U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which skyscraper is more unique?
Dallas "Fountain" 35 68.63%
Houston "Williams Tower" 16 31.37%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2009, 05:23 PM

3,269 posts, read 5,427,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by free_food View Post
Dallas beats the hell out of Houston any day.
Houston could beat us if they lit up all or at lest some of the buildings at night!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 05:26 PM

13,475 posts, read 14,969,563 times
I guess. I'll take the power of the Williams Tower over Fountain Place. Williams Tower is my favorite scraper in the state.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,523,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I guess. I'll take the power of the Williams Tower over Fountain Place. Williams Tower is my favorite scraper in the state.
That anyone's favorite tower in the state could be Transco speaks poorly of the skyscraper architecture in Texas, in my opinion.

No offense to you, Spade. I just think it's pretty sad that this building is in fact one of the best Texas has to offer.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:12 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,981,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
That anyone's favorite tower in the state could be Transco speaks poorly of the skyscraper architecture in Texas, in my opinion.

No offense to you, Spade. I just think it's pretty sad that this building is in fact one of the best Texas has to offer.
Actually your probably in the minority of people who dislike the Williams Tower. Texas has very nice architect and just because it's his favorites doesn't mean everyone else has to agree.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Actually your probably in the minority of people who dislike the Williams Tower. Texas has very nice architect and just because it's his favorites doesn't mean everyone else has to agree.
Architecturally speaking, Transco Tower is a very plain building. That is a fact.

Texas cities have decent architecture, but compared to other places, we sorely lack. Which is why I'm looking forward to a new surge of building projects in our cities.

As of now, the Esperson buildings, Gulf Bank building are the true gems of Houston, and the best tall structures in Texas.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:46 PM

4,386 posts, read 11,648,280 times
^ They are very beautiful, although I feel Bank of America Center is a true modern gem also

Old 11-27-2009, 06:58 PM

737 posts, read 686,653 times
Quote:
I have yet to understand what is so fascinating about the Transco/Williams Tower. A lot of people act like it's one of the greatest structures, but the only thing neat about it is how it towers over the rest of Uptown. And visiters coming along the freeway think they're downtown. But as far as art and architecture are concerned, it's a pretty boring building (one of quite a few others in Houston).

Fountain Place is my pick, and is probably also my favorite building in Dallas. It's very sleek and "Chicago-esque". It would look even better if there was more density and height to surround it.

And when is Dallas going to get a supertall?

There is a 57 story condo being planned for down town
Changes to the Dallas Skyline

Old 11-27-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^ They are very beautiful, although I feel Bank of America Center is a true modern gem also
That is a nice building with a pretty sophisticated design. I forget about that one.

Old 11-27-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
There is a 57 story condo being planned for down town
Changes to the Dallas Skyline
Yeah but that's only supposed to be 700 ft. Supertalls are 1000+ ft.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:12 PM

889 posts, read 1,312,706 times
Quote:

You cant really argue about opinions.

Additionally, when the question is about a specific topic like uniqueness then you can argue the choices. In an equal comparison about uniqueness, would you pick Williams Tower as the "representative" for Houston

Also, Williams Tower is, imo, one of the most well-known buildings in Houston, and even Texas for that matter, wether or not that translates to architectural beauty is for ones opinion. But if you dont find it attractive, then maybe you should look into the building...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City