Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline looks better?
Dallas 218 33.44%
San Francisco 434 66.56%
Voters: 652. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 05:29 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Well, that's totally wrong. Let's not talk about sprawl because California is the king of sprawl.
It doesn't really make a difference if Dallas is full of sprawl or not. But when a city has a downtown skyline, and practically NOTHING urban surrounding it it really takes away from the view. By just the buildings, Dallas has a beautiful skyline. But seeing and knowing that there is no urban life surrounding the core really takes away from my thoughts on it.

Also, I also feel this way because Dallas is such a big city. It's disheartening to know how big the city is and see how lifeless the skyline is.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:43 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
It doesn't really make a difference if Dallas is full of sprawl or not. But when a city has a downtown skyline, and practically NOTHING urban surrounding it it really takes away from the view. By just the buildings, Dallas has a beautiful skyline. But seeing and knowing that there is no urban life surrounding the core really takes away from my thoughts on it.

Also, I also feel this way because Dallas is such a big city. It's disheartening to know how big the city is and see how lifeless the skyline is.
Uptown is north of Downtown. That area is very urban and home to many dense developments.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:52 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:

Projects like the Trinity River South of Downtown & park deck over the Woodall Rogers Freeway eventually connecting Downtown to Uptown will help out with Dallas' quest for urbanity.

Downtown may be dead, but Uptown right next door is thriving & bursting at the seams with urban developments.

DART's light rail while not the busiest is by far the largest in the South. Once connected to D/FW's massive airport will be the final piece of the puzzle.

Dallas does have some fairly dense urban neighborhoods given its a Sunbelt city.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:26 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:

*Mind is completely distant from that entire post*

Maybe I could give you "lifeless" (that's a first) because there are some skyscrapers in Dallas that are more empty than full, but you're not too up to date with the way the skyline is now, are you?

Old 01-08-2012, 06:35 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,345,000 times
Quote:
Well, I guess I assume that people are humans and can tell the difference between corporate, plastic boxes and a real place...
A building is a building.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
A building is a building.
Yes, but the way in which they're built matters...

Old 01-08-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Uptown is north of Downtown. That area is very urban and home to many dense developments.
Yes, but (please correct me if I'm wrong) according to wikipedia it only has 6,000 residents. So only 1 tenth of 1 percent of Dallas's metro population lives in this "urban" area.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:48 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Well, I guess I assume that people are humans and can tell the difference between corporate, plastic boxes and a real place...
Yes, because as everyone knows it, Dallas is just a fantasy land, adjacent to the land of Narnia.

You're arrogantly trying to project your own opinions onto others. Now, some may be stupid enough to fall for it, but I'm not.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Why would you trust Wikipedia? 20,000 people live in Uptown.

Uptown Dallas
I'll admit this picture does help change my opinion of Dallas a little bit. However, it still doesn't have that wow factor that SF has. That feeling that that city is supposed to be there and that its truly a great place.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Yes, because as everyone knows it, Dallas is just a fantasy land, adjacent to the land of Narnia.

You're arrogantly trying to project your own opinions onto others. Now, some may be stupid enough to fall for it, but I'm not.
At the same time, I think you actually know what I'm talking about when referring to a real place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City