Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, which city is the greatest?
Chicago 168 40.58%
New York City 246 59.42%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,100 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK all the way !!!! new york has 2 of the worlds tallest buildings, the EMPIRE STATE BUILDING, and the new FREEDOM TOWER. its also bigger. chicago also has the SEARS TOWER, and the JOHN HANCOCK BUILDING. but new york has all the rstaraunts , plays , and attractions. the statue of liberty is a national landmark.chicago also has nicer neihborhoods.if it were up to me i would choose NEW YORK over CHICAGO anyday. LOL. they dont call new york the best city in the world for nuthin. LOL. i'm not dissing chicago, i would like to visit someday but new york is my hometown.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:19 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si master View Post
NEW YORK all the way !!!! new york has 2 of the worlds tallest buildings, the EMPIRE STATE BUILDING, and the new FREEDOM TOWER. its also bigger. chicago also has the SEARS TOWER, and the JOHN HANCOCK BUILDING. but new york has all the rstaraunts , plays , and attractions. the statue of liberty is a national landmark.chicago also has nicer neihborhoods.if it were up to me i would choose NEW YORK over CHICAGO anyday. LOL. they dont call new york the best city in the world for nuthin. LOL. i'm not dissing chicago, i would like to visit someday but new york is my hometown.

You posted and you've never visited Chicago?!?

By the way, I'd give NYC the edge if cost of living wasn't a factor.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:34 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si master View Post
Apparently, the English classes they offer in NYC are bloody awful.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:14 PM

187 posts, read 524,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You posted and you've never visited Chicago?!?

By the way, I'd give NYC the edge if cost of living wasn't a factor.

My gut reaction is NYC. However, once I'm reminded of Chicago's crown jewel, The Lakefront(it deserves the reverence of capital letters) Chicago wins hands-down. After all, Chicago has everything NYC has, NYC simply has more of everything.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:43 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
My gut reaction is NYC. However, once I'm reminded of Chicago's crown jewel, The Lakefront(it deserves the reverence of capital letters) Chicago wins hands-down. After all, Chicago has everything NYC has, NYC simply has more of everything.
I agree, the lakefront has some really nice parks - and more importantly provides great views of the skyline. As I said recently on some other thread I think Chicago might also have the nicer skyline.

However no major city in this country has everything that another major city does! Each city has its own history, culture, development and unique way of doing things that makes it a bit different.

For instance New York has a few landmarks that Chicago does not. New York has the Brooklyn Bridge, The Verranzo, the George Washington Bridge and 5 other major bridges. The United Nations, The Statue of Liberty, a National Park, Coney Island, a WW2 aircraft carrier lol, a historic seaport, old forts, a National wildlife refugee, hundreds of colonial and early American buildings, etc.

Surely Chicago has its own unique landmarks - how can we say the two cities have everything the same!

I love both cities and I believe they are similar but I am also glad that they are very unique.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:17 PM

25 posts, read 25,153 times
New York blows Chicago's puny little skyline out of the water. In my opinion i kinda think Chicago is overrated, i mean what else is there to do there but look at buildings...boring, at least New York has millions to do.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:44 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,685,519 times
Chicago I Love their Skyline and Architecture ,But i would love to live in a tall building in NY which would be pretty cool.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:57 AM

633 posts, read 1,442,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloping Isotopes View Post
New York blows Chicago's puny little skyline out of the water. In my opinion i kinda think Chicago is overrated, i mean what else is there to do there but look at buildings...boring, at least New York has millions to do.
Yeah, Chicago has nothing to do. I'll think about that the next time I'm watching a play that premiers in Chicago instead of Broadway. That's right, while your theater district is cancelling shows, ours is getting shows before they ever get to you. No offense, but you might want to visit the city you're bashing before you bach it. Take warning though, Chicago is addictive to East Coasters. I have seen it happen numerous times.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:17 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Apparently, the English classes they offer in NYC are bloody awful.
thats generalizing

Old 01-18-2009, 06:18 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloping Isotopes View Post
Can you be more specific, please? Can you list some things one can do in NYC for which Chicago has no counterpart?

I'm just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City