Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 08:37 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times

Advertisements

Kerr,

I'm originally from Brooklyn and I have stayed in Chicago. Am I qualified now?

Old 03-24-2008, 10:44 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpainter View Post
uhhh,.. not having lead welded water tanks on the tops of your apartments? Just a thought.
I love those. They add to the urban grit and beauty of NYC. And NYC is actully one of only four cities in the country whose water doesn't have to go through a water treatment plant, thanks to the Catskills watershed.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ wasn't everything you said built over half a century ago? Some over 100 years ago?

Not saying NYC isn't progressive, just thought it was funny a lot of the examples were public works projects set up during the Great Depression.
No, NYC is building many new supertalls. Perhaps you didn't see the thread showing some of them...
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...america-s.html

Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
^ I'm aware of that, both cities are building at a very rapid pace.

I was just making a random comment on the specific list you provided in your post...

Old 03-24-2008, 01:45 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezza Downunder View Post
Generally speaking those who would prefer Chicago over New York are those who financially would not cope in New York. Also it is the tall poppy syndrome coming to the surface.( We must knock the successful down to our level)
Ridiculous. My brother lives in Manhattan and I live in Chicago. I wouldn't bring it up at Thanksgiving dinner, but I make a bit more money than he does. If I did a similar job in NYC, I'd probably make even more.

It ain't about finances. It's about personal preference.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:34 PM

30 posts, read 370,667 times
Exclamation Attention New Yorkers: you are above this!

Attention all new yorkers...

I am in chicago often and I find it incredibly pathetic when I hear chicagoans constantly being defensive about their city and trying to belittle every other city in the midwest (i.e. st. loius, milwaukee, indy, KC, etc.). New Yorkers are much more cordial and say pleasant things about boston, DC, etc..

Chicagoans are constantly bragging how great it is, don't get me wrong - the city is ok but theres nothing that great about it. As some of my out of town friends from the east coast explained, its basically a "taller version of st. louis with a nicer waterfront". Granted, I love St. Louis, but we all know st. louis does not compare with NYC

Most sad to me is when chicagoans are constantly attempting to belittle New York City (apparently in an attempt to make themselves feel more important?). Of course, NYC is unquestionably still America's biggest and best city..

My point?? For f*** sake new yorkers - do not lower yourselves to these pitiful converstations with chicagoans that never go anywhere. And don't waste your time on Chicago. Stay in NYC - there are plenty of great places on the east coast. Our go to America's 2nd city (no - not chicago) L.A. - and avoid the boring smelly midwest altogether. I prefer the laid back monterey area for the true west coast

I'm sure there will be many chicagoans upset and whining and moaning about this posting.. but of course that proves my point (see above)

Old 07-09-2008, 08:46 PM

30 posts, read 370,667 times
Thumbs down Wait a minute - thats not exactly true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Chicago has been more progressive than New York. It's the birthplace of the skyscraper and it is fitting that the tallest building in North America is in that city. It should be no wonder why the skyline is so nice with its vibrant colors.
There are volumes of books refuting this silly notion that chicago is the birthplace of the skyscraper. It is simply a matter of how you define a skyscraper. And many architectural historians differ on the exact definition. By all standards, the first high rise was in manhattan years and years before the home insurance building. Begin by reading "Rise of the NY Skyscraper 1865 - 1912" so at least you are slightly educated on this matter.

Lets all be honest with ourselves: I believe NY lost the "battle" for claim to the birthplace of the skyscraper - simply because chicagoans said it more often - ok waaay more often. So again, lets all be honest Chicago has no other claim to fame - except michael jordan... oh wait, he is from north carolina. Nevermind. Oh and Mies.. nope - he's from europe. S.O.M? Hmm nope based in NYC. Good beer? Oh nope - thats St. Louis. Well, guess thats all you got eh?? Hmmm. Oh, frank lloyd wright.. nope he's from wisconsin. Ok, go ahead and take that one, that whole "first skyscraper" thing.. go ahead now, before you cry..

Old 07-09-2008, 08:50 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in Skyscrapers View Post
Attention all new yorkers...

I am in chicago often and I find it incredibly pathetic when I hear chicagoans constantly being defensive about their city and trying to belittle every other city in the midwest (i.e. st. loius, milwaukee, indy, KC, etc.). New Yorkers are much more cordial and say pleasant things about boston, DC, etc..

Chicagoans are constantly bragging how great it is, don't get me wrong - the city is ok but theres nothing that great about it. As some of my out of town friends from the east coast explained, its basically a "taller version of st. louis with a nicer waterfront". Granted, I love St. Louis, but we all know st. louis does not compare with NYC

Most sad to me is when chicagoans are constantly attempting to belittle New York City (apparently in an attempt to make themselves feel more important?). Of course, NYC is unquestionably still America's biggest and best city..

My point?? For f*** sake new yorkers - do not lower yourselves to these pitiful converstations with chicagoans that never go anywhere. And don't waste your time on Chicago. Stay in NYC - there are plenty of great places on the east coast. Our go to America's 2nd city (no - not chicago) L.A. - and avoid the boring smelly midwest altogether. I prefer the laid back monterey area for the true west coast

I'm sure there will be many chicagoans upset and whining and moaning about this posting.. but of course that proves my point (see above)
I am not from Chicago but I find your comparison and analogies to be ridiculous and extremely biased. St. Louis? How can you possibly compare Chicago to St. Louis. Outside LA, San Diego and a few other west coast cities, I can't think of another city that differs more from Chicago, than St. Louis. Ok, Dallas.
It seems that New Yorkers like yourself suffer from a certain...size envy. Chicago, smaller, yet has everything NYC has to offer. NYC has the bigger skyline, and yet Chicago's is more breathtaking. NYC, biggest? yes. Best? Not on your life.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:18 PM

147 posts, read 376,603 times
Quote:
There are volumes of books refuting this silly notion that chicago is the birthplace of the skyscraper. It is simply a matter of how you define a skyscraper. And many architectural historians differ on the exact definition. By all standards, the first high rise was in manhattan years and years before the home insurance building. Begin by reading "Rise of the NY Skyscraper 1865 - 1912" so at least you are slightly educated on this matter.

Lets all be honest with ourselves: I believe NY lost the "battle" for claim to the birthplace of the skyscraper - simply because chicagoans said it more often - ok waaay more often. So again, lets all be honest Chicago has no other claim to fame - except michael jordan... oh wait, he is from north carolina. Nevermind. Oh and Mies.. nope - he's from europe. S.O.M? Hmm nope based in NYC. Good beer? Oh nope - thats St. Louis. Well, guess thats all you got eh?? Hmmm. Oh, frank lloyd wright.. nope he's from wisconsin. Ok, go ahead and take that one, that whole "first skyscraper" thing.. go ahead now, before you cry..
Good post! I think you are really onto something here. I too have done my own research into the matter, and to say that Chicago is the birthplace of the skyscraper, is not only up for severe speculation on many different levels, it is also slightly biased. Both however are an unique and a majestic piece of the Amerian experience. Just for the record though, NYC would be my top choice by far. Not only is it better in my opinion, it has a crime rate that blows Chicago out of the water.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:23 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
Quote:
.. go ahead now, before you cry..
You have some serious issues there if you are so insecure about the greatness of new york that you feel you must be so condescending (and don't give me any of that 'it is because I'm a new yorker' crap either, I've lots of family from new york and have spent plenty of time there, it isn't 'a new yorker thing' at all, you're just being a jerk for no discernible reason), and least you look at my location and make erroneous assumptions of my thoughts on this matter because of said location, I suggest you go read my posts on this very thread before doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City