Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 02:53 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,373,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
Wrong. The term Yuppie was used prior to 1984- though I don't doubt it was picked up upon by pundits that year.

Who cares though? The issue is that it's clearly a pejorative- so are we talking actual measurable demographics or are we talking assumed lifestyles?
I would assume the latter....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 09:03 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,490,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
Wrong. The term Yuppie was used prior to 1984- though I don't doubt it was picked up upon by pundits that year.

Who cares though? The issue is that it's clearly a pejorative- so are we talking actual measurable demographics or are we talking assumed lifestyles?
Interesting! When and where did it originate?

Old 12-03-2009, 09:56 PM

79 posts, read 91,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
The evidence is pretty clear cut.

NYC by sheer numbers.
SF by sheer percentages.
Lets call these two tier 1.

LA, Chicago, Boston, San Diego, and DC also have either fairly high numbers or percentages. Lets call these tier 2.

Houston, Dallas, and Phoenix don't make the cut because thier numbers are below a certain threshold based on these figures. Tier 3?

California and New York seem to attract the majority of yuppies in the US, and by a wide margin.

San Francisco/San Jose, yes. Los Angeles and San Diego? No. The "yuppie" figures for Los Angeles seem numbers seem very low (in sheer numbers and percentages) for such a large population. I've never seen LA as a "yuppie" city.

The only yuppie cities are New York/Greenwich, San Francisco/San Jose, Washington DC and Boston.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:28 PM

200 posts, read 810,467 times
I would also say Atlanta

Old 12-04-2009, 12:23 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,490,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat2009 View Post
I would also say Atlanta
But look at the numbers in post #23 above. Atlanta's not even in the running.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:39 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,289,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
But look at the numbers in post #23 above. Atlanta's not even in the running.
I have to admit the numbers just seem.......off.

In reality, on the ground, we are awash in them here, regardless.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:19 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,982,402 times
Atlanta....

NYC, San Fran, DC, etc do not have as many upper middle class yuppies neighborhoods as Atlanta.

Most of the people in those cities are still living in apartments while the yuppies here are living in a brand new 5 bedroom house alone

Old 04-30-2010, 04:24 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,678,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Atlanta....

NYC, San Fran, DC, etc do not have as many upper middle class yuppies neighborhoods as Atlanta.

Most of the people in those cities are still living in apartments while the yuppies here are living in a brand new 5 bedroom house alone

Were you serious or is this sarcasm? Atlanta is no where close to DC, NYC or SF in population or number of neighborhoods - on the 5 bedroom house you may be right - 200K a year doesn afford one on that salary in the other cities for prime locations. And to me that also demonstrates a differance in perspective - In Atlanta (and many other cities) people strive for the burbs; in the other areas like DC, NYC, and SF many are striving for urban and more vibrant lifestyle/habitat where 5 bedroom houses do not exist

Also on the burbs - the DC Burbs have many more affluent areas when compared to the Atlanta - not anything against Atlanta because it more than it's fair share of very nice areas, including more urban ones - but with a post like that I question whether you have actually been to the other places or have spent enough time to understand.

And honestly saying that Atlanta is exceeded by these places by no means Atlanta is not doing well - but the cities you named are unique with high concentrated upper-mid and wealthy enclaves and also just about the three most expensive areas in the country

Old 04-30-2010, 05:36 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,458,941 times
Quote:
Atlanta....

wait, whut?

i love ATL and all but that's a pretty bold statement

my top 3 would be NYC, DC, Boston - they all have a high ratio of LL. Bean, J Crew, button-down knucklehead types

although - there was a high ratio of urban preps in ATL as well...there's a dichotomy

Old 04-30-2010, 07:33 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,982,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Were you serious or is this sarcasm? Atlanta is no where close to DC, NYC or SF in population or number of neighborhoods - on the 5 bedroom house you may be right - 200K a year doesn afford one on that salary in the other cities for prime locations. And to me that also demonstrates a differance in perspective - In Atlanta (and many other cities) people strive for the burbs; in the other areas like DC, NYC, and SF many are striving for urban and more vibrant lifestyle/habitat where 5 bedroom houses do not exist

Also on the burbs - the DC Burbs have many more affluent areas when compared to the Atlanta - not anything against Atlanta because it more than it's fair share of very nice areas, including more urban ones - but with a post like that I question whether you have actually been to the other places or have spent enough time to understand.

And honestly saying that Atlanta is exceeded by these places by no means Atlanta is not doing well - but the cities you named are unique with high concentrated upper-mid and wealthy enclaves and also just about the three most expensive areas in the country

LOL...you are funny

Cascade/Camp Creek area alone has more affluent AA area's than all of DC, NYC, San Fran suburbs combined, not even including Lithonia, South Fulton Parkway, etc. Atlanta has homes from 200k+ over a million dollars and the neighborhoods are all black. No other city has this many neighborhoods. Most of the suburbs in DC are in PG County, The Woodmore and about 10+ other neighborhoods but Atlanta has more affluent neighborhoods on the Southwest side of town and Im not even including the eastside suburbs. NO CITY IN AMERICA IS EVEN CLOSE TO HAVING AS MANY UPSCALE AA NEIGHBORHOODS AS ATLANTA.

Another thing, you can make 80k- 120k in DC or NYC and you will only be able to afford an apartment or a house in the hood. You can make 50k in Atlanta and you can purchase a house.

We have tons of AA neighborhoods EVERYWHERE across town, I mean everywhere. 23 year olds with no kids with their own home, brand new NICE homes at that. Check out the links

156k home
http://www.newhomes.com/houses/homedetail.jsp?regionid=1408&homeid=43154&luxury_h omes=false&siteid=1 (broken link)

160k home
http://www.newhomes.com/houses/homedetail.jsp?regionid=1408&homeid=55849&luxury_h omes=false&siteid=1 (broken link)

http://www.newhomes.com/houses/homedetail.jsp?regionid=1408&homeid=75351&luxury_h omes=false&siteid=1 (broken link)
http://www.newhomes.com/houses/homedetail.jsp?regionid=1408&homeid=75361&luxury_h omes=false&siteid=1 (broken link)
http://www.newhomes.com/houses/homedetail.jsp?regionid=1408&homeid=75359&luxury_h omes=false&siteid=1 (broken link)
http://www.newhomes.com/houses/homedetail.jsp?regionid=1408&homeid=69030&luxury_h omes=false&siteid=1 (broken link)

Come on, these neighborhoods are all over the city. All professional AA. Young professionals over play $800- $1000 per month for the homes above. Come on now

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 04-30-2010 at 07:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City