U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-17-2012, 04:07 PM
 
2,924 posts, read 2,268,339 times
Reputation: 618

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Not to get naughty here... but you didn't violate my body. A particular area? Yes. My psyche? Yes. My whole body? No. Different parts of my body with different functions.

Did the BP oil spill contaminate the whole Atlantic Ocean? Or just the Gulf? Did people in the UK complain about fish and birds covered in oil in London? Did Brazil raise hell about having oil wash up on their beaches? No. There is a difference in a bay, and subsequently a gulf (which is much larger than a bay, and could be argued that it is much more "ocean" than a bay),
and an ocean or lake.

New York's waters connect to the ocean. So do Chicago's waters. The difference is water in Chicago has to go further to reach the ocean... and it's drinkable.
No. It is not the only difference. You forget that the exchange of waters between the bay and the ocean is bi-directional. You also forget that the bays contain the same water as the oceans they are connected to and the same fauna and flora I am not aware of that much salty Atlantic water in lake Michigan or many whales being washed up on Lake Shore Drive.
Your point is both moot and absurd.

Anyways, beautiful Atlantic beaches in Long Island, not further away than frequented by Chicagoans beaches of Michigan, are there for our enjoyment. Keep in mind, even though only a couple of hours away they are often considered some of the top beaches in the US. Yes. Right here in our backyard.

PS. Is it just me or are Chicagoans particulary prone to making even the most absurd claims? What a defensive bunch...

Last edited by rebel12; 07-17-2012 at 04:24 PM..

 
Old 07-17-2012, 04:29 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 3,901,147 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
No. It is not the only difference. You forget that the exchange of waters between the bay and the ocean is bi-directional. You also forget that the bays contain the same water as the oceans they are connected to and the same fauna and flora I am not aware of that much salty Atlantic water in lake Michigan or many whales being washed up on Lake Shore Drive.
Your point is both moot and absurd.

Anyways, beautiful Atlantic beaches in Long Island, not further away than frequented by Chicagoans beaches of Michigan, are there for our enjoyment. Keep in mind, even though only a couple of hours away they are often considered some of the top beaches in the US. Yes. Right here in our backyard.

PS. Is it just me or are Chicagoans particulary prone to making even the most absurd claims? What a defensive bunch...

You know, I haven't read all of these posts, because they've become awfully predictable. I will say, though, that if you're from wordly NYC, your views are very narrow-minded and provincial. Seriously provincial.
 
Old 07-17-2012, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Chicago
1,312 posts, read 1,527,916 times
Reputation: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Is it just me or are Chicagoans particulary prone to making even the most absurd claims? What a defensive bunch...
Yes, lake Michigan is connected to the ocean but only in the way my jacuzzi is: water from my jacuzzi eventually flows to the ocean.
Or there is a pretty good chance that water ends up in the ground, or a lake... or your local water treatment plant.

If Jacuzzi water from New Yorkers (New Jersey) flows into the Atlantic you have given me a reason to avoid swimming on the East Coast.



Also, last time I checked (which was in a science class in school) "jacuzzis" were never part of the water cycle. Maybe science has changed since I last attended a class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Ocean bays are connected as they contain the same water as the oceans they are connected to and the exchange of water is bi-directional. While bays as an integral part of the ocean's ecosytem contain the same fauna and flora I am not aware of that much salty Atlantic water in lake Michigan or many whales being washed up on Lake Shore Drive.
Your point is both moot and absurd.
moot: (n) open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point.
moot: (v) to present or introduce (any point, subject, project, etc.) for discussion

From Dictionary.com

FYI, Chicago reversed the flow of the Chicago river to flow towards the Mississippi river, which flows to the Gulf of Mexico, which is, as you are insinuating, a part of the Atlantic. Have fun with that.

And how is my point absurd? Is the Hudson River a salty body of water? It flows into the Upper Bay, which flows into the Lower Bay, which flows into the Atlantic. But would anyone consider the Hudson the "ocean"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Anyways, beautiful Atlantic beaches in Long Island, not further away than frequented by Chicagoans beaches of Michigan, are there for our enjoyment. Keep in mind, even though only a couple of hours away they are often considered some of the top beaches in the US. Yes. Right here in our backyard.
Those beaches my be in your backyard. Chicago's beaches are on it's front door step. No need to leave Chicago, let alone Illinois, to get to a nice beach (plus all of Chicago's are free). In fact, you can go to the beach in Chicago, walk 10 minutes to your hotel room in the Loop or on the Mile, change clothes and then walk 10 more minutes to a variety or restaurants, bars, theaters, stores.

From what I can tell, the best beaches are out on Long Island (Rockaway Point) which is AT LEAST 30 minutes (by car, 1 hour by public transit, 4.5 hours walking) there and back from Lower Manhattan.

 
Old 07-17-2012, 05:33 PM
 
313 posts, read 273,279 times
Reputation: 83
Youre just debating semantics with him fellas.

Dont even bother. Hes lucky its through the internet, because nobody I know wouldve tolerated this much of his BS in person and wouldve either walked out or punched him in the face.
 
Old 07-17-2012, 06:22 PM
 
2,924 posts, read 2,268,339 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
You know, I haven't read all of these posts, because they've become awfully predictable. I will say, though, that if you're from wordly NYC, your views are very narrow-minded and provincial. Seriously provincial.
A guy from Wisssconsin just called me provincial... ROTFL
 
Old 07-17-2012, 06:29 PM
 
2,924 posts, read 2,268,339 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Or there is a pretty good chance that water ends up in the ground, or a lake... or your local water treatment plant.

If Jacuzzi water from New Yorkers (New Jersey) flows into the Atlantic you have given me a reason to avoid swimming on the East Coast.



Also, last time I checked (which was in a science class in school) "jacuzzis" were never part of the water cycle. Maybe science has changed since I last attended a class.



moot: (n) open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point.
moot: (v) to present or introduce (any point, subject, project, etc.) for discussion

From Dictionary.com

FYI, Chicago reversed the flow of the Chicago river to flow towards the Mississippi river, which flows to the Gulf of Mexico, which is, as you are insinuating, a part of the Atlantic. Have fun with that.

And how is my point absurd? Is the Hudson River a salty body of water? It flows into the Upper Bay, which flows into the Lower Bay, which flows into the Atlantic. But would anyone consider the Hudson the "ocean"?

It is still absurd, rivers flow into the ocean, one direction only while bays enjoy bidirectional flow and have pretty the same water as the ocean itself. Salty. Is Chicago river or lake Michigan salty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Those beaches my be in your backyard. Chicago's beaches are on it's front door step. No need to leave Chicago, let alone Illinois, to get to a nice beach (plus all of Chicago's are free). In fact, you can go to the beach in Chicago, walk 10 minutes to your hotel room in the Loop or on the Mile, change clothes and then walk 10 more minutes to a variety or restaurants, bars, theaters, stores.

From what I can tell, the best beaches are out on Long Island (Rockaway Point) which is AT LEAST 30 minutes (by car, 1 hour by public transit, 4.5 hours walking) there and back from Lower Manhattan.

I know but your beach does not feel like a beach: where are the waves, where is the ocean's salty breeze... Where is the beautiful sand? C'mon. You do have a beach right at your door step but it can't be compared to sandy beaches of Long Island. Something's missing. That's how I felt about it. Michigan beaches are much nicer and that's were my friends have a house. Pretty nice, dunes and sand but still not the same as New York, New England, Virginia or Florida. Something is missing.
And no, Rockaway point is not the nicest. No.
 
Old 07-17-2012, 06:37 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 3,901,147 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
A guy from Wisssconsin just called me provincial... ROTFL
First of all, why assume I'm a guy. Secondly, it's true, you're extremely provincial...look up the definition, it fits you perfectly. AND, you assume because I'm from Wisconsin, that I'm provincial. Sad, that you can't see the truth.

One more thing, posters like you make me realize that I really don't like the time I spend on this forum, anymore. Anonymous people just bashing this and that. I'm tired of it, and I would love to be banned. PLEASE ban me, moderators. I've asked before, but am really serious about this. This poster, and others like this poster, are a huge waste of time, but I'm drawn to them like a train-wreck.

What a piece of work you are, rebel.
 
Old 07-17-2012, 06:55 PM
 
313 posts, read 273,279 times
Reputation: 83
The guy insinuating that men drinking wine is gay enjoys salty liquid.

Does anyone else see this?
 
Old 07-18-2012, 06:12 AM
 
2,924 posts, read 2,268,339 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
I can write more slowly... and I will.

Where... did he... get his... doctorate degree... in beaches... from?

I want to transfer my currently earned credits as "carney" to a doctorate in beaches... because I could then put out my own list and put, you know... popular beaches on there.
"Doctorate in beaches" - Hiillarious. Will this suffice: "Leatherman earned his Ph.D. in Environmental (Coastal) Sciences from the University of Virginia and a B.S. degree in Geosciences with honors from North Carolina State University". I think you realize that "PhD in Environmental (Coast Services)" translates to Chicago English as "PhD in beaches and stuff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
It doesn't seem like that guy takes into account, or completely disregards, CITIES with beaches. At least he doesn't list a beach that is within a city limits.[/quotes]

Maybe because he focuses on quality and not beaches with cities attached?

You should e-mail him, and ask him to put together a list of "Best of" beaches that are strictly within city limits. I would be interested to know how many would be located within NYC and Chicago, if any. All the beaches he listed were outside of cities, except for the Hawaii ones.
And how cares if it is within city limits or not? Newark Airport, major NYC airport is NOT within city limits, so isn't Giants Stadium. Not every city was built on a prairie in the middle of nowhere, you know..
As far as emailing him, I think you should do it. Tell him Chicago C-D community is outraged that Chicago's concrete beaches never made it to top ten next to Hawaii, Florida or California beaches. Hopefully he is not just another Chicago basher
 
Old 07-18-2012, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Chicago
3,569 posts, read 5,774,131 times
Reputation: 2552
Here we go with the assclowns again.
Saying oceans are more enjoyable because they have salt, jellyfish, and sharks.
Lake michigan does not so it sucks and its not enjoyable to swim in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top