U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, which city is the greatest?
Chicago 168 40.58%
New York City 246 59.42%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:54 PM

2,602 posts, read 4,214,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
That all depends on how huge your head is. When I was in NYC, it just felt like a larger Chicago.
Then you have a serious perception problem.

What did the remark about the huge head mean?

Old 12-23-2008, 02:34 PM

2,045 posts, read 2,493,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Without trying to throw fuel on the fire I'll give my breakdown of the two cities...with as little bias as possible.

Vibrancy ~ NYC. NYC is the most vibrant city in the US. That can be a good or bad thing depending on your taste but if its 24/7 action your looking for NYC is your city.

Food ~ Toss Up. Both cities have great restaurants. While NYC has more restaurants, Chicago's are cheaper and just as good. You get more bang for your buck in Chicago, you get more options in NYC.

Cost of Living ~ Chicago hands down. While Chicago is far from a cheap city to live in, you can actually save up and own property in a decent part of the city. You can also afford to take in all that the city has to offer.

Weather ~ NYC. NYC wins but not by much, coming from the South, anything below 40 is cold for me. IMO your splitting hairs when your talking about a 5-8 degrees difference. Whether its 20 degrees outside, or 30 degrees outside, fact of the matter is I don't want to be outside.

Architecture ~ Toss Up. Both cities have the greatest displays of architecture in this country...period.

Public Transit ~ NYC. While Chicago's public transit could possibly be considered number 2 in this country, its still not on the level of NYC's.

People ~ I'd have to go with Chicago. Both cities have a lot of *******s, crazies, etc. But Chicagoans seem a little more down to earth and more concerned with who you are as a person instead of what brand your wearing.

Well, thats my breakdown of the 2 cities. Both have there positives and negatives. There really shouldn't be too much bashing on this thread considering your talking about 2 of the 3 greatest American cities IMO.
As a high-level, one-coat review, this is pretty accurate. btw --as far as public transit, Chicago is far, far behind NYC, but perhaps number 2 (with DC)... Says somethin' about the state of public transit in the US.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:39 PM

351 posts, read 520,666 times
If you're just looking for a place to survive for a year or two, New York.

If you're looking for a place to LIVE, Chicago.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:18 PM

321 posts, read 1,006,706 times
Survive?? I would never survive in New York for 1 or 2 years, I can't stand thoose rude people!
But you should alway's think of the bright things about New York!

Old 12-23-2008, 03:38 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,731,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian/SWE View Post
Survive?? I would never survive in New York for 1 or 2 years, I can't stand thoose rude people!
But you should alway's think of the bright things about New York!
New Yorkers, by and large, are not rude. That's just part of a reputation we have because...

What we are is direct. We'll tell you exactly what we think--which many people are not prepared to hear.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:57 PM

2,045 posts, read 2,493,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
New Yorkers, by and large, are not rude. That's just part of a reputation we have because...

What we are is direct. We'll tell you exactly what we think--which many people are not prepared to hear.
There are similarities between Chicagoans and New Yorkers. Citizens of both cities are very direct. I do think Chicagoans tend to be a bit more inviting. As far as the assertion that New Yorkers are rude-- I've never witnessed it. But that's just my experience.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:14 PM

2,204 posts, read 4,004,009 times
Quote:
Without trying to throw fuel on the fire I'll give my breakdown of the two cities...with as little bias as possible.

Vibrancy ~ NYC. NYC is the most vibrant city in the US. That can be a good or bad thing depending on your taste but if its 24/7 action your looking for NYC is your city.

Food ~ Toss Up. Both cities have great restaurants. While NYC has more restaurants, Chicago's are cheaper and just as good. You get more bang for your buck in Chicago, you get more options in NYC.

Cost of Living ~ Chicago hands down. While Chicago is far from a cheap city to live in, you can actually save up and own property in a decent part of the city. You can also afford to take in all that the city has to offer.

Weather ~ NYC. NYC wins but not by much, coming from the South, anything below 40 is cold for me. IMO your splitting hairs when your talking about a 5-8 degrees difference. Whether its 20 degrees outside, or 30 degrees outside, fact of the matter is I don't want to be outside.

Architecture ~ Toss Up. Both cities have the greatest displays of architecture in this country...period.

Public Transit ~ NYC. While Chicago's public transit could possibly be considered number 2 in this country, its still not on the level of NYC's.

People ~ I'd have to go with Chicago. Both cities have a lot of *******s, crazies, etc. But Chicagoans seem a little more down to earth and more concerned with who you are as a person instead of what brand your wearing.

Well, thats my breakdown of the 2 cities. Both have there positives and negatives. There really shouldn't be too much bashing on this thread considering your talking about 2 of the 3 greatest American cities IMO.
I very much agree with you on everything, especially the people part.

Chicago has it's share of a-holes, however, they are much more frequent in NYC. I found Chicagoans much more inviting, friendly, and down to Earth, and found that they party much harder than New Yorkers, despite NYC having the best nightlife in the country. I had much more fun at gatherings in Chicago than I did in NYC.

However, NYC still is #1 overall in my book. You just can't beat the vibrancy and the amount of energy and things to do in that city.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:20 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,731,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Chicago has it's share of a-holes, however, they are much more frequent in NYC.
Come on now, be fair. New York has more than three times Chicago's population. We've got more of everything here!

Old 12-23-2008, 06:30 PM

13,266 posts, read 9,998,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Come on now, be fair. New York has more than three times Chicago's population. We've got more of everything here!
Can you add anything to this discussion? For the most part this thread was going pretty well. Add intelligent, sensible comments please.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:10 PM

2,204 posts, read 4,004,009 times
Quote:
Can you add anything to this discussion? For the most part this thread was going pretty well. Add intelligent, sensible comments please.
I think he was just kidding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or