Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, which city is the greatest?
Chicago 168 40.58%
New York City 246 59.42%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:09 AM

467 posts, read 869,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
It's not my opinion - I should have posted a link. You'll find the information at GaWC - Inventory of World Cities. You'd probably enjoy life more if you could muster up some positivity - go ahead - try it.
Right GaWC together with Chicago Council on Global Affairs.
That explains it

What are YOUR examples of Chicago being a global city?
Any globally significant institutions? Events?

Old 01-30-2009, 10:49 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,896,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
That explains it

I'll take that as a compliment that you think my examples would be significant compared to the many and varied expert sources mentioned on the above mentioned link. I don't give myself that much credit - their findings are of much greater significance than your opinion and my opinion. Anyway, I don't see much point in continuing this - I think New York is better in some aspects, and Chicago is better in some as well. That's my opinion - it just differs from your opinion. Have a nice day.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:37 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,010,675 times
Top global cities

We're # 1, We're # 1 2008 Global Cities rankings - SkyscraperCity

Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,257,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Do you realize that for the past few days you've been working non-stop posting long posts about...your OPINON on Chicago...and desperately lashing out as if it's fantastic hard facts through which you're trying to save humanity by opening everyone's eyes to your ultra-brilliant New York mind?

I know you have all these opinions and ideas about Chicago. We all know, we get the picture every 3 minutes when you say the same blunt scathing remarks about anything Chicago.

You need to realize that 99% of the people reading these statements over and over and over again just DON'T CARE. We all live here for a reason. I love Chicago to death. I've been to New York more times than I could count, and I do love New York. Does it have its issues that could be better? Of course. Does Chicago? Of course.

Your statements are so one-sided towards New York, and so one sided against Chicago in every stretch of the imagination that it makes most of what you say moot. It's just your opinion, and that's really all it is....

I'm sorry that I value my opinions and experience in Chicago more than what you're trying to portray...but that's life.

You need to just stop. You're wasting your life here complaining to the point that your mind refuses to let you live a life in Chicago. Just wipe everything clean in your mind. You hate Chicago media? Too bad, just learn to live with it or move, because you know what? No matter what you do none of it is changing.
There's a saying "They don't boo if you're bad." Referring to athletes going to rivals towns and usually the best get booed. They wouldn't keep bringing this up if it didn't bother him

Old 01-31-2009, 10:17 AM

300 posts, read 1,011,802 times
Chicago, New Yorkers are odd :O
The accent sounds like russian tlkin english

Old 01-31-2009, 10:20 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,839,302 times
^^What???? I've never heard of such a thing from anyone.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:06 PM

9,098 posts, read 13,113,729 times
I can understand why someone from Finland might not like Russia. But its a totally different thing to say that a NY accent is like a Russian accent!

As George Bush might say, "its a misexaggeration".

Old 01-31-2009, 02:49 PM

5 posts, read 39,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post

Wow, Chicago is behind Hong Kong and Singapore? How did this happen?

Old 01-31-2009, 06:57 PM

756 posts, read 1,874,664 times
Comparing Chicago to NYC is like comparing a pontiac to a Jaguar.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:39 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,731,480 times
Seriously, how old are you?

You have a reading assignment. Read first.

New York, Chicago, Los Angeles (http://www.upress.umn.edu/books/a/abulughod_ny.html - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
That explains it

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City