U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Minneapolis 119 36.73%
Seattle 205 63.27%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:12 PM

331 posts, read 509,973 times

Advertisements

These two cities seem very similar on paper; highly educated, fairly liberal, relatively clean, and both have similar populations. Which do you prefer based on:

-transportation options
-access to nature and associated sports activities
-skyline / downtown
-cultural amenities
-metro area as a whole

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 12:16 PM

643 posts, read 852,667 times
I love Seattle. The politics are the only negative for me but wouldn't keep me away. Seattle is a great place to live. Minneapolis is fairly similar IMO. Either place would be nice. Seattles climate is better IMO

Old 11-30-2009, 02:37 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,381,141 times
location: Seattle because it is close to Vancouver while Minneapolis is in the middle of nowhere
built environment: Minneapolis has more interesting neighborhoods.

transportation options: Minneapolis is ahead because its first light rail was put to use several years earlier than Seattle and Seattle is only beginning to use that as an option. Seattle has more congestion problem.

skyline/downtown: Minneapolis wins daytime skyline because the skyscrapers are more spectacular. And you can always enjoy St. Paul skyline too. (No Bellevue skyline doesn't compare to St. Paul). Seattle wins night skyline when the space needle is lit up because building styles don't contribute much to nighttime skyline and Seattle's downtown is larger than Minneapolis alone. Seattle wins downtown hands down because Minneapolis downtown is not as a fascinating shopping destination as Seattle downtown is, and hence less foot traffic and less happening.

cultural amenities: Minneapolis because of the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, Walker Art Center and the theater scene that locals are proud of.
metro area as a whole: don't know what this means.

Bottom line: If you factor out the cost of living Seattle would win but sadly most people have to consider that, so Minneapolis for me. You get pretty much the same thing for less money so you have more chances to travel to places that are best in certain aspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
These two cities seem very similar on paper; highly educated, fairly liberal, relatively clean, and both have similar populations. Which do you prefer based on:

-transportation options
-skyline / downtown
-cultural amenities
-metro area as a whole

Thanks!

Last edited by fashionguy; 11-30-2009 at 02:49 PM..

Old 11-30-2009, 02:43 PM

331 posts, read 509,973 times
Thanks- guess I should clarify 'metro as a whole'....what I meant by that is what are your impressions of Minneapolis-St. Paul as a whole urban area in comparison to Seattle-Bellevue-Tacoma....

Old 11-30-2009, 11:37 PM

150 posts, read 24,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post

-transportation options
-skyline / downtown
-cultural amenities
-metro area as a whole

Thanks!
Location - Meanneaplis is in the midwest, while Seattle is on the west coast

Trasportation - Both cities are hard to live in without a car

Sports - Meanneaplis has all four major sports teams. Seattle only has two.

Skyline - Seattle skyline wins very easily

Metro - Size wise, both metros are around 4.1 M

The main thing that you need to look out is the outdoors/weather. Both cities offer outdoor acitivites, but Seattle is better for hiking. Also, Seattle gets tons of rain while Minneaplis gets tons of snow and is considered of the coldest places in North America.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:18 AM

3,973 posts, read 7,352,619 times
But, wait...there's more...

Both metros are quite similar in demographics, racial, age, income, etc.

And...college educated, scandinavian influence, lean liberal.

Location: Actually, both are somewhat isolated. Yes, Seattle is close to Vancouver, but among US cities, Minneapolis is relatively close to Chicago, much more so than Seattle is to the Bay Area.

Recreation: First glance, Seattle because of proximity to the mountains and ocean, but in truth Minneapolis is close to recreation, just not as scenic. Lakes, fishing, hunting, quite plentiful around the Twin Cities.

So, enough of the similarities. Minneapolis/St. Paul has a distinct traditional midwest feel, Seattle has no distinct feel whatsoever, it is unique in its vibe and energy.

Transportation, MSP airport is a major hub, and much larger than Sea-Tac. There are more freeways around MSP, and light rail is limited in both areas, although one could argue Seattle is building more quickly.

Sports, yes more major league teams in MSP due to the Sonics being lost, but Twin Cities teams have been on the verge of leaving in recent years. I understand new stadiums are coming on line there.
U of M has a new venue, U of W is far away from that.

Culture, probably a toss-up, both cities are trying hard, the edge probably goes to Seattle at the end of the day.

Weather, depends on what you like but obviously Seattle is more mild, as in warmer temps during the winter and cooler/less humid during the summer. More sunshine in MSP.

Skyline, Minneapolis is impressive, Seattle is more impressive. Plus, there is no edge city highrise suburb that can compete with Bellevue, WA. Bloomington is quite average by comparison. St. Paul could be compared to Tacoma.

In general, both cities are impressive in many ways. A good city vs. city.

Last edited by pw72; 12-01-2009 at 12:29 AM..

Old 02-06-2010, 04:06 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,300,880 times
What's with buildings not being lit up in the first picture (specifically the Wells Fargo Center and the Capella Tower)?

Old 02-06-2010, 04:48 PM

4,475 posts, read 4,927,290 times
I think I will take Seattle because of the weather. I can deal with rain much better than extremely cold temperatures. However, I would miss the NBA. So it could be Minneapolis for me. I also would give Seattle the nod for higher ed.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:23 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,578,541 times
Minneapolis is a cool city,and compared to a lot of the Midwest is a real unique gem,but Seattle just takes the cake in all areas here.
Better location,IMO,the Puget Sound and Cascades are right there,close proximity to Vancouver,close enough to Portland and short flights back home. Transportation is better and nothing in MPLS comes close to what SEA offers as far as nature or other sports activities. The skyline is more beautiful IMO and the downtown more urban and vibrant. As far as the metro area I love Seattles,Minneapolis not as much. St.Paul is cool but if given the choice I would choose Bellevue in a heartbeat,and also the weather in Seattle is more favorable imo.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:48 PM

3,738 posts, read 5,068,287 times
Both are real cool cities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City