Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 03:01 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,869,496 times

Advertisements

What kind of movie theaters does you city have and how do you like them?

I was going to post this in just the DC or Baltimore forum, but I thought I would try to get a feel for what cities across the country have when it comes to theaters. We relocated from KC to the Baltimore DC area and one thing I have noticed is people in KC really have a nice selection of theaters from Megaplexes with IMAX screens to full service dining theaters to historic single screen venues. Most are stadium seating, digital, offer 3-D, large format etc. It helps that AMC and Dickinson is headquartered in KC and both have large modern megaplexes blanketing the area.

I have noticed that nice, modern theaters in the DC area are harder t find. We saw a movie in St Louis a few months ago and even though the theater was one of the more popular theaters in metro St Louis, it reminded me of the kinds of theater complexes KC used to have in the 80's.

I did a little research and this is a quick list of some of KC's more popular theaters:

AMC Barrywoods 24 with (Stadium, Digital 3-D and IMAX)
AMC Independence Commons 20 with (Stadium, Digital 3-D and IMAX)
AMC Studio 30 Olathe with (Stadium, Digital 3-D and IMAX, Cinema Suites)
AMC Town Center 20 (Stadium, Digita 3-Dl)
AMC Ward Parkway 22 (Stadium, Digital 3-D)
Cinemark 20 Country Club Plaza (Stadium, Digital)
Cinemark 20 Merriam (Stadium, Digital)
Dickinson Eastglen 16 digital (Stadium, Balcony, Digital 3-D)
Dickinson Westglen 18 digital (Stadium, Balcony, Digital 3-D)
Dickinson Northglen 14 digital (Stadium, Balcony, Digital 3-D)
Dickinson Palazzo 16 digital (Stadium, Balcony, Digital 3-D)
Dickinson Great Mall 16 digital (Stadium, Balcony, Digital 3-D)
Regal Kansas City 18 (Stadium, Digital)
Phoenix Theaters Legends 14 (Stadium, Digital 3-D)
Studio Movie Grill Zona Rosa (Stadium, Balcony, Digital 3-D, Cinema Suites)
AMC Downtown Main Street (Stadium, Digital, Cinema Suites) (my personal favorite)
http://www.amcentertainment.com/domestic/mainstreet/images/rendering_cinemasuites.jpg (broken link)

Like I said, there are quite a few more smaller complexes and single screen theaters (art films and mainstream)

Can somebody that obviously has way too much time (like myself) break down the Baltimore/DC area theaters?

What about other metro areas across the country? How does your theater scene look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 03:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
What kind of movie theaters does you city have and how do you like them?

I was going to post this in just the DC or Baltimore forum, but I thought I would try to get a feel for what cities across the country have when it comes to theaters. We relocated from KC to the Baltimore DC area and one thing I have noticed is people in KC really have a nice selection of theaters from Megaplexes with IMAX screens to full service dining theaters to historic single screen venues. Most are stadium seating, digital, offer 3-D, large format etc. It helps that AMC and Dickinson is headquartered in KC and both have large modern megaplexes blanketing the area.

I have noticed that nice, modern theaters in the DC area are harder t find. We saw a movie in St Louis a few months ago and even though the theater was one of the more popular theaters in metro St Louis, it reminded me of the kinds of theater complexes KC used to have in the 80's.

I did a little research and this is a quick list of some of KC's more popular theaters:

AMC Barrywoods 24 with (Stadium, Digital 3-D and IMAX)
AMC Independence Commons 20 with (Stadium, Digital 3-D and IMAX)
AMC Studio 30 Olathe with (Stadium, Digital 3-D and IMAX, Cinema Suites)
AMC Town Center 20 (Stadium, Digita 3-Dl)
AMC Ward Parkway 22 (Stadium, Digital 3-D)
Cinemark 20 Country Club Plaza (Stadium, Digital)
Cinemark 20 Merriam (Stadium, Digital)
Dickinson Eastglen 16 digital (Stadium, Balcony, Digital 3-D)
Dickinson Westglen 18 digital (Stadium, Balcony, Digital 3-D)
Dickinson Northglen 14 digital (Stadium, Balcony, Digital 3-D)
Dickinson Palazzo 16 digital (Stadium, Balcony, Digital 3-D)
Dickinson Great Mall 16 digital (Stadium, Balcony, Digital 3-D)
Regal Kansas City 18 (Stadium, Digital)
Phoenix Theaters Legends 14 (Stadium, Digital 3-D)
Studio Movie Grill Zona Rosa (Stadium, Balcony, Digital 3-D, Cinema Suites)
AMC Downtown Main Street (Stadium, Digital, Cinema Suites) (my personal favorite)

Like I said, there are quite a few more smaller complexes and single screen theaters (art films and mainstream)

Can somebody that obviously has way too much time (like myself) break down the Baltimore/DC area theaters?

What about other metro areas across the country? How does your theater scene look?
Pretty much everything you list. AMC is too big, crowded, dirty, and expensive. I refuse to pay $9.50 again; especially after my last experience at AMC.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:41 PM

41 posts, read 58,384 times
There is an old as dirt movie theatre in Milwaukee called The Oriental. It is consistently rated one of the top 10 in America. The decor will transport you back to the 1920s. Its slightly run down, but for the most part kept in great shape and hold the Guiness Record for a current and continuing film engagement (Rocky Horror) the coolest thing is that before each movie, a man plays the pipe organ while people file in. There are buddahs and elephants everywhere with glowing red eyes. Just a cool place! here's the link about it
...Oriental Theatre

Old 11-21-2009, 12:32 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,822,034 times
I'm 20. I'm sure 90% of people my age have never been to a working one, but we have a drive-in here. It's $5 for both movies. And it's open May-September, when it's warm. I enjoy the Drive-In a lot. You can sit in your car, on lawn chairs, on a blanket if you want to. Some people back up their truck and sit in the back of it and watch the movie. It's a lot of fun. And food and drinks seem cheaper at the Drive-In.

As far as theaters, I don't go to many. But it's like $8 for a ticket (for one movie), plus popcorn and soda. I enjoy the theater occasionally. It's too expensive to go every day.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:39 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
The matinee at Loews Metreon in SF is over $10. That is so expensive. I remember when matinees were $5. LOL

Old 11-21-2009, 07:21 AM

321 posts, read 720,357 times
The Brattle in Harvard sq and the Coolidge Corner are the two best theaters in Ma, and would prob. be in the running for coolest in the USA. Coolidge is Art Deco and has awesome festivals and video screenings, as well as a good mix of mainstream and foreign/independent films.

Brattle is a non-profit, and shows a different movie every night- each are part of seasonal series they run on different movements, directors, themes, etc.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:25 AM

370 posts, read 1,009,809 times
Igor and sven, we have a similar one here built in 1928 called The Byrd.

$2 second run movies and a Wurlitzer organ player too. It plays host to The French Film Festival in the Spring and some other events. Glad to see other cities keeping up their beautiful old theaters.

Richmond just opened a 1st run theater in an old locomotive manufacturing facility as well. Digital 3D and 17 theaters. Boulevard Square in Richmond, VA, a Bow Tie Partners Property

Everything else is pretty much your standard mall cineplex in the suburbs

Old 11-21-2009, 08:02 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,924,903 times
My parents sometimes took me to this historic movie theatre in midtown Manhattan as a kid. I remember I couldn't see at all since the seats weren't stadium seating, lol. It was a really pretty theatre, but I could never see the movie.

I always go to Loews. I really like those movie theatres, except it's like 10.50 to get in.

When I went to school in Portland, Maine, there was this movie theatre chain in the area that served dinner during the movie. The seats were so comfortable and the food was pretty good. The name slips my mind, I think it started with an S. I wish we had something like this in NY. We probably do somewhere and I don't know of it. Any NYers know if we do???

Old 11-22-2009, 11:42 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,860,995 times
In Dayton, we have an Indie movie theatre called the Neon. It is really nice and has two screens.

As for other theaters, you have to drive to the 'burbs to watch big production movies like Transformers, Harry Potter, etc.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,136,635 times
Tucson has the usual Century (and Cinemark XD), Grand, Harkins, AMC, Trans-lux, Tower Theatres (locally owned)...and these gems:

The Screening Room (http://www.azmac.org/scroom/index.html - broken link)

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/kaneui/ScreeningRoom-marquee.jpg (broken link)

- Fox Tucson Theatre -

Welcome to The Loft Cinema | The Loft Cinema

Historic Theatre - mostly concerts now: The Historic Rialto Theatre - Tucson AZ

Last edited by AZLiam; 11-22-2009 at 03:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City