Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 03:22 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times

Advertisements

Steve,

I have to give you credit. At least you will go down with a sinking ship!

Old 07-10-2008, 03:25 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,606,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
PR,

But the stuff I have seen blows anything I've seen in the midwest out of the water. NY is flat but it also has mountains, lakes, an ocean, valleys, etc.. (scenery). Most of the midwest is very flat and boring.
Ok, lets see does the midwest have mountains? Yep, The Porcupine Mountains in Michigan. Does the Midwest have lakes? Yep, Illinois has some beautiful lakes in the southern portion of the state. Wisconsin has the northwoods and the highest concentration of inland lakes in the world. Plus the Midwest has the great lakes. Valleys? Check out many cities along the Missippi river in Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin. They are all located in valleys. You said scenery is why the west and northeast is better than the midwest. Why do so many people come to the midwest and go wow I didn't realize it was so beautiful etc. People underestimate the region so much. I think Indiana gets the worst bashing of them all. Indiana has the hollers in the southern part of the state like Switzerland county or Madison, Indiana itself.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Hey, whatever floats your boat. Just curious if youve been to the Sleeping Bear Dunes? Traverse City? Oval Beach? Porcupine Mountains? Ozarks? LaRue/Pine Hills? Shawnee National Forest? Matthiessen Canyon? Brown County? Galena? Saugatuck? Starved Rock? Garden of the Gods? Cahokia Mounds? Sawtooth Mountains? Lutsen Mountains? Red Wing? Indiana Dunes? Devils Lake? Rib Mountain? Minocqua? Lacrosse? Flint Hills? Cimarron Grasslands? Nachusa Grasslands? Mississippi Palisades? Caney Mountain Refuge?

Holy cow, Im not even scratching the surface here. Most people dont know a dang thing about the midwest, including lifers.

Great Post Steve-o!

Old 07-10-2008, 03:29 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
JoshB - I do agree with you that Indiana gets rather unfairly bashed. I've spent loads of times at the Dunes over the course my childhood and even now I go fairly often, a lot of people don't even know they exist. However, if you asked me I'd rather spend the weekend at the Indiana Dunes or the weekend at that place on the coast of Maine my grandparents loved to go, well, I'd have to go with Maine, but I'd enjoy both, and I guess that is pretty much my point. While there are certainly some lovely parts of this part of the country, there is simply another part I prefer when it comes to natural scenery.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:29 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,322 times
I think what Steve-o means is, have you ever actually gotten out of your car to go hiking through any of Michigan's state parks? Have you ever gone swimming in the Great Lakes? Have you been skiing on any of our big hills? Have you been to Door County yet? What about the Wisconsin Dells, Galena, or even Lake Geneva?

Chances are you have only seen the big city. But, there are tons of other places to see, and plenty of things to do. Sure, you're not going to consider Iowa or Indiana a dream vacation, but these places are still worth checking out.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:30 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
Josh,

I'm not saying its ugly just boring. How can you compare lakes to an ocean? The mountains in the midwest are hills compared to the Appalachian, Blue Ridge, Poconos, Catskills, and Adirondack Mountains. Have you ever driven into NYC from the GW Bridge? You cross into Upper Manhattan on cliffs. Have you ever driven on the GW parkway in DC. Part of the parkway rises up over the potomac on a cliff and you can see all of Georgetown DC on a winters day. That's scenery!

Old 07-10-2008, 03:37 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
I think what Steve-o means is, have you ever actually gotten out of your car to go hiking through any of Michigan's state parks? Have you ever gone swimming in the Great Lakes? Have you been skiing on any of our big hills? Have you been to Door County yet? What about the Wisconsin Dells, Galena, or even Lake Geneva?
Yes, I've been to the UP, hiked Tahquanemon Falls, grew up swimming in the Great Lakes etc. Believe it or not, one can do such things and still prefer another region of the country. Remember I grew up in Chicago, it isn't like I just moved to the Midwest last year.

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Steve,

I have to give you credit. At least you will go down with a sinking ship!
What the heck is that supposed to mean?

You need to see the midwest, instead of on the highways. Youd be AMAZED at whats out there, stuff you never imagined. Sure the midwest has lots of cornfields, but do you count inland CA as ugly, since a lot of it is flat and full of agriculture, too? What about eastern Colorado? Parts of Northern AZ? South central NM? What about 85% of TX? Mississippi? Florida? Eastern Tennessee? 80% of South Carolina? Central North Carolina? Parts of Pennsylvania? Rhode Island? A lot of NJ? How about Northern and western Kentucky? Those are surely flat as a board, but is that different???? Im willing to bet youll say "yes". Right?

Arguing this is ridiculous because EVERY state has a region thats not appealing to some, yet appealing to others. I find as much beauty in IL's Nachusa Grasslands as I do in the Grand Tetons, its all how you look at it. I think Josh and I have shown enough examples (we can go on if you want lol) of midwest beauty. If you guys fail to see the beauty then youre either A) blind or B) very ignorant.

DC's Finest, I have been to the Appalachians four times. I've been to DC once and even checked out George Washingtons Homestead on the Potomac. It was breathtaking indeed. I'm just saying not every region has the perfect geographic setting. The Midwest is so underrated. Recently I was reading an article by a Magazine company that had said that the Apostle Islands was one of the best kept secret National Parks in the U.S. I can't remember the magazine. The Apostles placed first!

Virginia, And the rest of the Appalachian states are beautiful indeed. People just need to get out more. There is more to Illinois than Chicago. There is more to Iowa than cornfields. There is more to Wisconsin than cheese etc.

Last edited by JoshB; 07-10-2008 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: had to fix typo

Old 07-10-2008, 03:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
I'm not saying its ugly just boring.
How does that make sense?

Quote:
How can you compare lakes to an ocean?
The Great Lakes LOOK like an ocean, minus the saltwater and nasty fauna that live in them. If youre on a bluff in WI overlooking Lake Michigan, the water looks NO DIFFERENT than if you were staring out into the Atlantic.

Quote:
The mountains in the midwest are hills compared to the Appalachian, Blue Ridge, Poconos, Catskills, and Adirondack Mountains.
True, in a sense. However, parts of upper MI and the Ozarks in MO are very reminiscent up upstate NY. I suggest you try them sometime.

Quote:
Have you ever driven into NYC from the GW Bridge? You cross into Upper Manhattan on cliffs.
And you do the same in Red Wing, MN.

Quote:
Have you ever driven on the GW parkway in DC. Part of the parkway rises up over the potomac on a cliff and you can see all of Georgetown DC on a winters day. That's scenery!
You can do that in Galena, IL, too. Not to mention many other towns...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City