U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Minneapolis 118 36.53%
Seattle 205 63.47%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 12:47 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,033,134 times
Hmm Minneapolis might have more old museums , but Seattle has much more modern Museums. The Museum Of Flight and Space the largest none profit private air and space museum in the world. The Lemay Car Museum largest car Museum in the world. Science Fiction Hall of Fame . The E.M.P museum modern music. Not to mention Seattle Metro is home to some of the worlds top modern glass museums. And three Zoos in the metro area, I would like to see how Minneapolis compares .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 12:52 AM

3,710 posts, read 2,993,112 times
-location Minneapolis just cant compare.
-built environment Minneapolis imo
-transportation options Neither are the best in the USA..idk
-access to nature and associated sports activities haha, Seattle
-skyline / downtown This is somewhat unfair. Seattler for skyline, and I haven't spent much time in downtown minneapolis.
-cultural amenities Seattle.
-metro area as a whole overall, Seattle (But thats just my opinion)

Old 07-09-2011, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
^It's posts like this that scream bias. It's not THAT much better at this or that, but when somebody with a bias screams it can come off as that. Seattle's transportation sucks, overall, except rail, which it's RAPIDLY expanding and is BRAND NEW to the area, for the most part. Location and weather -- which do you prefer: dreary rain and depression or coldness? Minneapolis is WAY sunnier, and it's warmer ON AVERAGE than Seattle annually. So spare me the lovely Seattle weather crap -- it completely sucks (excluding summer)! I'll take cold and snow any day over rain and clouds -- all day long!
Do i sense some bias here? lol. just messin

Old 07-09-2011, 09:26 AM

572 posts, read 537,702 times
Having lived in both Minneapolis and Seattle I would go with Seattle for a number of reasons.

1) Density. Seattle has a more urban feel to it. Downtown Minneapolis gets pretty dead after dark (except for the bars).

2) Cultural: Seattle is more diverse, and the surrounding area is more diverse. I know that Seattle and Minneapolis are pretty white, but the suburbs of Seattle are more diverse than Minneapolis. Over a 1/4 of the Seattle suburb of Bellevue is Chinese. Lots of Asian influence in Seattle.

3) Weather: The summers in Seattle are less humid, and you do not need air condition.

4) Outdoors: Seattle is close to Glacier filled mountains, the Puget Sound, some of the tallest trees in the world, active volcanoes. Year around skiing, rockclimbing, and kayaking. I know Minnesota has the boundary waters, but that is pretty far away.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:02 AM

5,531 posts, read 5,664,879 times
^Is Seattle "active" after dark, outside the bar districts? And don't say theatre, because Minneapolis has more.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:24 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,018,169 times
Quote:
^Is Seattle "active" after dark, outside the bar districts? And don't say theatre, because Minneapolis has more.
Yes, we have plenty of 7-11's and gas stations. What kind of question is this?

Old 07-09-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I think Seattle, Los Angeles, & NYC are the only cities I have been to when the Downtown is "Lively". So yes, seattle is most likely more lively than Minneapolis. I honestly think Seattle is better than Minneappolis, but thats not really sayin alot, because Seattle is "Better" compared to alot of US cities (IMO).

Old 07-09-2011, 06:04 PM

294 posts, read 356,796 times
Quote:
That's kind of a tricky question, because a lot of the neighborhoods that are active after dark do have a lot of bars. But they aren't necessarily "bar districts". Capitol Hill, Belltown, Ballard, West Edge, etc. - these areas offer a lot to do after dark.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:37 PM

8,069 posts, read 5,959,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainRush View Post
I think Seattle, Los Angeles, & NYC are the only cities I have been to when the Downtown is "Lively".
... Taking Little Tokyo out of the equation, Downtown LA is probably the most dead downtown for a city of its size in the US, if not the world! I adore Los Angeles, but downtown LA is a financial/business district 9a-5p, and a bum camp from 5p-9a. In my five years there, the only reason I went downtown (discounting sushi in Little Tokyo) was

- job interviews
- the huge public library
- court

LA's nightlife is most active in Hollywood, Santa Monica, and parts of East LA (almost exclusively Latin though) with smaller spots in Beverly Hills, Venice, Culver City, etc.

SF's got way more going on downtown after dark since Union Square is part of downtown, and the biggest social hub in the city.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:40 PM

5,531 posts, read 5,664,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overunder12 View Post
That's kind of a tricky question, because a lot of the neighborhoods that are active after dark do have a lot of bars. But they aren't necessarily "bar districts". Capitol Hill, Belltown, Ballard, West Edge, etc. - these areas offer a lot to do after dark.
Got it, guys! Not sure I needed 5 responses for one question but clearly you felt I needed 5 different responses.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Seattlies like you guys tend to give off the impression that Seattle is not only the place that you personally prefer, but that it's flawless and nobody should disagree. It's not always explicitly stated, but sometimes it is! I'm not sure I'd like Minneapolis (where I was born and raised) if everyone kept telling me how perfect it was and we had nothing to argue about. I'm weird like that I guess -- I always look for new and different perspectives (aka "devil's advocate").

I don't think Seattle is perfect at all but obviously, it's an amazing city. I'd live there if I felt it was ideal for my family -- it's that simple. I'm not a big weather wuss but I have to say 50% or more cloudy days and drizzle would probably put me into a perpetual funk and depression. I had this same concern with Cleveland, but so far, so sunny. I KNOW the cold weather deters many from Minneapolis -- far more than weather deters people from Seattle -- but it's sunny when it's really cold and I like to do snow sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City