U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall, which city is the greatest?
Chicago 168 40.58%
New York City 246 59.42%
Voters: 414. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:44 PM

731 posts, read 1,771,141 times

Advertisements

New York is bigger, but that doesn't mean it's better. Better is going to be totally subjective, anyway.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:46 PM

0 posts, read 1,272,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
New York is bigger, but that doesn't mean it's better. Better is going to be totally subjective, anyway.
There are no opinions when it comes to this matter.

NYC is in a different league as Chicago regardless of size.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
There are no opinions when it comes to this matter.

No?

I wonder why Chicago won City of the Year, then?

Old 02-22-2009, 02:51 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,904,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
Um, OK?

Forbes named Chicago one of the most miserable cities in the United States of 2008, right?

We can all find different lists that appease our views, but that won't make up for the fact that Chicago will never be on the same level as NYC.
Easy to ignore what you don't like. Let's just focus on the negative, right?
One other thing, I never said Chicago was New York's size - it never will be, hopefully. Also, some people might prefer Chicago to New York - that's their prerogative, isn't it? Because you don't like it as much (obviously), others can't?

Old 02-22-2009, 02:56 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,790,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post

No?

I wonder why Chicago won City of the Year, then?
well they can't give it to the same city every year...this isn't any evidence of being better than nyc though lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Easy to ignore what you don't like. Let's just focus on the negative, right?
One other thing, I never said Chicago was New York's size - it never will be, hopefully. Also, some people might prefer Chicago to New York - that's their prerogative, isn't it? Because you don't like it as much (obviously), others can't?
Don't take it so personally... it is not that other people do not think Chicago is a great city in its own right, it just isn't NYC.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,904,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
well they can't give it to the same city every year...this isn't any evidence of being better than nyc though lol...

Don't take it so personally... it is not that other people do not think Chicago is a great city in its own right, it just isn't NYC.
Did I say it was? It's not personal, I just think it's kind of funny.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,412,560 times
You're better than the two trolls from the little town in NY. I welcome and respect your viewpoints even though I may not agree with them.

Btw, while I acknowledge that NYC has the upper hand in many aspects compared to most U.S cities,there's one important category that NY still trailing behind other major U.S cities, and it's called "QUALITY OF LIFE" . According to the recent study/survey by Mercer consulting group, U.S cities like Honolulu, San Francisco, D.C, Chicago, Boston all have better quality of life than New York.

City Mayors: Best cities in the world (Mercer)

Quote:
Being a former Chicago resident it is probably the best city representing most American cities and has plenty of jobs for most industries, NYC is in a league of its own on a global scale along with London Paris and Tokyo...

Sorry but NYC has better EVERYTHING than anywhere in the U.S. and arguably the world. The only arena it isn't #1 in in the U.S. is politics (DC by default gets the nod) and it is a #1 there for international politics because UN headquarters is there along with consulates just like DC has embassies.

It is better and has more to offer in finance, economics, arts, international affairs, politics, culture, milder weather, better food, better cities around it (big factor for some)

The only real questions are
a) is this a price you are willing to pay for? (you get what you pay for)
b) is this the type of lifestyle you want to live? (some people just not interested in this, mormons, bible belt, family oriented, saving for retirement etc...)

Chicago is at the forefront of cities (within america) of cities like Boston, SF, Seattle, Houston, Philly, DC.

NY is not competing with any of these, it is competing in a category of best city on the planet.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:07 PM

188 posts, read 425,528 times
Again as everyone has mentioned these are all opinions. Now granted the NYC fanboys seem to dis chicago like its their part time job but that doesnt mean anything. Overall these are two different/similar cities that are crucial to the americas survival. They both have their positives and negatives. Personally i would prefer chicago, smaller but you have a big city feel

Old 02-22-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Ummm...again, are you sure you know what 'better' means? Some people really aren't going to like the fact that New York has 8 million people with 18 mil in the metro. I mean, I lived in Seoul, a city of 10 million with a metro of 24, with more amenities and a more international flavor than Chicago and I still liked Chicago better.

If seems like some people here are getting their feelings hurt by the FACT that many people prefer Chicago to New York. So much so that they have to insist that it's not even a subjective opinion type of thing. Those people really, really need to untie their personal ego from the municipality in which they grew up. It's almost freaky.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:32 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,412,560 times
GQ also named Chicago "City Of The Year".

GQ Names Chicago 'City Of The Year'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Fast Company Magazine (based in NYC) chose Chicago as City Of The Year for 2008. Interesting reading, if you so choose.

U.S. City of the Year: Chicago | Fast Company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or