Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, which city is the greatest?
Chicago 168 40.58%
New York City 246 59.42%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,771,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawksfan102
All I'm trying to say is that chicago is more affordable than its 2 biggest rivals (ny and La). I live in a Town called Lake Bluff which is equal to the huntingon beach in long island, and it would cost me way more to buy a home in Huntington beach than in Lake bluff (which doesnt have Any graffitti.) And do not tell me about chicagos bad side when you guys are stuck with harlem and brooklyn. At least in chicago we dont have griffitti sticking everywhere unlike in new york where its everywhere including in long island.
LOL.

So you're telling me Huntington, NY, one of the wealthier communities in the United States is a graffiti ridden cesspool? LOL!!!

Huntington, NY:
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/9293/dscn0518op800x600vz4.jpg (broken link)

Yea, what a graffiti-ridden dump.

New York is the symbol of success and power. New York is the city of dreams which draws the most ambitious people from all around the world who would gladly trade high rents for the hopes of great success in New York. Not to mention NY is the capital of arts, fashion, culinary, nightlife and so fourth which which all make it a very desirability city. In economics, this is what we call supply and demand. If NY was as horrid as you claim it is, nobody would live there and rents would be as low as Chicago. NY is expensive for a reason. NY is extremely popular for a reason. NY is winning this poll for a reason. Get over it!!

Comments removed by moderator for personal attacks. No more warnings. Cool it, folks.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And unless New Jersey has malls that carry Ermenegildo Zegna, Burberry, Cartier, Chanel, Allen Edmonds, Armani, Bottega Veneta, Brooks Brothers, Bulgari, Cole Haan, Custo Barcelona, Dolce & Gabbana, Escada, George Jensen, Gianni Versace, Hermes, Kate Spade, L'Occitane, Marciano, Mont Blanc, Palazzo, Prada, Rolex, Salvatore Ferragamo, Tourneau, etc, etc, etc...
Um, stevie, malls in New Jersey like Garden State Plaza and Short Hills Mall have all of those stores.

Nice try though.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:28 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Well, that's NJ. I know where I lived on Long Island the malls have many high-end stores. Not many places in the country will you have a Sak's and Bloomingdale's right beside one another. Last week I had sushi in Sak's and then walked to Bloomingdale's to look at makeup for my wedding. Can't do that in many places And that's Long Island, not even the city. Actually, it was in Huntington, where this person said there's graffiti lol.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawksfan102 View Post
hey dementor , unlike you, we in chicago are not working our buts off all day and night just to make mortgage and say we live in nyc, we actually have a life. Im just trying to say how much more you get in chicago for your money, but dont worry you're not the only one. There are more stupid people in ny besides you. And dont even tlk about malls.

Watertower place
Woodfield
Hawthorn
Old orchard

All of those malls are much better than the ones in new york city, and people when they go to shop at the magnificent Mile, they dont have to walk through garbage filled streets like they do in ny.
LOL @ "garbage filled streets." You crack me up!!! Magnificent Mile is just the equivalent of a New Jersey mall.

Yea, 5th Avenue, the wealthiest residential/shopping street in the WORLD is a "garbage filled street"!

Fifth Avenue Still World's Most Expensive Shopping Street

I can't believe I am discussing shopping with someone who thinks MALLS are the height of shopping. MALLS!! Soo stereotypical!! You belong in Illinois!

You would be laughed out of NY, Paris and London with that nonsense!!!

Old 02-07-2009, 12:09 PM

40 posts, read 96,572 times
ok, you guys have your opinons and i have mine. I just think chicago is better. All you guys have probably lived in ny all your lives and maybe thats why you guys probably like it, i have lived in chicago all my life and thats why i like it.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
MODERATOR REMOVED: No personal attacks.

What kind of idiot would go to chicago and only visit the south side. its eurous1 of course. Have you even been to lake county or chicago's north shore? Even michigan Ave? if not then just shut up. eurous 1, the whole chicago is not made up of just the south side. And i read a recent article that nyc's people are fleeing nyc because of the costs to live there.
Facing Crunch, NYC's Middle Class Flees

Exorbitant Living Costs Have Put Life In The Big Apple Out Of Reach For Many

Facing Crunch, NYC's Middle Class Flees, Exorbitant Living Costs Have Put Life In The Big Apple Out Of Reach For Many - CBS News

And I never said that huntington beach is ridden with griffitti, i said some parts of long island were.
I have no idea what this has to do with the subject, but while we're at it, here is an even more alarming trend:

So try again.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
ok, you guys have your opinons and i have mine. I just think chicago is better. All you guys have probably lived in ny all your lives and maybe thats why you guys probably like it, i have lived in chicago all my life and thats why i like it.
No no no, I don't even live in New York, I just know that NY is a far better city.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:35 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,286,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Like someone in this forum already suggested, why don't you pick a fight with Milwaukee or St. Louis and stop pretending you are in the same league as New York? OK?
Maybe you should actually you should actually post here for more than a day before you go make "points" and bashing people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Is that the famous Chicago art of discussion: calling people idiots and demanding they shut up because they do not agree with your opinion or even worse present a data not supporting your point?
You are being very hypocritical with that statement.

And It was predicted that Chicago would lose over 100,000 people for the 2000 census but they gained that much.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:40 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,006 times
Quote:
You may have your opinion but the data shows Chicago is shrinking and New York is growing even though it seems physically impossible. Opinions are opinions and polls are polls but the most important is where people chose to live and looking at 10M strong five boroughs and 20M metro area, which happen to be a host to thousands of prominent media, business and art people you know the choise is clear. As in the beginning of Letterman's show: " Live front New York, the greatest city in the world!"

Old 02-07-2009, 02:43 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post

Originally Posted by dementor
Is that the famous Chicago art of discussion: calling people idiots and demanding they shut up because they do not agree with your opinion or even worse present a data not supporting your point?

You are being very hypocritical with that statement.

"Hypocritical" would imply that I do the same thing I am complaining about. Do I?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City