Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:17 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,320,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
Everyone takes the subway in NY. Its a way of life. If you live in the CITY you know this.
Not everyone, some people prefer driving, biking, buses, cabs/taxis, dollar vans, the Long Island Railroad, Metro-North Railroad, etc.

I haven't taken the subway in like 3 years (excluding a one stop trip on the C train from Penn Station to the PABT on my way to D.C. last Summer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 10:25 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
Everyone takes the subway in NY. Its a way of life. If you live in the CITY you know this.
Really? Then I wonder who is driving all of those cars in NYC...and why are roads even necessary?

Old 12-06-2009, 10:37 AM

316 posts, read 654,488 times
I really don't think a thug will travel 50 miles outside of a city, train or car to commit a crime.. When you get that far out a thug is out of his or her surroundings, at least that's how it appears in Atlanta! Normally the farther out from a city the better off. But I could be wrong... There are plenty of safe areas 30 minutes outside the Atlanta proper.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:16 AM

542 posts, read 991,094 times
I've heard this argument before and I can see how it appears to some to be prejudicial, but it just costs so much nowadays to build these rails or expand mass transit. Ironically now we need it more because of population growth, when back in the 50's-70's it wasn't as needed and suburbs were not so far out back then. I would absolutely hate it if there actually was some form of prejudice behind it. I just think it really boils down to money and geography. Theres less of each now.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:28 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,158 times
Thieves are going to go into your neighborhood to get the big money items whether there is public transit or not. I laugh at this because the same thing applies for roads/autos and yet no one complains about those two.

just in the news this past week suburbanites are actually taking public transit to get into the ghetto so they can buy their drugs. The city of Detroit impounds your car if caught with drugs in it and its a hefty fine to get it out of the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City