Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 09:23 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,128 times

Advertisements

Who cares to reply to such a lame post like this

btw, I love NYC & Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in Skyscrapers View Post
Attention all new yorkers...

I am in chicago often and I find it incredibly pathetic when I hear chicagoans constantly being defensive about their city and trying to belittle every other city in the midwest (i.e. st. loius, milwaukee, indy, KC, etc.). New Yorkers are much more cordial and say pleasant things about boston, DC, etc..

Chicagoans are constantly bragging how great it is, don't get me wrong - the city is ok but theres nothing that great about it. As some of my out of town friends from the east coast explained, its basically a "taller version of st. louis with a nicer waterfront". Granted, I love St. Louis, but we all know st. louis does not compare with NYC

Most sad to me is when chicagoans are constantly attempting to belittle New York City (apparently in an attempt to make themselves feel more important?). Of course, NYC is unquestionably still America's biggest and best city..

My point?? For f*** sake new yorkers - do not lower yourselves to these pitiful converstations with chicagoans that never go anywhere. And don't waste your time on Chicago. Stay in NYC - there are plenty of great places on the east coast. Our go to America's 2nd city (no - not chicago) L.A. - and avoid the boring smelly midwest altogether. I prefer the laid back monterey area for the true west coast

I'm sure there will be many chicagoans upset and whining and moaning about this posting.. but of course that proves my point (see above)

Old 07-09-2008, 09:32 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:

I am in chicago often and I find it incredibly pathetic when I hear chicagoans constantly being defensive about their city and trying to belittle every other city in the midwest (i.e. st. loius, milwaukee, indy, KC, etc.). New Yorkers are much more cordial and say pleasant things about boston, DC, etc.. Chicagoans are constantly bragging how great it is, don't get me wrong - the city is ok but theres nothing that great about it. As some of my out of town friends from the east coast explained, its basically a "taller version of st. louis with a nicer waterfront". Granted, I love St. Louis, but we all know st. louis does not compare with NYC Most sad to me is when chicagoans are constantly attempting to belittle New York City
(apparently in an attempt to make themselves feel more important?). Of course, NYC is unquestionably still America's biggest and best city..
My point?? For f*** sake new yorkers - do not lower yourselves to these pitiful converstations with chicagoans that never go anywhere. And don't waste your time on Chicago. Stay in NYC - there are plenty of great places on the east coast. Our go to America's 2nd city (no - not chicago) L.A. - and avoid the boring smelly midwest altogether. I prefer the laid back monterey area for the true west coast I'm sure there will be many chicagoans upset and whining and moaning about this posting.. but of course that proves my point (see above)
You a New Yorker brought up a thread that has been dead for 4 months to complain about complaining? The irony is too much for me. I don't believe what you said because living here, Chicago, not visiting, I don't hear anything about the city mentioned. Unless you were starting arguments with drunks then your story is a fallacy.

Quote:
There are volumes of books refuting this silly notion that chicago is the birthplace of the skyscraper. It is simply a matter of how you define a skyscraper. And many architectural historians differ on the exact definition. By all standards, the first high rise was in manhattan years and years before the home insurance building. Begin by reading "Rise of the NY Skyscraper 1865 - 1912" so at least you are slightly educated on this matter. Lets all be honest with ourselves: I believe NY lost the "battle" for claim to the birthplace of the skyscraper - simply because chicagoans said it more often - ok waaay more often. So again, lets all be honest Chicago has no other claim to fame - except michael jordan... oh wait, he is from north carolina. Nevermind. Oh and Mies.. nope - he's from europe. S.O.M? Hmm nope based in NYC. Good beer? Oh nope - thats St. Louis. Well, guess thats all you got eh?? Hmmm. Oh, frank lloyd wright.. nope he's from wisconsin. Ok, go ahead and take that one, that whole "first skyscraper" thing.. go ahead now, before you cry..
Are you serious? All of the other buildings had to be like the Monadnock, very thick brick walls to be taller than others. The Home Insurance Building was the first of it's kind to have a metal skeleton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I am not from Chicago but I find your comparison and analogies to be ridiculous and extremely biased. St. Louis? How can you possibly compare Chicago to St. Louis. Outside LA, San Diego and a few other west coast cities, I can't think of another city that differs more from Chicago, than St. Louis. Ok, Dallas.It seems that New Yorkers like yourself suffer from a certain...size envy. Chicago, smaller, yet has everything NYC has to offer. NYC has the bigger skyline, and yet Chicago's is more breathtaking. NYC, biggest? yes. Best? Not on your life.
I was hoping someone would say this.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:58 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Quote:

I am in chicago often and I find it incredibly pathetic when I hear chicagoans constantly being defensive about their city and trying to belittle every other city in the midwest (i.e. st. loius, milwaukee, indy, KC, etc.). New Yorkers are much more cordial and say pleasant things about boston, DC, etc..

Chicagoans are constantly bragging how great it is, don't get me wrong - the city is ok but theres nothing that great about it. As some of my out of town friends from the east coast explained, its basically a "taller version of st. louis with a nicer waterfront". Granted, I love St. Louis, but we all know st. louis does not compare with NYC

Most sad to me is when chicagoans are constantly attempting to belittle New York City (apparently in an attempt to make themselves feel more important?). Of course, NYC is unquestionably still America's biggest and best city..

My point?? For f*** sake new yorkers - do not lower yourselves to these pitiful converstations with chicagoans that never go anywhere. And don't waste your time on Chicago. Stay in NYC - there are plenty of great places on the east coast. Our go to America's 2nd city (no - not chicago) L.A. - and avoid the boring smelly midwest altogether. I prefer the laid back monterey area for the true west coast

I'm sure there will be many chicagoans upset and whining and moaning about this posting.. but of course that proves my point (see above)
You complain about Chicagoans being overly defensive about their city and yet post belittling garbage like this???

Whoa, way to be a hypocrite. Can I break the Chicago mold and tell you that you live in a great city, or would that be wrong because I live in the "smelly" midwest and am a Chicagoan?

Old 07-10-2008, 05:20 AM

263 posts, read 798,456 times
Guys guys please! Practice peace- like I do.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:47 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Personally, I like how the Chicago crowd defends their city. It's a great place. But I think they do themselves a major injustice when they constantly compare it to NYC. NYC is the 800 pound gorilla in the room. Midtown Manhattan which is less than 10 square miles has more office space than Chicago (second ) and DC (third) combined! One subway line in NY carries more passengers a day than the entire DC Metro (second) & the CTA (third) combined. You can't compare a city of 8 million people to 2 million. Believe it or not, if you go to other east coast cities like Boston & DC you don't hear or see the comparisons or inferiority complex. People could care less about NY in that aspect. Looking from the outside, I think people on the coasts have a negative view of the midwest in general but not of Chicago. But from the posts I have seen, many Chicagoans feel they have to prove they don't live in the middle of a cornfield like people from Indianapolis (just kidding). Coincidentally, Michael Jordan was born in NYC!

Last edited by DC's Finest; 07-10-2008 at 09:04 AM..

Old 07-10-2008, 09:09 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:

Sleeping in Skyscrapers needs to be Jumping Off Skyscrapers (sans any safety devices).

Please.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:15 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
I think this whole thread reeks of hyperbole and straw-man arguments.

Chicagoans don't think Chicago is bigger than NYC. They don't think it's more culturally significant or more well-recognized, internationally.

Chicago does get guff from the coasties from time to time, and I think some of the swagger is a reaction to the perennial minimization of Chicago in comparison to the coasts.

I don't think for a moment that Chicago is bigger or better than NYC, but it's CERTAINLY better for me for lots of reasons. I think the majority of people who've lived in both places (as I did, albeit for a very short time in NYC) would agree that Chicago is probably more livable and a tad less intense. It's much smaller, though it's still a massive city in its own way.

NYC is in a class by itself. I think that Chicago is, too. In fact, most major world cities are. Paris isn't London. Tokyo isn't Hong Kong.

Comparisons are pointless.

This thread's title is also kinda ridiculous.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,460 times
ny and chi are both world class cities that make a stunning impression.

some chicagoans do inflate their town ad nauseum and belittle the rest of the midwest, which is silly.

the midwest is not boring or flyover, unless that's the perception you want to hold on to. chi is not st. louis, st. louis is not cincinnati, cincinnati is not cleveland, and cleveland is not detroit.

chicago is cleaner and prettier, but ny is more original.

chicago is more livable.

ny is more entertaining.

i choose ny, but chicago is a great city as well. also, all of the hate on la on city data is unwarranted. sure, it is sprawled, but it has it's own architecture and vibe that is unique and cool.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:21 AM

162 posts, read 271,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
You a New Yorker brought up a thread that has been dead for 4 months to complain about complaining? The irony is too much for me. I don't believe what you said because living here, Chicago, not visiting, I don't hear anything about the city mentioned. Unless you were starting arguments with drunks then your story is a fallacy.

Are you serious? All of the other buildings had to be like the Monadnock, very thick brick walls to be taller than others. The Home Insurance Building was the first of it's kind to have a metal skeleton.

I was hoping someone would say this.
Why is everyone calling him a New Yorker?

I think he's from/lives St. Louis, ironically.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:37 AM

210 posts, read 1,139,257 times
Most major U.S cities aren't better or worse than another. It's basically what you like, some people enjoy living in NYC and think it's exciting and full of culture, others think it's too expensive and crowded. Some people love Los Angeles and enjoy the beautiful weather and diversity others think Los Angeles is too fake and compalin about the smog. Some people think Chicago is a cheap alternative to NYC and has just as much entertainment, others think it's boring and too dangerous. Basically cities are like clothes, everyone has there own personal style and what works for someone else might not work for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City