U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a better quality of life?
Dallas 11 55.00%
Atlanta 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2009, 10:39 PM

3,261 posts, read 7,326,896 times

Advertisements

Which city has a better quality of life?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 PM

4,230 posts, read 8,438,283 times
What exactly is "quality of life"?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:50 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,025,882 times
At this particular time, I'd have to go with Dallas since it's faring better in this current economic climate than Atlanta.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:56 AM

12,962 posts, read 18,645,574 times
These cities are actually more alike than different. For the sake of everything, I will compare not just the cities but the areas:

Like Akhenaton06 said, Dallas is doing alot better economically and is projected to do so for at least the next 5 years. Dallas is a magnent for hispanic immigrants coming from Central America and to a lesser degree from India and Asia. Dallas is the city de' jour for Indian and Pakistani immigrants. Dallas is a center for Hispanic culture. 80% of Dallas' growth is Hispanic.

Atlanta is a prettier city. It has alot more to offer the outdoorman. It is a haven for African-Americans and the center of African-American and southern culture. Atlanta is the city de' jour for South Korean immigrants. Atlanta sprawls more than Dallas does. Atlanta attracts more people from other parts of the United States than Dallas does, but less people from other countries.

Both cities offer an amazing nightlife for all kinds or people, resturants to suit every pallet, large gay communities, and are lots of fun.

My personal preference is Dallas, but I can see why lots of people love Atlanta.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:58 AM

17,681 posts, read 29,568,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
These cities are actually more alike than different. For the sake of everything, I will compare not just the cities but the areas:

Like Akhenaton06 said, Dallas is doing alot better economically and is projected to do so for at least the next 5 years. Dallas is a magnent for hispanic immigrants coming from Central America and to a lesser degree from India and Asia. Dallas is the city de' jour for Indian and Pakistani immigrants. Dallas is a center for Hispanic culture. 80% of Dallas' growth is Hispanic.

Atlanta is a prettier city. It has alot more to offer the outdoorman. It is a haven for African-Americans and the center of African-American and southern culture. Atlanta is the city de' jour for South Korean immigrants. Atlanta sprawls more than Dallas does. Atlanta attracts more people from other parts of the United States than Dallas does, but less people from other countries.

Both cities offer an amazing nightlife for all kinds or people, resturants to suit every pallet, large gay communities, and are lots of fun.

My personal preference is Dallas, but I can see why lots of people love Atlanta.
Good post, and right to the point.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 AM

2,531 posts, read 5,082,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

Good post. I like living in Atlanta, but I could see myself in Dallas too. The cities are a lot more alike than they are different, except for weather and terrain, which I find to be better in Atlanta. I find the infrastructure in Dallas to be superior though. The streets and freeways are laid out in a far more organized manner than Atlanta and the major arterials are far wider. I have a fairly good sense of direction, but for the first year that I moved to Atlanta, I was constantly getting lost. Traffic is far worse in Atlanta, even though it is a smaller metropolitan area than DFW.

Isn't the DFW Metroplex overall more politically conservative than Metro Atlanta? I consider myself a political moderate, so it makes me no nevermind, but would I have a harder time in Dallas than I do in Atlanta? There also seems to be more of an undercurrent of racial tension in Atlanta, though Dallas has its issues.

FWIW, when I lived in Mississippi, the biggest destinations for people fleeing the state were Atlanta, Dallas and Houston. I see more New Yorkers and Floridians in Atlanta as well as a ton of folks from the DC area. I think Californians and Chicagoans tend to be drawn to Dallas more, but there are a lot them are here in ATL too.

Last edited by grindin; 12-01-2009 at 09:29 AM..

Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 AM

12,962 posts, read 18,645,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Isn't the DFW Metroplex overall more politically conservative than Metro Atlanta? I consider myself a political moderate, so it makes me no nevermind, but would I have a harder time in Dallas than I do in Atlanta? There also seems to be more of an undercurrent of racial tension in Atlanta, though Dallas has its issues.
From what Ive been able to tell, the differences between Dallas and Atlanta politically are negligable. In my opinion, the DFW metroplex might actually be slightly more liberal, however again its negligable.

Funny thing is that according to this study, Atlanta is the 31st most liberal city in the US and Dallas is the 32nd most liberal city in the US. How funny that these two (already similar) cities would end up right next to each other in a study that measures over 260 cities!

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/...081205libs.pdf

As for Racial tension, in my opinion, Atlanta has more of it. But again the dynamics of the cities are different. Historically there has been more tension between black and white Americans vs. Hispanic and White in the US. Remember of course that while 1/3 of the Atlanta Metro Area is African-American, 1/3 of the Metroplex is Hispanic. A very large portion of the Hispanic community here is from another country.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 AM

11,031 posts, read 29,928,865 times
Since the two cities are so similar in many ways, for me it boils down to attractiveness. I like Atlanta's architecture better, its rolling hills, its weather. Dallas is a city on the plains, Atlanta is a city in a forest.

Dallas may seem like it's laid out better, but that's because it's pretty easy to build straight roads on really flat land. In Atlanta, roads have to follow the contours of the land. It may make it hard to find your way around at first, but it's sure a lot more interesting.

In Atlanta there's tubing and rafting in the city (Chattahoochee River). There's the 3200-acre Stone Mountain Park which contains the world's largest piece of exposed granite, an aerial tramway, a paddlewheeler riverboat, and a scenic train. Dallas has absolutely nothing comparable. Atlanta also has the world's largest aquarium, a zoo with panda bears, and Civil War battlefields.

For me, it's Atlanta.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:15 AM

780 posts, read 1,586,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

For me, it's Atlanta.
Me too, Dallas is nice and all but Atlanta has so much more appeal than Dallas.

For me the Quality of Life in Atlanta is perfect.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:24 AM

9,190 posts, read 28,441,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Which city has a better quality of life?
Your question is too generic. Also please use the room's search function, as this city comparison has been done before, so please add to any existing threads rather than re-create a new one on the same topic. Thanks.

What To Post In This Room (and - NOT). READ BEFORE POSTING ****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.