouttes and lack of geometry speak only of emptiness to me. A nice weekend retreat for Darth Vader perhaps. Granted, I love many of Chicago's architecture such as the Mies towers along Lake Shore and of course the Wrigley building. The new Trump Tower is growing on me.

NYC has the iconic Empire State Building that has influenced and inspired countless architects (can you say Freedom Tower?) as well as the ever re-evolving Chrysler Building. Please name me an architect inspired by the giant monstrosities of Chicago I spoke of earlier?

Finally, the proposed buildings for NYC (much like the Trump in Chicago) appear to take into consideration the overall urban look and feel of the city while also seeking to be forward looking in their own right. This respect for the cities architectural heritage (and a beautiful one at that) is what truely seperates NYC. Just glancing at the stunning beauty and quality of the proposed MOMA tower seen in earlier blogs or the new towers at the ground zero I believe proves these point. The hideous, pompous, and primarily ego driven "Spire" of the Chicago skyline also proves this point. Chicago's self-obsession with architecture is consequentially also its demise. And a last point, with few exceptions, Calatrava's low rise museums and civil projects are awe-inspiring, but the man should not be allowed to design high-rise architecture. His gift is in the horizontal (see his bridges) and not in the vertical. Thank you for your time.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:27 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in Skyscrapers View Post
Looking at aethetics only, NYC simply has more beautiful buildings. Who cares if they are taller? Lets simply look at the most popular buildings of the two cities: The Sears Tower and John Hancock towers in Chicago are dreadful buildings at best. Their sad black sillouttes and lack of geometry speak only of emptiness to me. A nice weekend retreat for Darth Vader perhaps. Granted, I love many of Chicago's architecture such as the Mies towers along Lake Shore and of course the Wrigley building. The new Trump Tower is growing on me
While I admit that the Sears Tower isnt beautiful, I think the Hancock is. Its unique, in-your-face, timeless, a staple on the north shore. And how can you like the boring, modern Trump and dislike the Hancock? I think Chicago has NYC beat in terms of architecture, and Im not being a homer, just sharing my opinion.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:51 PM

4,953 posts, read 8,537,792 times
I think NY has more iconic structures than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or