Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which one
bay area 54 52.43%
chicagoland 49 47.57%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:35 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times

Advertisements

Division titles don't count, second place only counts when playing horse shoes. Like I said glory days are gone, get over it. Bay area teams don't win anymore because the franchises wont spend money. Franchises wont spend money because bay area residents wont spend money. Not that I blame them.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:40 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Division titles don't count, second place only counts when playing horse shoes. Like I said glory days are gone, get over it. Bay area teams don't win anymore because the franchises wont spend money. Franchises wont spend money because bay area residents wont spend money. Not that I blame them.
Chicago's glory days are long gone too my friend...

Old 11-30-2009, 12:54 PM

And on that note, as I look at my 2005 ring, I will end with you. Once you show the bay area offers something like say affordable housing, stable middle class areas, places with low unemployment (even marin is at like 8% now, right?), an urban setting with good neighborhood schools (K-12) and low crime maybe we can talk.

Not to hard to figure out why chicago is a metro pushing 10 million and the bay area, with all its wealth *isnt*(even with places it claims are exurbs that sit 60-70miles away, and 5-15 miles from the nearest town ie tracy, modesto, los banos, vacaville, manteca, discovery bay, etc.)

No one is fooled. The only people who are attracted to the bay are people from out east or abroad who want to pump money into silicon valley and the immigrants from the third world who serve them or homeless people. The rest are folks who are stuck because they are poor (Oakland people). Go to ANY california board and ask them "If you could go back in time and cash out at the peak of the realestate boom would you?," I PROMISE the majority will say yes. For everyone else who is part of that 75% that makes up the middle class, the bay area is not a place to own a home. I could not imagine making a six figure salary and not being able to own a home in decent city. People in NYC metro can own homes on long island, greater new york, jersey, and connecticut on that salary. But not in California. That sounds pretty unamerican to me. Most of mexico is like that, haves and have nots just like California. LoL even the drinking water stinks in California, ask anyone from the central valley or folks who the water tastes like the concrete canals that bring it from the sierras. A pity, really, that a place in America could fall from grace so. Used to be only the border towns were that bad.

Last edited by LakeShoreSoxGo; 11-30-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 11-30-2009, 01:09 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Vacaville and Discovery Bay are parts of the Bay Area, as they lie in Solano and Contra Costa counties. The Bay Area is also set to add millions of people in coming decades as surrounding metros are inevitably added (Stockton, Modesto, Salinas, and eventually, Sacramento).

Old 11-30-2009, 01:17 PM

LOL@ all those cities(Salinas.... are you kidding?) you listed. They are all surrounded by farmland. I think it is funny how the bay area likes to pretend they have an inland empire, like LA. Not even close. Possible in 100 years, maybe. Just look at those cities on google earth, theres nothing there. The only thing significant about those cities is thats pretty much how far the middle class has been pushed out of the bay area, as in pushed out of the bay area all together and into the barren agricultural terminous that is the central valley. Chicago would be similar if its middle class got pushed to milwaukee or half way to Iowa. I mean you gotta feel bad for a place that can't even give its residents decent tap water, lol man that is third world. I remember the Garbage strike the east bay area had too.. LOL. Talk about giving a literal meaning to the word "trashy".

Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
LOL@ all those cities(Salinas.... are you kidding?) you listed. They are all surrounded by farmland. I think it is funny how the bay area likes to pretend they have an inland empire. Not even close. Possible in 100 years, maybe. Just look at those cities on google earth, theres nothing there. The only thing significant about those cities is thats pretty much how far the middle class has been pushed out of the bay area, as in pushed out of the bay area all together and into the barren agricultural terminous that is the central valley.
The existence of farmland is inconsequential. What determines a metro are commuting pattens.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:32 PM

Rofl. Sure what ever you say. Fine include those cities. They tend to make the bay area look worse. Hence why most people like to say the bay stops east of 680 and at morgan hill. We start including the exurbs and the bay area gets even more ugly. Tract homes, dusty lots, forclosures, mexican gangs, section 8ers, 1 hour and 30 minute + one way commutes with little if any public transit, mediocore schools even by california standards (California ranks 46 out 50 in k-12 education with one of the highest drop out rates inthe country). Yea...id venture to say you don't want to include those as the bay area. Those places are miserable.

Atleast in the far flung chicago burbs you can catch a train either way on the line and get a house for cheap with real square footage. Less gangs, renters, section 8ers, specuhouse flippers and the like. LoL even our undersirable exurbs trump the bay areas exurbs (it would not be fair for us to pit our desirable exurbs against the bays, for you all have none) And no Napa and Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa are not exurbs. So don't bother.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:13 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Wow, pretty much everyone here since page 11 has done a ridiculous amount of trolling.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:54 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
LOL@ all those cities(Salinas.... are you kidding?) you listed. They are all surrounded by farmland. I think it is funny how the bay area likes to pretend they have an inland empire, like LA. Not even close. Possible in 100 years, maybe. Just look at those cities on google earth, theres nothing there. The only thing significant about those cities is thats pretty much how far the middle class has been pushed out of the bay area, as in pushed out of the bay area all together and into the barren agricultural terminous that is the central valley. Chicago would be similar if its middle class got pushed to milwaukee or half way to Iowa. I mean you gotta feel bad for a place that can't even give its residents decent tap water, lol man that is third world. I remember the Garbage strike the east bay area had too.. LOL. Talk about giving a literal meaning to the word "trashy".
Right. Salinas is over 100 miles from San Francisco and 2 counties removed from the Bay Area. Only the counties that actually touch the S.F. Bay should be considered the Bay Area

Old 11-30-2009, 03:00 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
This is borderline-absurd now.

Quote:
Put the pennys away? The places my family socializes at, you would not be able to get into the front door. Just stop already, it really is not worth it to go there. Didn't you claim to go to public schools? What do I know, I just went to the same school(high school that is) as Trump's kid.

(It's in Relevations people!)

With all due respect LakeShore, you're never going to get a good response by lecturing people about how money can't buy class and then say: Do you know where MY parents socialize? You couldn't get in the door. I went to the same school as Trump's kid.

I know this has turned into a heated debate, but keep your composure. It's pretty well documented that the Bay Area is among the wealthiest in the country, if not the wealthiest. You're only making yourself look bad by calling out their lack of class and then proclaim you're rich and were born into a boatload of cash. Seriously, who cares? None of us.

Anyway, I'm going to side with some of the earlier opinions that were given on this thread before it turned into a flamewar:

I personally would prefer the city of Chicago over San Francisco (though not by much because San Francisco is gorgeous too), but the areas surrounding San Francisco is definitely superior to the areas surrounding Chicago.

I'm not going to vote, so I'll just say both are great cities, and would happily live in either.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 11-30-2009 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City