Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:10 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

For Las Vegas, you can drive 95 miles to Death Valley, beyond that you can continue your drive to the Eastern Sierra's/Mammoth Lakes. To the Northeast it's a couple hours drive to Zion Nat'l Park, and beyond that to choice areas of Southern Utah. For total isolation, drive north to central Nevada. To the east lies northern Arizona. 300 miles to the south, you're at the Mexican border. 279 miles to the southeast is the L.A. area.

And then 35 miles to the NE lies Kyle Canyon, where you can hike up to Mt. Charleston and get an eye-popping view of the eastern Sierra's to the west, Mexico to the south and Utah and ARizona in another direction. 100 degress in summer in the Las Vegas valley, take a coat along with you to climb up into the Spring mountains to the west of the city.

And nicest of all, anytime of the year, you won't need to take bug repellant along with you. Mosquito's starve too quickly here in the desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 10:18 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Default Cincinnati

Don't forget about Cincinnati. There are many parks within the city that are large, expansive and offer a break from city life; some that come to mind are Ault Park, Eden Park, Alms Park, Mt. Echo Park, and Mt. Airy Forest, as well as Devou Park just across the river in Covington, KY.

Take the Constance Ferry from River Road in Cincinnati across the river to Constance, KY. Travel west along Route 8 in Boone County...nothing! Or, even east along Route 8 until you get to Bromley...nothing! Or, get past the river towns of Kentucky and take Route 8 out of Dayton, KY; there is literally no development from Dayton, just across the river from Downtown Cincinnati, to Maysville, KY, which is 65 miles away. Don't forget about US 52 (Kellogg Avenue); once you leave Downtown Cincy, there are little pockets of development along the river, but in general it feels "down home."

You can see the Ohio Appalachians from Cincinnati's far eastern suburbs and take Route 32 through Southern Ohio. Route 27 to Oxford, Ohio, home of Miami University, is a relaxing drive, and Oxford is one of the most charming small towns anywhere. I-75 takes you to Kentucky's horse farm country and, ultimately, Red River Gorge, Natural Bridge and Lake Cumberland.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:28 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I will differ with you. I consider myself bicoastal having lived in NY and LA For equal amounts of time. I really enjoy both NY and CA and if I had to pick a favorite place to be, it would be a difficult choice.

I used to frequent the deserts and mountains in California. Even when you think you are away from it all, you will inevitably meet some one. Even backroading on a remote trail in Joshua Tree, we ran into a bunch of lowlifes drinking beer and doing hard drugs. In the San Gorgonio wilderness we crossed paths with a LA street gang members (who believe it or not were very polite) and had a beer with them. Very surreal. I would say that you have to travel at least 100 miles from LA to "get away from it all"

I can easily vanish into Rockland, Dutchess, Putnam or Orange Counties (NY) and never see anyone for miles.
LOL...I see what you're talking about , but I said that you can leave
LA and " not see (too) many people " I never really wanted to get away
to the degree that I didn't see another human being (That's) a bit too
much for me.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:46 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
Miami, one of those places where you can be in the middle of the city one minute than drive over a bridge and your laying comfortably under an umbrella on the beach the next.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 PM

245 posts, read 215,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
What I hated most about Chicago when I moved there from Boston was there was basically nowhere to go if I wanted to get out of the city. I felt totally trapped.
You are not the only one. There is very little around Chicago and once you do the usuall: Lake Geneva, Michigan Dunes, Wisconsin Dells there is not much left, especially once you realize that Milwaukee, Indianapolis or St. Louis don't offer much excitment or entertainment. What is really irritating is when Chicagoans try to claim otherwise...

Anyways, one of the greatest things about New York is being located in a historic and picturesque Bosh-Wash corridor: from Philly to old towns in New Jersey, Connecticut, Long Island and upstate New York, from Long Island and Jersey beaches, Delaware River Water Gap to mountains of Catskills and Poconos. There is a plethora of interesting and original places all within 2 hours from the city.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:44 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
I like Austin in that respect, I can't do that in my other two home cities; Chicago and Houston... especially Houston. =(

Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
Austin and San Antonio you can go out to the Hill Country like to Fredericksburg or Kerville

Old 05-03-2010, 10:03 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Austin and San Antonio you can go out to the Hill Country like to Fredericksburg or Kerville
Even San Marcos. And it doesn't even take much of a drive.

Houston is massive just getting out of the metro area takes an hour from downtown to any of the four ends of Houston... well besides the South end, that ends with the metro (Galveston).

Old 05-03-2010, 10:04 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carverR View Post
You are not the only one. There is very little around Chicago and once you do the usuall: Lake Geneva, Michigan Dunes, Wisconsin Dells there is not much left, especially once you realize that Milwaukee, Indianapolis or St. Louis don't offer much excitment or entertainment. What is really irritating is when Chicagoans try to claim otherwise...

Anyways, one of the greatest things about New York is being located in a historic and picturesque Bosh-Wash corridor: from Philly to old towns in New Jersey, Connecticut, Long Island and upstate New York, from Long Island and Jersey beaches, Delaware River Water Gap to mountains of Catskills and Poconos. There is a plethora of interesting and original places all within 2 hours from the city.

People from Chicago and other midwest cities like Milwaukee, Detroit, Indianapolis get away by going to northern Wisconsin and Michigan. There is lots to do in those places, and the people in this part of the nation are usually pretty happy with it. Alot of families even own cabins there and drive a couple hours up to them on weekends. Im sure it would be hard to understand why people here enjoy those places if you are from the east, since you likely expect the kind of urban ammenities that you are used too in NYC.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:07 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Even San Marcos. And it doesn't even take much of a drive.

Houston is massive just getting out of the metro area takes an hour from downtown to any of the four ends of Houston... well besides the South end, that ends with the metro (Galveston).

Yeah I forgot San Marcos also New Braunfels and Boerne your also 2 hours from Corpus in SA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City